The Tale of Dan Enos: Failure In Numbers

God help us all.

Those stats belie the fact that he's an elite coordinator because there are a multitude of factors, such as personnel, which influence offensive production. That said, even a cursory breakdown of his 2015 offense by @ghost2 shows the depth of his scheme and creativity of his play-calling.

This is NOT going to be as in-depth or thorough as @Lance Roffers posts, but I thought I'd take that 2015 Arkansas/Auburn vid that was posted earlier and break it down just a little bit. For reference, the video can be found here:

1st play: single back, trips WR to the wide side, and 1 TE. Inside run with Alex Collins gets a couple yards. Interestingly, the slot WR runs a screen and the other 2 WR block down - possible RPO? If so, the screen would have been the better choice as the DBs were playing way off.

2nd and 7: single back, 2 WRs, 2 TEs. Strong side TE and WR run outs, Weakside TE runs a curl, WR runs a go. Complete to the TE on the out route right at the sticks.

1st down: I form, 2 TE, 1 WR. 2 TEs motion to the strongside creating an unbalanced line. Toss sweep to the strong side picks up 7.

2nd and 3: single back, 2 WR, 2 TE. Guard pulls but gets held up and the run gets stuffed for only 2.

3rd and 1: I form, 1 TE, 2 WR. Playaction and the TE runs a nice corner route for 25 yards. Already I'm seeing things I like from an OC - playing against the formation. Lines up 3 WR - run. Lines up in the I - pass. So far so good here.

1st down: I form, 1 TE, 2 WR. Playaction again. WRs run crossing post/corners. FB runs a short out. QB hits the corner for another big gain. Something else that Enos does out of the I that I like - uses the RBs in the pass game, and not the same way every time. Sometimes its the RB, sometimes the FB running patterns but he's using every position on the field very intentionally.

1st down on the 11 yard line: single back, 2 TE, 2 WR. 2 TEs line up strongside again, short side WR goes in motion(!!!!!) and takes a jet sweep in for the TD. Very effective first drive.

DRIVE SUMMARY - 7 plays, 75 yards. 4 runs (1 jet sweep!), 3 passes.

Second Drive, 1st play: single back, 2 TE, 2 WR balanced formation again. Playaction again on 1st down and QB hits a nice deep out to the WR for 15 yards.

1st down: I form, 1 TE, 2 WR. Inside run gets 6.

2nd and 4: single back, 3 WR, 1 TE. Nifty play design here - Slot WR runs a screen while the Z WR sells a block, drawing the DBs to the sideline on the screen . WR then leaks out of the block behind the DBs and the QB hits him on a slant for good yardage. Pass was a little high or it could've gone for even more.

1st down: single back, 2 TE, 2 WR. TEs line up unbalanced again, then one motions pre-snap into a FB/H-back position. Inside power run (guard pulls and runs a trap) gets 7.

2nd and 3: I form, 1 TE, 2 WR. Twin WRs to the short side. Power run off tackle gets 3 for the first down.

1st down: I form, 1 TE, 2 WR. Playaction looking deep (guard pulls again to sell the run.) Well covered and incomplete.

2nd and 10: single back, 2 TE (unbalanced), 2 WR. False start.

2nd and 15: single back, 2 TE (balanced), twin WRs to the wide side. Tackle gets beat and QB is sacked.

3rd and 24: shotgun, 1 RB, 1 TE, 3 WR. QB bails for no reason, rolling out and sails one incomplete.

DRIVE SUMMARY: 8 plays, 30 yards. 3 runs, 5 passes (1 sack.)

Third Drive, 1st play: I form, 2 TE, 1 WR (short side). Playaction rollout to the short side. WR runs a deep curl but QBs throw is high and he can't get his foot down.

2nd and 10: single back, 2 TE (unbalanced - he uses this a LOT), 2 WR. Toss sweep gets 9.

3rd and 1: single back, 2 TE (unbalanced, but motion across the formation to balanced) - QB sneak gets the first down.

1st down: shotgun, 1 RB, 4 WR. RB stays in to block, QB throws to the short side WR on a curl but it's well covered, incomplete.

2nd and 10: single back, 2 TE, 2 WR. Quick WR screen gets 9 (DB was playing way off.)

3rd and 1: I form, 3 TE. Power toss sweep to short side gets 4 and picks up the first.

1st and 10: Couldn't see the initial formation here but looks like single back, 2 TE, 2 WR twins to the wide side. Another toss to the short side and a nice cutback gets 8.

