The Sh*t is about to hit the fan for the NCAA

Just get rid of the NCAA and set up a system that sets up a predetermined cap for P5 and downward Max they can spend. If they spend more or give more benefits you can squash them with sanctions/fines on their cap or scholly limit.

Bring back parody and allow a even playing field. I’m tired of the same **** teams every single year...

Advertisement

This will get ugly...and threats aside... this is is not a battle the NCAA will win in the long run.

Preventing someone from benefiting from & controlling their own image will prove to be impossible.

Florida needs to do this ASAP

Yes contracts are that simple. As long as they're legal.

People are only looking out for themselves and its beyond selfish. Giving players more power/money is just going to lead to more problems for them, and schools. ESPECIALLY MIAMI!

If we let our players have all the money in the world, would they be focusing on football? Would they care about putting in extra work in the weight room, or film room? NO. They'd be at the club, or cruising around town getting in constant trouble.

17 and 18 year olds dont need millions of dollars. Schools can barely contain these players stupid behavior as it is, and have to sweep **** under the rug constantly. Now imagine all these players have unlimited money. Unimaginable trouble. Under your system you'd have 5 star kids getting rich and lower rated kids making nothing. Im sure that wouldnt cause any strife in the locker room right?

Its what makes college football better than the NFL. The players are working their asses off for the chance at making it big.

The "middle-ground" you speak of is what I said in my first post. A profit sharing program. Take 25% of the income from ticket and football merch sales and put it in a pot every year. If a player graduates, stays out of trouble, and stays for 4 years, they get their equal cut from each of the 4 years pots. A nice incentive to stick around for 4 years. Your system would have kids leave after one year which is terrible for literally every team.

You have to look at the second and third order effects instead of just whats right in front of your face.
Contracts aren't that simple, but I'll give you a pass since you can't be lawyer with that statement.

I agree it's a tricky situation but status quo isn't the answer.

This problem would likely be solved if the NFL had a developmental or minor league system so in theory only players in college are those that want to be there and want the education.

But I agree it does open up Pandora's door. What about non revenue generating sports? Do those athletes get paid?

Yes contracts are that simple. As long as they're legal.

People are only looking out for themselves and its beyond selfish. Giving players more power/money is just going to lead to more problems for them, and schools. ESPECIALLY MIAMI!

If we let our players have all the money in the world, would they be focusing on football? Would they care about putting in extra work in the weight room, or film room? NO. They'd be at the club, or cruising around town getting in constant trouble.

17 and 18 year olds dont need millions of dollars. Schools can barely contain these players stupid behavior as it is, and have to sweep **** under the rug constantly. Now imagine all these players have unlimited money. Unimaginable trouble. Under your system you'd have 5 star kids getting rich and lower rated kids making nothing. Im sure that wouldnt cause any strife in the locker room right?

Its what makes college football better than the NFL. The players are working their asses off for the chance at making it big.

The "middle-ground" you speak of is what I said in my first post. A profit sharing program. Take 25% of the income from ticket and football merch sales and put it in a pot every year. If a player graduates, stays out of trouble, and stays for 4 years, they get their equal cut from each of the 4 years pots. A nice incentive to stick around for 4 years. Your system would have kids leave after one year which is terrible for literally every team.

You have to look at the second and third order effects instead of just whats right in front of your face.
Holy stereotypes and generalizations Batman!

IMAGINE if you allow Stanford to pay athletes. Third largest endowment in the nation.

That would KILL Bear Bryant's foundation.

An elite player can study in Silicon Valley, at one of the top 3 schools in the USA and benefit from elite coaching; OR they can venture to outback, KKK country and play at a Paper Mill (i.e. a school with a worthless diploma).

If California starts paying, the FOundations are now useless!!!

The California bill isn't about schools paying student-athletes, it's about student-athletes managing their own images & likenesses to get paid.

Like the kicker at UCF that was ruled ineligible because He was making money off His YouTube channel.

Seriously, does a kid making a few hundred/thousand bucks really effect how you watch the Miami Hurricanes?

Advertisement
I don’t believe it’s greedy to want a bigger share of an ever-growing market. Especially when you are the product being sold.

I AGREE 100%

Amazing!!!

How is it greedy to want $$$ that are being made off of YOUR own image? :unsure: It is YOUR image

On the contrary and quite the opposite, I'd say it's greedy for someone else to want to make $$$ off of YOUR image.

