The Shaq/Pinckney Effect

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator
Yesterday’s performance has its roots in the 2017 and 2018 recruiting classes. In those two years, Manny signed four LBs that would hopefully succeed Shaq and Pinckney. None of them were blue-chip prospects. The fans questioned his approach, but Manny believed in his vision and his profile for a LB.

Here are our national ranks in yards per carry defense since 2015. The years without Shaq and Pinckney are in bold:

2015: 120th
2016: 22nd
2017: 20th
2018: 37th
2019: 10th
2020: 92nd

There are a lot of reasons for that humiliation on Saturday. But this is a good place to start.

Advertisement
It seems like the Lb's don't respect coach Baker, so they aren't paying attention to his coaching which also maybe compounded by the smartest guy in room complex he appears to have by not making adjustments..

Go Canes

Last edited:
Advertisement
Yesterday’s performance has its roots in the 2017 and 2018 recruiting classes. In those two years, Manny signed four LBs that would hopefully succeed Shaq and Pinckney. None of them were blue-chip prospects. The fans questioned his approach, but Manny believed in his vision and his profile for a LB.

Here are our national ranks in yards per carry defense since 2015. The years without Shaq and Pinckney are in bold:

There are a lot of reasons for that humiliation on Saturday. But this is a good place to start.
Safety play was better with Jaquan, too. I glanced at espn stats last night … JJ had 92 tackles in 2017, Bolden has 52.

Advertisement
You could make an argument UNC is the best offense in America.

NFL personnel all over.

Miami has bad LBers and a safety in Carter that isn’t good.

Combine that with Miami feeling good about themselves after winning 5 in a row, blowing out Duke, garnering a lot of award recognition this week, also combined with the NFL talk all week from reporters and fans, and Miami wasn’t focused at all.

They still can’t handle any success.

Advertisement
Realistically Shaq , Pick and McCloud were all Golden recruits .... Take those 3 out of the equation and who has Manny really recruited of quality ?? I mean I want the guy to succeed but I can't ignore what I see... The D scheme does our LB'S no favors at all , for that matter does no one on the D any favors... Good teams know how to pick this D apart... Our two quality opponents in Clemson and NC destroyed it just like last year....

Advertisement
Safety play was better with Jaquan, too. I glanced at espn stats last night … JJ had 92 tackles in 2017, Bolden has 52.
Absolutely. Quan was underrated when he was here and quickly forgotten when he left, but you are absolutely correct.

It wasn’t just the sheer number of tackles Jaquan made - it was his efficiency and consistency making them. Quan played in the same scheme. RBs were getting to the 3rd level after the LBs got washed out. Last night, when you saw Carter take the false step/bad angle on the 65 yard TD run, Quan makes that tackle. He made that play for us for 4 years straight.

When everyone was highlighting how much better the tackling looked bad Duke, I was quick to point out that their skill position athletes weren’t exactly Devin Hester when it came to making people miss. Watching Carter get trucked when he didn’t wrap up felt so fitting. But it wasn’t just tackling yesterday. Our defensive backs take bad angles at an alarmingly high rate.

And it’s crazy because even they sucked. fire Manuel immediately

I told you bums that money couldn’t recruit( my thread got locked) but you dumbasses said Manny was a savage. He has had like 5 years to recruit LBs and could not
Ehh. Personally I've said for ever that he a horrible recruiter. But several of those boys could and should be very good. Sam in particular. The problem is he flat out had no clue how to develop anyone. These kids are coming here and staying as the same talent they came in with or in most instances are regressing as they pick up bad habits. The fact he is clueless on managing a roster doesn't help. None of our rooms beyond safety and oline even have enough position kids to properly establish them with training and practice. Our safeties play out of position often. But why would that be a shock. Anyone who doesn't realize gil would be a beast at free is blind.

Advertisement
Back