The Scarlett Saga

St. Thomas Aquinas running back Jordan Scarlett made waves in December when he became the most high profile recruit who ever committed to FAU. (5-10, 197) pledge also occurred very early in the process but he expanded on his current situation with the Owls.

-Says “It’s a very strong commitment, unfortunately I couldn’t make their spring game because I was up in Gainesville for Florida Relays,” “I’ll definitely get back there soon to catch up with those guys. I picked them because I wanted to go somewhere I can start a new tradition. Their running backs coach, Roger Harriott, was our head coach before. He was such a big impact on my life and I wanted to continue keeping him as a part of my college career.”

-has impressive offers from all over the nation. If anybody has a chance to change his mind, it’s most likely a school in Florida.

-Says “I’m still keeping my eyes open to different schools and I’ll take my official visits out of state,” “I feel pretty good about staying in Florida, family comes first. I’m used to the weather and I don’t think I could adjust to that somewhere else. Things might change because you never know what can happen but that’s how I feel right now.”

-The Gators haven’t gotten a ton of buzz in Scarlett’s recruitment but his time spent in Gainesville on Saturday may have done something to change that.

-Says “It really opened up my eyes to see what they’re doing with the program,” “They have a new offense coming in and I got to talk with Kelvin Taylor. He’s a good friend of mine and he said Florida is great place to be as a running back. They have a great offensive line so they’re coming back stronger this year and the next couple years.”

-Miami has been a contender with Scarlett since the early stages of the process. That aspect hasn’t changed since he’s a high priority target.

-Says “They’ve been recruiting me very hard with coaches messaging me through Facebook and Twitter,” “They check up on how I’m doing and I try to get out to Miami as much as I can. I want to show them love because they always supported me. I love Coach Golden and he’s a great guy.”

-has visited enough to be more familiar with the program than most places.

-Says “Coach Hurlie Brown is one of my recruiters and we talk all the time,”“We’ve had a few conversations over the phone and I know they get guys in the NFL. They’ve established a family based atmosphere and they prepare you for life beyond football.”

-getting used to life as a Raider. He won a state title as a sophomore but that was when he was wearing another school’s uniform.

-Says “It’s been pretty good for me at St. Thomas but I still have love for University School,” “They did so many great things for my high school career. But I’ve actually been so busy running track over here that I’m not really hanging out with the football guys yet. A few of the track guys do play football too but that has me exciting for spring ball. We still played on some of the same middle school and optimist teams though.”

http://miami.247sports.com/Article/Top-RB-Jordan-Scarlett-Talks-Miami-FAU-187112

4/26 update

-Scarlett (5-10, 197) headed down to Coral Gables on Friday along with his teammate, 2016 receiver Sam Bruce, for a more intimate atmosphere.

-Says “It’s was my mom’s first chance to get off work so that’s why we went down there,” “We figured it would be a good opportunity to visit and have them meet our parents. We got to see the locker room, the weight room, and meet the strength coach.”

-One of the main pitches that Miami has been using on Scarlett is the chance to stay close to home and play alongside familiar faces.

“Coach Hurlie Brown was telling me that Miami is a family and it’s the place to be,” Scarlett said. “They have so much tradition and they want to bring the ‘U’ back. They would love to do it with South Florida guys and that sounds like a pretty good thing.”

-Education is always a big selling point for Miami and that resonated with Scarlett too.

-Says “We spent time learning about the academic side of the school and that was a good thing,” “I really got to narrow down my choices with what I want to major and minor in. They offer great opportunities for what I’d like to do with their medical program.”

-During the visit, Scarlett posted a picture on his Twitter account with six players split into two rows of three. The bottom row featured former Miami stars Frank Gore, Clinton Portis, and Willis McGahee.

-Says “I had a fan send me that picture, I’m not sure if they found it or they made it,”“I thought it was cool though, Miami has a history with running backs. Some of those guys went on to be very successful in the NFL.”

-The top row featured current Miami commitments Jordan Cronkrite and Dexter Williams alongside Scarlett himself.

-Says “I look at that as competition that would help drive me at the next level,”“I think it would be good for me to be surrounded by other great guys. We could battle it out and let the best man play.”

