The stadium heat (and a PSA)

Thanks for posting..I was going to say those 2 games by far were the hottest...and the 2000 game I believe ran out of beer and water by half...
That was like the trials of Job....epic but was an absolute gauntlet...people were holding each other up getting out of there
Imagine standing on the sidelines at the 2000 FSU game....atleast 10-15 degrees hotter than the stands.

Advertisement
1987 UM/UF game in OB was hottest game ever. They ran out of ice before halftime and ran out of water in the third quarter. People were passing out in the stands. Absolutely brutal.

Seen lots of comments but thought it deserved its own thread call out. The heat yesterday at the stadium, specifically the parking lot, was brutal. Someone here claimed it was one of the hottest days ever at Hard Rock and I believe it. Personally saw a lot of students and younger crews get wrecked by not bringing enough water, proceeding to drink, get burned af etc. I got asked if had extra water more than once from some desperate souls.

Given the hype around the program, it’s a pretty good assumption that a lot of fans haven’t been to a game in awhile (or at all) and I think some aggressive PSAs from the program and stadium are in order for the next home games. My personal PSA looks something like.

1. The concrete, cars, and time spent in the tailgating areas will make it feel even hotter than your app tells you it will be. Be prepared. Once in the parking lot, your options are limited.

2. Water. It can be gotten in the stadium for $5 but always bring your own especially if you are tailgating awhile. Be responsible for your own water supply, do not trust friends or others to bring enough for themselves and you. Personally verify there is enough water for your entire group + some extra before getting to the stadium. This can make or break a good time and plain safety.

3. Ice. Similarly, be responsible for your own ice in a cooler. Pack your water in there first and then whatever else with what room you have left. Cold drinks and ice cubes on the skin can dramatically help avert heat exhaustion.

4. Sun protection. Put on sunscreen prior to arriving, especially face and neck, and keep putting it on through out. Hat is a must. Light long sleeves recommended.

5. Drink responsibly. A heat factor like yesterday means insane dehydration, which means you can not drink as much as you can normally handle and just be fine. You should be drinking a 1:1 ratio of water to alcoholic beverages to make sure you stay in top shape through out the game day experience.

Also, I felt particularly bad for the student section who got out of the oven of a parking lot only to have to bake in the sun some more. We need those guys to get loud af behind the opponent’s sideline, but that’s not gonna happen if their throats are as dry as the Sahara. In addition to aggressive PSAs, the program/stadium should be supplying the student section with free hats and water, as well as patrolling the parking lot with cold water availability. How you do anything is how you do everything.

Go Canes
I refilled my waters at the drinking fountain. My wife wouldn’t and spent $25 on just water there.

Advertisement
Yes. Water fountain worked just fine for this.
They need way, way, way more of them. Cleaner and advertised. They can have a million pointless reminders and distractions during the game, but can't get The Rock to record a message that it's hot and to refill your water? Also agree about student section, they were roasting, so we're the bands. We played with fire, I just wanna see us get ahead of it.

They need way, way, way more of them. Cleaner and advertised. They can have a million pointless reminders and distractions during the game, but can't get The Rock to record a message that it's hot and to refill your water? Also agree about student section, they were roasting, so we're the bands. We played with fire, I just wanna see us get ahead of it.
Reality is they need to save people from themselves and need to think of the water stations similar to the airport in the sense that many people will still buy the $5 waters, but the option is there for those that want to fill up, etc.

It was definitely a scorcher this past Saturday, but I honestly think it was just typical Florida weather. There actually was a nice breeze in the parking lot. I've endured worse spending Saturdays at the park watching my son play football and my daughter cheer for three games.

Advertisement
This dude gets it

It was definitely a scorcher this past Saturday, but I honestly think it was just typical Florida weather. There actually was a nice breeze in the parking lot. I've endured worse spending Saturdays at the park watching my son play football and my daughter cheer for three games.
Not on my side of the parking lot there wasn’t, at all.

Ok. Yellow lot on the east side was breezy. Tent even got away from us while setting up.
I was in Orange, I think I can count the number of breezes we felt over 3 hours on one hand. Each was like 10 seconds of bliss. Then the radiating heat from the sun and grills kicked back in.

Advertisement
You mean sitting out in SFL weather for 3 hours straight, drinking, and surrounded by nothing but cars and concrete further reflecting and amplifying the heat? For most of the younger crowd, probably yes and completely unsarcastically. This team has sucked, I myself hadn’t been to a game since Richt and should have brought more water and ice than I did.
FYI it is hot and humid in South Florida.......just sayin

Friendly pre-game bump as it will be hot and humid *af* tomorrow on those parking lots. Go Canes.

Advertisement
I know we seem to say this every few years.. I’m a Florida boy born, and raised.. this is truly a different type of Heat these last 2-3 weeks. Never felt it like this..

Feel like the devil having a block party outside 😂
Global warming. I’m in NY and this has been the most oppressively hot and humid summer I can recall in my 10 years here. I grew up in South Florida and can only imagine what it’s like now - and what it will be - down there.

1987 UM/UF game in OB was hottest game ever. They ran out of ice before halftime and ran out of water in the third quarter. People were passing out in the stands. Absolutely brutal.
I was at that game...And I firmly believe both 2000 & 2002 UM vs FSU were hotter...even 2013 UM vs UF was hot af Humidity wise

Global warming. I’m in NY and this has been the most oppressively hot and humid summer I can recall in my 10 years here. I grew up in South Florida and can only imagine what it’s like now - and what it will be - down there.
It was hot af this summer in SWFla....

Advertisement
Back