The RPO and its affect on the offensive line....

Advertisement
I love how when the RPO was first introduced with .bard.kaayak. everyone chastised me for saying "why not make it a quadruple option?"

Now here we are basically saying that it's a quadruple option.

:neonu:

Our inconsistent run game comes down to lack of creativity in the run game and not having 5 sh*tkickers up front. We run about 3/4 concepts consistently (IZ, OZ/Pin and pull, 1 back power and counter). We run it out of static formations and are very predictable.

Advertisement
Here is an article about how the University of Washington runs a unique version of the read option. I think Miami should send coach brown and lil jon out to Seattle for a week this summer to learn how run this.

An by the way they have were the most efficient offensive team in 2016.

Link
FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | 2017 FEI RATINGS, OFFENSE

Link
Washington’s using a cool variation of the read option

skins-1.jpg

Last edited:
I still can’t believe how often this has to be explained. Ever since Greg McElroy got them mixed up saying Brad Kaaya was running the read option against Appalachian State 2 years ago this board has been thoroughly confused.

LC, my man!!...ah..ahem...could ya....ah well ..ahhhh...I was a little distracted ...but could you ...NO! NO! NO! this ain't bout money man!! ..ah yeah ....but could you explain that difference one more time lol

Last edited:
If you look very closely you will see that our offensive linemen are clogging the running lanes. There is an upside to our linemen imitating statues with their feet anchored in cement...it forces defensive linemen to run around them to pressure our QB on passing plays. Always a silver lining in the darkest of clouds.

Advertisement
Our inconsistent run game comes down to lack of creativity in the run game and not having 5 sh*tkickers up front. We run about 3/4 concepts consistently (IZ, OZ/Pin and pull, 1 back power and counter). We run it out of static formations and are very predictable.

When Oregon had Chip Kelly and were running roughshod all over the Pac 12, they only ran a handful of plays. They just executed those plays phenomenally. All the formations and motion were just window dressing. The plays stayed the same though behind it all.

I'm not even gonna say we need more formations and motion. We just need better execution and better line play.

You're absolutely right, because they were successful in (1) game, that dismisses my op. I happen to agree in that it was a balanced performance, but the Eagles were not efficient at all throughout the regular season on 3rd down.

If I wanted to point to a game that at face value dismisses the points made in my original post, I'd bring up VT and ND. Those two games were the exception to the rule for last season, so it's a waste of time.

The Eagles kept the Pat's on their heels all night with their play calling. They called plays with purpose. Miami looks like there is no rhyme or reason behind any play call.

This is the type of shid that just baffles me. I respect a good and honest assessment. I really do. When you dont even know the difference between a RPO and a Read Option how tf do you know whether there is rhyme or reason to the playcalling?

Youre an imbecile. Mark Richt wasn't retired. He has been coaching football and has seen all of the innovation in offensive philosophy. Take a timeout.

When Oregon had Chip Kelly and were running roughshod all over the Pac 12, they only ran a handful of plays. They just executed those plays phenomenally. All the formations and motion were just window dressing. The plays stayed the same though behind it all.

I'm not even gonna say we need more formations and motion. We just need better execution and better line play.

Chip Kelly’s offense (run game) in comparison to ours is much more complex. The window dressing is a big part of it. You are changing run fits with motion and making defenders think. Not to mention they played at a crazy tempo. They were running plays at something like 16 seconds between snaps. This is what kills me about richt. It’s almost like we take bits from different systems but we don’t do anything extremely well. If you’re not going to motion, go fast. If you want to get set and make sure you have the perfect play, motion into predictable fronts to more efficiently run the ball.

Advertisement
Here is an article about how the University of Washington runs a unique version of the read option. I think Miami should send coach brown and lil jon out to Seattle for a week this summer to learn how run this.

An by the way they have were the most efficient offensive team in 2016.

Link
FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | 2017 FEI RATINGS, OFFENSE

Link
Washington’s using a cool variation of the read option

skins-1.jpg

Homers long run against v tech is on this play. Defense fit it wrong and we creased them.

Me being a homer says the RPO works well with the Texas quarterback Nick Foles. Tannehill is the only exception as being a signal-caller he started out as a WR and then converted to qb..

No but Nkosi, Williams or any decent QB can Excel with the RPO. Rozier had a good first half start of the season. Kaaya had great numbers.

Advertisement
Back