2nd and 2: single back, 2 TE (unbalanced), 2 WR. TE motions to H-back, inside run gets stuffed for a short gain. End of 1st quarter.

3rd and 1: single back, 2 TE (unbalanced), 2 WR - field side WR is lined up close almost as an in-line TE. Inside run picks up the 1st.

1st and 10: single back, 2 TE (balanced), 2 WR. WR motions and sells the jet sweep, playaction to the RB. DBs get sucked in to the motioning WR leaving the X WR uncovered. Pitch and catch for a TD. Nice play call, building off of the previous jet sweep that led to the first TD.

DRIVE SUMMARY: 10 plays, 60 yards. 6 runs, 4 passes.

I won't go play-by-play on the other drives just due to time constraints, but some things I really like:

- multiple formations (he does go 4 and 5 wide quite often in this video, both shotgun and under center, just FYI)
- plays that set up other plays - the jet sweep/fake jet sweep, WR screen/WR slant, etc. There was even a designed power QB keeper off of that WR screen that caught everyone napping, it was great
- formation tendency breakers - running out of 3 and 4 wide sets, throwing out of I-form
- sticking with what works - he ran the toss sweep at least 2-3 more times, and each time it was good for 5-6 yards
- conscious and intelligent use of spacing, both in formations and routes - WRs were lined up twins, trips, close, wide, bunch. Smart route combinations working the middle and sidelines as well as short, med, and deep routes
- TEs and RBs are nearly always part of the passing game, and the best part is it's very difficult to tell who stays in to block and who runs routes based on formations and tendencies. That's a big plus for me
- conversely, he often uses the TEs and backs as extra blockers, as well as some max protect play calls, to assist the QB and OL - that's good news for whoever our QB is, IMO
- use of motion to assist the QB and set up the play (not just moving from pistol to shotgun every play...)

I'm still really really curious to hear Enos' presser and really get a feel for what he wants to do here at Miami. Just based on some limited game film, it's obvious to me that Enos knows how to craft a gameplan and call intelligent plays. What I want to know now is how he's going to maximize our speed at the skill positions while minimizing our OL deficiencies to give us the best possible schematic advantage. As always, I welcome any and all feedback!

Last edited:
Advertisement
Did the former Richt ***** destroy this thread yet. They want you to blindly follow all hires and never throw up any potential red flags.

Did the former Richt ***** destroy this thread yet. They want you to blindly follow all hires and never throw up any potential red flags.

Admitting you are blind is a good start. Looking forward to your deaf and dumb confession. The **** reference you snowflakes turn to when losing a debate is a nice touch. Although, not also being called a racist tells me you are off your game. Is everything okay at home (mommy and daddy's home, of course).

If Fedora is such a star, please explain to me why NO ONE has hired him. I have a novel suggestion: Give the poor guy a chance and see how he does. BTW I’ll take Nick Saban’s evaluation before anyone posting on a fan’s messageboard

Ignore him, once everyone starts liking the hire, he will change his mind. He did the same for Manny, When everyone here wanted Manny(before Richt retired) he made a long thread about how awesome Manny was. After this site hated the Manny hire, the dork went back and edited his Manny lovefest thread. He'll do the same thing here. If Enos works out, expect this thread to magically vanish.

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics."

You make fools appear to be informed and bright. Yes, I know, that's another of your Gator traits!

You must be 90 years old. Stat's have changed everything across the sports world.

Advertisement
The oxygen for you Herd members is negativity. No matter the situation you whiners will find a way to belittle the Canes football program.

Well, apparently while Enos was kicked-back, with his feet on his desk sipping on a fine Columbian coffee Nick Saban saw something that you, the guy much, much smarter than Saban, doesn't see.

Excuse me for my bad manners, but I am going with Saban's opinion over yours, despite knowing you've been coaching at the highest levels of college football over the last 30 years and have 6 National Championships on your resume.
Another reality check, if Saban thought so highly of Enos he would still be at Bama. As we all know pockets at Bama are deep, so I am in agreement with you, value Saban's knowledge and experience without a doubt and in the end he let the guy walk.

If Fedora is such a star, please explain to me why NO ONE has hired him. I have a novel suggestion: Give the poor guy a chance and see how he does. BTW I’ll take Nick Saban’s evaluation before anyone posting on a fan’s messageboard
In the end Nick Saban's evaluation was let the guy go, you honestly don't think Bama could have outbid Miami?

Diaz didn’t have godly #s as a DC before coming to Miami. Texas fired his *** after giving up 550+ yds to BYU.

