The Story on Jaden Davis

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
UM's recruiting strategy at corner has been to secure commitments over the summer so that they know what they have going into the fall season while they wait on bigger names.

Miami has been aggressive pushing for commits at corner, as we reported was a factor in UM parting ways with Chris Steele early last week. Miami was waiting on Steele to decide before moving down their board.

The Canes then brought two corners in last Thursday for visits, one of whom committed in Jarvis Brownlee, and the other in Jaden Davis. Brownlee has been a priority and high on UM's board since he was offered; his spot was there for him to take regardless. However, the parting ways with Steele directly opened up an opportunity for Davis, who was not previously considered a take. A source close to the Davis recruitment told me Davis was given the opportunity to commit on the spot by Manny Diaz. However, Davis' father preferred that Davis take some official visits before deciding, to which Diaz said they would not wait on Davis. Davis left without committing.

In short, Miami had been keeping in touch with Te'Cory Couch and gave him the same opportunity some time after this; Couch hopped on it.

Those at DB that UM will still make a spot for regardless? Tyrique Stevenson, Mark-Antony Richards, and Akeem Dent. Chris Steele was previously in this tier. I'm also hearing Jordan Battle is pushing his way into this tier as well.

Advertisement
UM's recruiting strategy at corner has been to secure commitments over the summer so that they know what they have going into the fall season while they wait on bigger names.

Miami has been aggressive pushing for commits at corner, as we reported was a factor in UM parting ways with Chris Steele early last week. Miami was waiting on Steele to decide before moving down their board.

The Canes then brought two corners in last Thursday for visits, one of whom committed in Jarvis Brownlee, and the other in Jaden Davis. Brownlee has been a priority and high on UM's board since he was offered; his spot was there for him to take regardless. However, the parting ways with Steele directly opened up an opportunity for Davis, who was not previously considered a take. A source close to the Davis recruitment told me Davis was given the opportunity to commit on the spot by Manny Diaz. However, Davis' father preferred that Davis take some official visits before deciding, to which Diaz said they would not wait on Davis. Davis left without committing.

In short, Miami had been keeping in touch with Te'Cory Couch and gave him the same opportunity some time after this; Couch hopped on it.

Those at DB that UM will still make a spot for regardless? Tyrique Stevenson, Mark-Antony Richards, and Akeem Dent. Chris Steele was previously in this tier. I'm also hearing Jordan Battle is pushing his way into this tier as well.

Thanks keep the great info coming 💯

Advertisement
Good stuff Stefan. If Davis was given the chance to commit and passed it up, that's on him. Maybe he'll still end up a Cane, but the way we've been burned in the past you can't blame the staff for wanting to secure spots early.

Couch, Brownlee, and Davis are all Miami-caliber, so if Couch wants to be here more I've got no problem with how it was handled

Thanks Stefan. I have a feeling Puckett isn't far from that make room group either....But not sure how we are on his list.

People were talking about the staff having to change their ways after us getting burned so many times and well..... this is it! No games no bs! Hey you want a spot? Commit rn? Oh you arent ready? NEXT. Now the ones that are way far ahead talent wise, you always take those regardless. However, when there isnt much separation this is the way to go. This is how you loose Tyson Campbell yet get Asante Samuels. Love it.

Advertisement
who was the guy on here saying we wouldn't take more than 4 DBs? 10Cane or something? Yea we r def taking 5-6.

I think we got the best three available after Elam, who wasn't interested. Not worried at all about Couch's weight. Felder will have us fans complaining he's fighting for a DT spot with Deejay Dallas after a few months of an S&C and nutrition program.

I like Davis' game. He played a lot more than Blades last season which shows he can compete, and he'll make a good if not great college player. But I question his maturity. Early on, he was all UF, even a little negative about Miami, then he flipped and became pro Miami and anti UF.

I realize it's all fun for a young guy of 16 or 17. But he just seemed "unfocused" to me, and the type of kid who might jump ship late in the day if we did give him a hard offer. Whereas I expect Good and Couch will be locked and loaded, and become ambassadors for the class.

Not 100% about Brownlee after his interview. We'll have to see about that. Hopefully just a deer in the headlights moment.

Advertisement
who was the guy on here saying we wouldn't take more than 4 DBs? 10Cane or something? Yea we r def taking 5-6.

Not me, but I did say I'd be surprised if we took more than 6 DBs + Richards as an athlete. We have a lot of other spots needing depth, as well. Gotta add at least 6 on the DL, for example, hopefully 7. I was expecting 2 CBs, 1 nickle and 2 safeties, plus Richards = 6. But it looks like they're gunning for at least 1, probably 2 more.

Interesting tactic. That pretty much means the staff graded out Couch and Davis at the same level. I'm all for adding Battle to the Stevenson, MAR, and Dent tier. Also, I like the aggressiveness by the staff but I hope they are doing their due diligence with their board and not settling for guys lower just because they will commit on spot.

The Recruiting Board
I like the aggressiveness by the staff but I hope they are doing their due diligence with their board and not settling for guys lower just because they will commit on spot.

Couch is a 4 star who already decommitted from Tenn and Michigan, correct? I wouldn't call that "lower". His only question mark is his ability to gain good weight, which I don't think is going to be a problem. Other than Elam, who hasn't shown any sustained interest, there's no one in this class who is as well rounded as the top 2017 kids. I think coaches took the best fit out there (Couch) and two projects with tremendous upside (Good and Brownlee).

Advertisement
@Stefan Adams do you know how many players we’re taking this cycle?

Hate to see kids get pushed out late but I don’t see how we can take everybody plus the ones we have committed.

Ive been waiting for the Davis info! Thanks! Ive been on here goin crazy as to why he isnt a Cane! Thanks for the clarity i was thinkin it was staff but they gave him a choice hopefully we get him tho i like Good juat think hes a drop unless we **** the pot an i dont expect that to happen!!

@Stefan Adams do you know how many players we’re taking this cycle?

Hate to see kids get pushed out late but I don’t see how we can take everybody plus the ones we have committed.

In totality, there's never a set number the coaching staff has, it's always a range. The general baseline would be 23-27; the higher end if UM hits on their top targets, the lower end if they do not. As I'm sure you're aware, Richt is not a fan of filling spots just to fill them, and will go under the scholarship limit if UM misses on too many top targets.

As for corner, I've heard multiple numbers throughout the cycle since it began in February. Originally it was one, then the board expanded as UM found more prospects it liked. Then it was two with a CB/S swing spot available. Now it's three. A lot will also depend on what position Mark-Antony Richards decides to play if he signs with Miami and if he makes that decision in advance or sometime after he signs.

And I agree with your second statement. I don't believe all three current corner commits (Good, Brownlee, Couch) will ultimately sign with UM.

Advertisement
Back