The state of the OL

Two things can be true.... Yes more starts together does not mean bad players suddenly turn good but you would also prefer to have an experienced line than an inexperienced one.
Experience doesn’t necessarily mean “better” but if you’ve got a bunch of average talent on your line, like we do, it’s much better to have experienced average talent. Sometimes an experienced line can be greater than the sum of it’s parts.

Advertisement
Sadly, now Sebastian and Williams will not be allowed to be on the field at the same time...
Williams will have to throw in the #84 jersey before participating in any end zone celebration with our mascot.

I think the signing of Justice Oluwaseun should tell you everything you need to know about the state of the offensive line.

Just a bunch of guys. Now, they are a bunch of guys that have started a lot of football games...A LOT. And that always counts for something positive, but I am sure they are still a bit concerned in the room with how good this unit will be.

I think Oluwaseun will eventually start for us in 2021. He's probably one of our five best right now and his versatility at worst makes him the first guy off the bench at multiple spots.
one of my post above said the exact same thing you said.

If his prior coach offered him he knows his abilities as well as the guys in his rooms abilities. Especially coming from a lower level of play.

Screenshot_20210602-102043(1).png

Something to be very happy about. An inshape Donaldson is a NFL guard. Hope he continues to improve. He'll be a major help in the run game.

Advertisement
View attachment 147299

Something to be very happy about. An inshape Donaldson is a NFL guard. Hope he continues to improve. He'll be a major help in the run game.

Literally and figuratively huge if this holds up through the season. Donaldson has all the potential to be a high round draft choice, just needed to commit to S&C and get healthy. He will absolutely make a difference inside if he's in peak form.

Advertisement
The OL should be good enough to compete in the awful Coastal.

I think Bama exposes them for what they are nationally. I even think MSU pushes them around, just in a lesser way.
Michigan State was 55th against the run last year. They were 100th in scoring defense. Their defense is no better than most of the teams in our division. Duke is probably the only team I can say they’re better than. If they push us around, our line got significantly worse.

View attachment 147299

This is a game-changer. This dude can move people and if he is motivated our OL is going to look much better on the interior.

Last edited:
2 things:

I'd feel a little better if that # of starts was with the players at a consistent position.
Meaning, how many starts as a unit will our OL have on 9/4?

Our ypc vs p5 was 3.9.
Yes, that includes sack #'s, but our RB's averaged 3.92 ypc vs p5 teams.
10 carries for 11 yards vs Clemson.
No bueno.

With that, I do believe it comes together this season and we will have "good" OL play.

Advertisement
With that, I do believe it comes together this season and we will have "good" OL play.
I agree. I think people are reading these positive reports and they’re confusing “good” with “dominant”. We should have a solid offensive line this year. Will they just push everyone around? Of course not. Will they hold their own? Yeah, I think so. There’s a portion of the fanbase that thinks anything less than absolutely dominating everyone is a failure.

Michigan State was 55th against the run last year. They were 100th in scoring defense. Their defense is no better than most of the teams in our division. Duke is probably the only team I can say they’re better than. If they push us around, our line got significantly worse.

Not to mention nearly 30 guys bolting through the portal:

Advertisement
When Big Vaughn choke slam one of Bama 5 stars, mu pluckers gon realize how serious this **** is.

I have no illusions about being in Bama's league overall. But we are competitive at certain positions. And I agree that a fit and healthy Vaughn can go punch for punch with Bama DTs. I know that's asking a lot. But he's got it in him. Will be a money game for him, so I'm really looking forward to watching him finally hit his stride.

Advertisement
Back