But his defense works great down here.

Jimmy Johnson was a mediocre coach at Okie St before coming to Miami.

The talent you have can make or break your scheme. Enos’s scheme works with the kind of athletes we get at TE, RB, slot WR.

The big Qwill be OL. That’s always a concern.

Advertisement
In the end Nick Saban's evaluation was let the guy go, you honestly don't think Bama could have outbid Miami?
Rumor from Bama boards is that Enos wanted to hire his guys for offensive assets and that Saban wasn’t ok with that.

Also rumors that the wife wasn’t happy in Alabama. It ain’t always about money w these guys. As long as we got in the ballpark, and Saban didn’t offer 2 mil or some ****, then we were fine.

It's not always about money man.

Richt just retired and left 16 million on the table.

Enos himself said there were several factors in play.

We stole Enos from Bama AND Georgia.

Advertisement
Rumor from Bama boards is that Enos wanted to hire his guys for offensive assets and that Saban wasn’t ok with that.

Also rumors that the wife wasn’t happy in Alabama. It ain’t always about money w these guys. As long as we got in the ballpark, and Saban didn’t offer 2 mil or some ****, then we were fine.
If accurate, he wanted to trump Saban and bring in 'his guys', where exactly would 'his guys' have come from, in twenty plus years of coaching this
guy hasn't stayed employed in any one spot too long.

It's not always about money man.

Richt just retired and left 16 million on the table.

Enos himself said there were several factors in play.

We stole Enos from Bama AND Georgia.
First off, prior to his retirement most here thought he was a fool, after leaving $16 m on the table, it has now been established as fact.
Most here are claiming Miami outbid Bama and Georgia for Enos' services, apparently not the case, if it wasn't about money question is then how do you steal this guy?

Maybe you don’t understand the business. Enos himself said it is all about timing in the profession. You have to evaluate the opportunities you have and Enos liked Miami more than the Bama deal. Also no one said anything about Bama’s ability to outbid UM except you

Advertisement
First off, prior to his retirement most here thought he was a fool, after leaving $16 m on the table, it has now been established as fact.
Most here are claiming Miami outbid Bama and Georgia for Enos' services, apparently not the case, if it wasn't about money question is then how do you steal this guy?

So you’re making my point. It’s not always about money. People make decisions sometimes that aren’t just financially motivated.

If Richt was just about the money, he wouldn’t have retired and left 16 million on the table.

No one here is saying we outbid Bama. You’re saying Bama didn’t want him. I disagree.

You must be 90 years old. Stat's have changed everything across the sports world.

So, you must be five years old as you have not one clue about what you are blathering on about.

Without all of the variables factored in, Einstien, statistics are **** on a bull and are typically used by people who are trying to defend a position. If the statistics, as stated, do not lend credence to an argument then they are conveniently left out of the debate.

As Andrew Lang observed; “You use statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts... for support rather than illumination.”

But, you, as one of the king haters, HERD member, I find it interesting that you are trotting in and protecting a Gator. That's something you NEVER see from a true Cane, but not you! Why?

Tip O' The Day: Don't bring a squirt gun brain to an AK47 intellectual fight.

Another reality check, if Saban thought so highly of Enos he would still be at Bama. As we all know pockets at Bama are deep, so I am in agreement with you, value Saban's knowledge and experience without a doubt and in the end he let the guy walk.

Just incredible, pulling out an oldie but goldie, did all of you HERD members eat lead paint chips as kids?

It was widely reported that Saban was going to appoint Enos as the Tide's Offensive Coordinator, which, in fact, means he wanted him to stay.

A man of Saban's stature is not going to beg a potential employee to stay as there are countless potential O-coordinators from around the country jumping up and down shouting at Saban; Pick me! Pick me! Pick me!

In other words, he would never set that precedent as that quickly becomes a slippery slope in regards to other potential hires.

So you’re making my point. It’s not always about money. People make decisions sometimes that aren’t just financially motivated.

If Richt was just about the money, he wouldn’t have retired and left 16 million on the table.

No one here is saying we outbid Bama. You’re saying Bama didn’t want him. I disagree.
I am saying Bama did not want he badly. Locksely leaves he's next in line and would imagine with number of coaches [coordinators] Saban
has had he would have wanted to hire from within for some degree of continuity, obviously did not turn out that way. People here seem
overly ecstatic about the hiring and frankly don't see much on his resume that warrants such behavior other than he coached at Bama
a year.

Advertisement
Back