-The Hurricanes remain a major contender for Scarlett but his recruitment won’t have a resolution for a good while yet.

-Says “They’re definitely in my top three with FAU and Florida State,”“It’s going to come down to how I’m feeling after the season and towards signing day. I’m excited to see how all my schools end up doing this year and how it works out.”

http://miami.247sports.com/Article/Miami-Visit-Presents-a-Strong-Case-to-RB-Jordan-Scarlett-28340340

Last edited:
Advertisement
They have a great offensive line so they’re coming back stronger this year and the next couple years.”
78.jpg

His recruitment had circus written all over it since early last year, he hasn't disappointed.

if this kid goes to fau he will most likely have a very unspectacular college career. no campus life. small crowds. crappy oline. i could see a transfer or 2 in his college career. nobody pushing him, no other kids of his caliber. this is a mistake on so many levels.
i know it would never happen, but, harriot almost needs to tell the kid to go somewhere bigger. if he was unselfish. but, that's not the way it works.
any of his "advisors" or people in his corner need to tell him he's making a mistake. harriot has no loyalty to him and if harriot can parlay this into a bigger job in a year or 2 elsewhere, u think he cares that scarlett is at fau?

Have said all along there's no chance he sticks to FAU. I maintain this outlook.

DO NOT confuse that with my saying he's coming to Miami. I don't know that. I do know that he's not going to FAU. Not a chance.

Advertisement
where in that interview do you see circus or Saga? i thought he was very truthful about everything. also Harriot is doing a job and its not his fault he has built a bond with one of the best RB's in FLA. they already had a decent team and FAU will get better for sure. Im saying he sticks with FAU. I will not be following his recruitment closely because i dont believe he will come here at the end of the day.

Advertisement
Scarlett has been running track and is part of the #1 4x100 relay team in the state right now. This team features Sam Bruce, Scarlett, James Oliphant 2015 CB, and a very fast freshman. From what i've been hearing around St. Thomas is that Scarlett is extrememly close with Harriot and he even preached about a family atmosphere in the rivals article. I think he'll stick.

Going to FAU would save his body for the NFL. As long as you have talent the NFL will take you. The projected top picks in the draft are from UCF & Buffalo.... Last year #1 pick was from central Michigan.....

Going to FAU would save his body for the NFL. As long as you have talent the NFL will take you. The projected top picks in the draft are from UCF & Buffalo.... Last year #1 pick was from central Michigan.....

So being the main focus of every team you play would conserve your body?? You're a smart one

Advertisement
This is an encouraging post. Whatever Scarlett does he echos a theme we are hearing from all of the valued recruits and that's that our staff is all over these kids. We'll get our share.

save his body??? lol, most knowledgeable football fans would have the complete opposite reaction. starting from day one and being counted on to win games and carry the ball 30 times a game for 4 years playing behind probably a crappy oline being keyed on by every defense.

makes sense.

Advertisement
This is an encouraging post. Whatever Scarlett does he echos a theme we are hearing from all of the valued recruits and that's that our staff is all over these kids. We'll get our share.

Nearly every big-time south Florida recruit has said this over the past few years. After he signed his financial aid letter, Miami was at Cook's house so often, his grandmother publicly *****ed about it. Effort has never really been an issue. Closing, however, has.

save his body??? lol, most knowledgeable football fans would have the complete opposite reaction. starting from day one and being counted on to win games and carry the ball 30 times a game for 4 years playing behind probably a crappy oline being keyed on by every defense.

makes sense.

-says every gators RB

if this kid goes to fau he will most likely have a very unspectacular college career. no campus life. small crowds. crappy oline. i could see a transfer or 2 in his college career. nobody pushing him, no other kids of his caliber. this is a mistake on so many levels.
i know it would never happen, but, harriot almost needs to tell the kid to go somewhere bigger. if he was unselfish. but, that's not the way it works.
any of his "advisors" or people in his corner need to tell him he's making a mistake. harriot has no loyalty to him and if harriot can parlay this into a bigger job in a year or 2 elsewhere, u think he cares that scarlett is at fau?

did you say the samething for TY Hilton?

Advertisement
Back