The Shaq/Pinckney Effect

I told you bums that money couldn’t recruit( my thread got locked) but you dumbasses said Manny was a savage. He has had like 5 years to recruit LBs and could not
i said his recruiting was a big concern before he even got here from temple. because it was. he’s not structured or disciplined. loves talk. doesn’t do the work

Advertisement
Safety play was better with Jaquan, too. I glanced at espn stats last night … JJ had 92 tackles in 2017, Bolden has 52.
Jaquan and Redwine were next level safeties, and checked all the boxes. They made tackles and interceptions. They erased defensive mistakes and rarely (I mean rarely) took bad angles or had blown assignments. Bolden and Carter seem slower, and they have no (or very few) interceptions, take bad angles all the time, blow their assignments, are poor in coverage and really are embarrassment to have a high safety back that who can’t really play “safety “ and allow the Canes to get gashed play after play.

I just hope we can keep our 2021 safeties the we recruited committed, then let them play early and often next season.

Oh for ***** sake. Here we are again.. Looking at a single position, as if that explains anything.

Todays spin the wheel of blame lands on not having shaq and Pinckney. Blame has been placed on the offensive coordinator, the qb, the qb coach, the kicker, the punter, the o-line, the the wrs, the corners, the linebackers, the cb coach, the linebacker coach and defensive coordinator.

At what point do we say the problem is with the guy in charge of all these coaches and positions?

Some are saying manny will fire the entire defensive staff and THEN things will work out. WTF is wrong with you people? Apply that to any other career. If you have to fire your entire staff after each of your first two years on the job, the problem is not with WHO you're hiring. The problem is YOU don't know who to hire to begin with. Why fire all these guys just to prop manny up for another year?

Manny always says the blame on me. Well.. its time to acknowledge what he's literally telling you.

Yesterday’s performance has its roots in the 2017 and 2018 recruiting classes. In those two years, Manny signed four LBs that would hopefully succeed Shaq and Pinckney. None of them were blue-chip prospects. The fans questioned his approach, but Manny believed in his vision and his profile for a LB.

Here are our national ranks in yards per carry defense since 2015. The years without Shaq and Pinckney are in bold:

2015: 120th
2016: 22nd
2017: 20th
2018: 37th
2019: 10th
2020: 92nd

There are a lot of reasons for that humiliation on Saturday. But this is a good place to start.

That's a good start but it's not the entire story.

DT play was better in front of those guys. DE's held the edge for those guys while Phillips and Roche continually dip inside and give up the edge. Shaq and Pinck were not fast enough to go sideline to sideline either so playing behind this Dline who does not contain their gaps would lead to the same issues. Maybe not 500 yards bad but a few hundred bad.

I have seen almost ZERO LB development since Manny arrived. That's incredibly sad being his position and now having 3 LB coaches on staff.

I've seen almost ZERO S development with this current crew. You can crown Banda all you want with guys in the past but i'm not. Going from prehistoric defense with Paul Williams as coach to a more modern D was enough for anyone to improve some, especially from a stats perspective to get the NFL's attention. But I live in the here and now. Carter, Gurv.....these guys continue to be the same players. Bolden came in with his hair on fire but now he's making business decisions with poor tackling technique. Dude looks like he's wearing peewee football shoulder pads. If that's why he's getting hurt and not tackling like before then put on some real pads! CB doesn't need further discussion because the depth and talent is abysmal. I like Couch and have hope for Clarke but that's about it.

Dline has been underwhelming. Half the time it looks like guys doing their own thing, leading to the occasional big TFL/sack but against good teams, a gashed D. Gap integrity, gap design, formation, hand technique......just bad.

You could make an argument UNC is the best offense in America.

NFL personnel all over.

Miami has bad LBers and a safety in Carter that isn’t good.

Combine that with Miami feeling good about themselves after winning 5 in a row, blowing out Duke, garnering a lot of award recognition this week, also combined with the NFL talk all week from reporters and fans, and Miami wasn’t focused at all.

They still can’t handle any success.
100% agree here. All week been worried about their talent as they got some good backs id take on phins. then all the Phillips, silvera, bolden, etc nfl talk started and you just know we don’t have a coach that has the strength or respect to stop it......recipe For ****

Advertisement
Fire Baker, find someone that runs a 4/3 and let Diaz and the new DC work together on the D. If the new DC wants to fire everybody so be it. I believe Striker and DL are the two coaches I’d keep but again...DC decides.

There is a ton of emotion over this loss. The offense sucked until the second half. The D never responded. Adding fuel, Mack Brown kept his starters in the game until the last drive. UNC likely has a top 3 offense in the country and our D didn’t create turn overs let alone stops.