Correct is correct

The NCAA CAN DO something that people would find it hard to argue with. They can start earmarking a fair percentage of "name" related merchandize sales and put the money it into a medical insurance fund for post playing years of NCAA players.

P5 schools already do this, says so at the end of the article:

In 2012, the legislature passed – and then-Gov. Jerry Brown signed – a law that termed the Student Athlete Bill of Rights. Taking effect with the start of the 2012-13 school year, it requires the state’s four Pac-12 schools, among other things, to provide academic or other scholarships for athletes who lose an athletic scholarship due to injury. In addition, if, while playing for a team, an athlete suffers an injury that requires ongoing medical treatment, the school must continue providing that treatment for at least two years after the athlete’s graduation or departure from the school.

In October 2014, the Pac-12 passed a rule that increased post-college medical coverage from its schools to four years. And in 2018, the other four Power Five conferences agreed to provide this coverage for at least two years.

Advertisement
The solution is simple. No need for the schools to pay the players or even offer them anything more than they do now. Just adopt the Olympic Model and allow the players to profit from their likeness if someone is going to play. You can still set rules around that to keep it from being abused.

The solution is simple. No need for the schools to pay the players or even offer them anything more than they do now. Just adopt the Olympic Model and allow the players to profit from their likeness if someone is going to play. You can still set rules around that to keep it from being abused.

What scenario wouldnt be an abuse?

You think bags are bad now, this bill makes it completely legal for boosters to pay athletes, either directly or for use of their name/image (i.e. $500k to use to advertise for a Bama car dealership).

A lot of naive posters here dont get Miami football is dead if this becomes reality nationally. You guys are celebrating what will end any ability Miami has to compete.

Advertisement
Sounds good to me....but this won't be stopped.

Signing a scholarship doesn't mean that you've signed ALL your rights as an individual and citizen away

Signing away your likeness rights is signing away all your rights as a citizen?

Good one.

You really dont even have a clue what you're talking about

You think bags are bad now, this bill makes it completely legal for boosters to pay athletes, either directly or for use of their name/image (i.e. $500k to use to advertise for a Bama car dealership).

A lot of naive posters here dont get Miami football is dead if this becomes reality nationally. You guys are celebrating what will end any ability Miami has to compete.

True.

Miami football has been dead for some time now. Where have you been? The proposed Olympic Model is only for current athletes, not recruits. If a car dealer in Bama wants to pay some player on Bama's team already on the roster $500k to be a part of the advertising campaign then let them. Maybe we can get another Shampiro when it becomes legal to pay players.

Advertisement
Was just about to start a thread on this, but OP beat me to it. California extremists about to start the downfall of the NCAA...I won't shed a tear for the corrupt NCAA...

Let's just see if college football is replaced by something worse ...maybe another unaccountable, bureaucratic federal college sports regulatory agency.

We don't need another swamp entity running college sports...soon they'll have mandated numbers of women playing college football, transexual men dominating college women's track and field and basketball, men and women sharing unisex locker rooms....eventually we'll be looking back with nostalgia for the days of the corrupt NCAA.

You mean with all the straight black and Hispanic men are sitting in the stands with the straight white men sharing memories about the good old days when they were allow to play football without conceding to Islam?

just like the basketball scandal was going to get so many schools on the death penalty right??? right??? that got brushed under the rug too.

Signing away your likeness rights is signing away all your rights as a citizen?

Good one.

You really dont even have a clue what you're talking about

WTF :oops:

Reading comprehension is obviously not your strong suit. How about even comparing the words in the sentence you're all jacked up about? Can you even copy them correctly?

Sorry that was mean ...you may be suffering from severe head trauma or may even be completely headless

I said "Signing a scholarship doesn't mean that you've signed ALL your rights as an individual and citizen away"....where does that say anything close to what you said I said "Signing away your likeness rights is signing away all your rights as a citizen" :youre-nuts:

I'll reasonably discuss any issue with anyone with even the slightest mental aptitude. But not someone who changes my words

So anyway ....its my policy not to argue with LIARS or clueless idiots.... you are clearly both....BUT I do immediately put them on ignore. It keeps life pleasant. SO BYE

Last edited:
I don’t see any way this can possibly work. State laws will not override the NCAA’s. Just like the NFL still banning weed for players that live in states where it is legal. If this passes and the schools start to compensate players the NCAA will punish the schools or kick them out. It will take years upon years for everyone to pass similar bills to take down the NCAA

Advertisement
Back