The Shaq/Pinckney Effect

Yesterday’s performance has its roots in the 2017 and 2018 recruiting classes. In those two years, Manny signed four LBs that would hopefully succeed Shaq and Pinckney. None of them were blue-chip prospects. The fans questioned his approach, but Manny believed in his vision and his profile for a LB.

Here are our national ranks in yards per carry defense since 2015. The years without Shaq and Pinckney are in bold:

2015: 120th
2016: 22nd
2017: 20th
2018: 37th
2019: 10th
2020: 92nd

There are a lot of reasons for that humiliation on Saturday. But this is a good place to start.
Yo his linebacker evals have always been bad. Real epic bad

Advertisement
Very telling stat D. Many here complained about how slow Shaq was and how Pinck never lived up to expectations.
We saw last night in Surratt what a dominate LB looks like. The irony is he started out as a QB.
Coaching matters when your position coaches can’t develop all they can do is replace with portal guys this is what you get! Kids just coming here never getting the proper technique to be great just kids under achieving with potential

Advertisement
In year 5. Our head coach... that was our DC and LB coach. Doesn't have players to fit the system. We keep killing the talent but everything comes down to coaching and scheme. People where bashing Shaq and Pink last year also.

The DT got no push, DE didn’t see the edge instead ran upfield with help leaving the 5 gap wide open. The LBers either fell for the counter and were left in the wash (mostly) OR were picked up by a pulling OL. Safeties took bad angles or tried to hit VS wrap up. CBs couldn’t get off blocks because they were much unsized.

Overall, I’d throw most of the blame on the DE and LB. yes the two NFL bound kids and Harvey weren’t able to set an Edge because that was much hard than running upfield. Yes we played the two worst LBers since the Glenn Cook days. Zero instincts or understanding that a counter is coming... yes that same one that was just called.

Advertisement
Yep, those guys made plays. The guys we have out there now look so bad I'm not even sure they can make a sandwich.

But Manny was in charge of who we recruited back then so no excuses.
Shaq and Mike were slow and frustrating to watch on some plays. However, they were instinctual and they would have never let what happend Saturday, happen to them. UNC ran the ball 55 times on against us. McCloud had 3 tackles, and Jennings had 2. I don't know their snap counts, but that is a telling stat right there. Brooks had 6 tackes on 21 snaps for what it is worth. I just don't understand how you can be so bad as a LB, that a team runs 55 times and you barely accumulate any defensive stats.

I believe Huff had more tackles on special teams than Jennings! That kid had a motor, speed, and size. So tired of kids not getting burn when they clearly have talent with an upperclassman that sucks in front of them.

Wiggins over Smith/redman
Jennings and McCloud over all the young ones
Ivey over Couch

We can go back to 2019 with Patch over GR15.

Here’s another stat:

Miami held UNC to 97 yards rushing last year. UNC had 554 rushing yards on Saturday.
1- UNC is in year 2 in the offense, and playing Williams a lot more than in 2019, S&C work has shown up on the field. OL is run dominant.
2- Miami also lost Rousseau and Garvin and replaced them with a guy who has retired before and a skinny LB at DE. They got bullied.
3- Jess Simpson coached DL guys are practically all gone. You're seeing what Stroud produces as a pos coach, upfield and selfish.
4- Golden's recruits are gone. As chitty of a coach as he was he recruited Shaq, Pinckney, Willis, Thomas, Jackson etc who could all play the run vs only looking for sacks / Shaq and Pinckney couldn't drop in coverage at all though
5- Manny hasn't just been bad at recruiting LB'ers, but also at developing them. No Football IQ to be found both as DC and now HC.
6- The scheme is really sloppy, no communication btwn players, the safeties aren't fitting the run properly. Rotation is really predictable. DE's showing when they're dropping vs coming up field.

Yeah like why is Gil at striker instead of Amari makes zero sense to me?

The striker doesn’t even play the slot. Having Carter near the line and Gil in the secondary would make sense.

Took a slow over size safety and left him there but put a corner at linebacker?

Advertisement
Absolutely. Quan was underrated when he was here and quickly forgotten when he left, but you are absolutely correct.

It wasn’t just the sheer number of tackles Jaquan made - it was his efficiency and consistency making them. Quan played in the same scheme. RBs were getting to the 3rd level after the LBs got washed out. Last night, when you saw Carter take the false step/bad angle on the 65 yard TD run, Quan makes that tackle. He made that play for us for 4 years straight.

When everyone was highlighting how much better the tackling looked bad Duke, I was quick to point out that their skill position athletes weren’t exactly Devin Hester when it came to making people miss. Watching Carter get trucked when he didn’t wrap up felt so fitting. But it wasn’t just tackling yesterday. Our defensive backs take bad angles at an alarmingly high rate.
This spot on. You can go back and watch any of the games from JJ’s time at safety here and see multiple plays that would've gone for 15+ against our current group. Difference is JJ was always in the right spot and rarely missed the tackle and thus the runs would only go for 4 yards or so.

I’m all in now that we need a clear purge of all the guys on defense and that probably means Manny needs to go as well. Running a different variation 4-2-5 should still be the play but at this point idc if we move to a 4-6 if it means never getting embarrassed like this ever again. The best guy available
is the DC at Auburn. I don’t want Muschamp, to
Me he’s just the SEC Manny. Hasn’t had a good defense in a while either at SCe or UFag.

Advertisement
Back