Fans better get on board with Manny because 8-2 after last years record isn’t likely to have him fired. Further more, we need to close this class! 24 elite kids are needed bad. 5 CB on roster won’t cut it. WRs in this class will demand playing time over Wiggins and Pope who don’t have heart. OL depth and talent will be improved.... it sucks this had to happen right before ESD.

Let us not forget, most everyone had this team losing to Clemson, UNC at the beginning of the year. At least Miami beat the rest!

The other big hurdle for Miami and Manny is retaining talent. This is mostly about kids but also Lashlee. The coaches need to believe they are heading in the right direction or they will bounce too.

While I’m not sure about manny, I still want the best class possible! I want the kids to return for 2021 vs going to the NFL as udfa. I want manny to replace some of the D staff but timing doesn’t have to be today.

I underestimated Shaq and Pinckney so much, I knew we were in trouble when McCloud decided to RS last year, because he could never play as the #3 LB let alone the leader of the D

I would start with the DT’s then LB’s following. Shaq and Pinckney were solid but wouldn’t change last night’s outcome. D$ reaching.

Blaming players or position groups is pointless. We didn’t show up for the game. We had Shaq and Pinckney on the team and got humiliated by FIU and La Tech.

Manure is the problem. The players don’t respect him and decided to end the season after their National Championship domination of Puke.
Yes and no! Our defense never got pounded out. If we had this offense with that defense it’s a different tune.

our offense last year was some of the worst football my 2 eyes ever seen!

Advertisement
Also y’all gotta remember the anticipation that pickney especially played with. That dude was a beast with it

Yesterday’s performance has its roots in the 2017 and 2018 recruiting classes. In those two years, Manny signed four LBs that would hopefully succeed Shaq and Pinckney. None of them were blue-chip prospects. The fans questioned his approach, but Manny believed in his vision and his profile for a LB.

Here are our national ranks in yards per carry defense since 2015. The years without Shaq and Pinckney are in bold:

There are a lot of reasons for that humiliation on Saturday. But this is a good place to start.
The Dline play yesterday was as poor as anything I’ve seen as well. How many times did Phillips and Roche run straight down hill to vacate their gap for gashes for days. I know LBs have to fill but we never adjusted or got in their faces to hold the point of attack and quit rushing straight up for sacks all game. It was so ******* pathetic.

Shaq and Pinckney weren’t good either and whenever we played elite offenses with them we got steamrolled.

UNC last year is not the same team as it is this year.

I’ll repeat it again: Manny Diaz defenses since 2016 give up 36 ppg against top ten teams. This isn’t bc of Shaq and Pinckney being gone, and no LB recruit is going to save it.

Advertisement
IDGAF if you gotta bunch of 0 stars out there, there's no excuse for giving up the most rushing yds. in the history of Miami football, none. UNC's opponent before us (Western Carolina) gave up 231 yds. rushing, you mean to tell me they have better LBs than us? Nahhhhh, it's coaching.

The Dline play yesterday was as poor as anything I’ve seen as well. How many times did Phillips and Roche run straight down hill to vacate their gap for gashes for days. I know LBs have to fill but we never adjusted or got in their faces to hold the point of attack and quit rushing straight up for sacks all game. It was so ******* pathetic.

The defense is designed to get TFL and turnovers. They are taught to get through gaps. Bad teams get overwhelmed by this. Good ones exploit it. This has been going on for five seasons now.

Advertisement

So basically dIAZ has been horrible recruiting LBs. Plus his scheme sucks. its been bent over time and time again anytime a decent offense/coaching is on the other side.

Ehh. Personally I've said for ever that he a horrible recruiter. But several of those boys could and should be very good. Sam in particular. The problem is he flat out had no clue how to develop anyone. These kids are coming here and staying as the same talent they came in with or in most instances are regressing as they pick up bad habits. The fact he is clueless on managing a roster doesn't help. None of our rooms beyond safety and oline even have enough position kids to properly establish them with training and practice. Our safeties play out of position often. But why would that be a shock. Anyone who doesn't realize gil would be a beast at free is blind.
Yeah like why is Gil at striker instead of Amari makes zero sense to me?

Not all great players are made. Most are developed. Manny was the Lb coach and then hired ****boi Patke with zero/zip/no experience at all. He’s a kid who needed to learn from a real coach. You don’t get the Lb coach at UM as your training wheels. This is all on Manny and that LAZY ***** Blake James. Couple chucks taking the peg from their husbands/wives with *****.

Go Canes!

Advertisement
Back