The Return of George

Advertisement
Doubt he even sees the field. George is good and all, but I think they stay with the current rotation, which I am cool with because the WRs have been real decent up to this point. If anything, I want Brinson getting more looks.

George will help a lot later in the season as he is a smooth route runner and TvD is not fully trusting the outside receivers. Run game good, slot WR and TE will be good, just need a few outside dudes to step up as we knew going into the year.

Advertisement
What good is having George back if he’s running wide open downfield and TVD is just dumping it off to the running back because that’s where the play is designed to go?

We've been fine with X, Redding, Keyshawn, and Brashard. They've been getting separation and they've been open and they've been catching the ball.

TVD has not gotten comfortable yet. He's locking in on receivers and forcing throws. I re-watched the condensed version of the So.Miss game and even when he was completing passes, there were some guys who were wide open for easier throws instead of forcing throws into traffic.
I was yelling at the TV when he didn't hit Keyshawn

Advertisement
That play where Brashard caught the pass on the 2nd juggle. Keyshawn was wide open. There were others. Couple of them we didn't block well and others TVD didn't scan the field. There are big plays to be had with the guys we had available so far. If you were in the stadium and can see the whole thing you know they were there. He has to let the ball loose. TVD has to go through his progression and make the plays when they are there. If our outside Receivers don't make plays it's gonna be tough to move the ball down the field. App St used a controlled attack to beat them Texas A&M but we can't count on that. With George back it's still the same equation. He has to test the defense when they put single coverage on our receivers.

What good is having George back if he’s running wide open downfield and TVD is just dumping it off to the running back because that’s where the play is designed to go?
How do you know where the play is designed to go? TVD is playing iffy, which coach is telling man don't throw the ball down field to a open WR? He was the one locking on to players and not scanning the field.

George will help as he is the one that can stretch a defense and open up the intermediate routes.

Also I would expect to see multiple tight ends this game… this will be the game to deploy Mallory, Arroyo together…

I think you may see Skinner as well. He can be a mismatch

Advertisement
Pretty evident to me that TVD isn't comfortable yet in this offense. It takes time. Last year, the ball was coming out as soon as he hit his back foot. This year, much more hitching in the pocket, shuffling, throwing off-platform. He'll get there. It just takes a few weeks.

Remember, last year was his first year playing. However, when he got the job after King got hurt, he was essentially a year and a half in with Lashlee. He was here in 2020 the whole season, learning. And more of the same in the first 4 games in 2021. When he got his chance, he knew the offense forwards and backwards. To me, he's clearly not yet comfortable only 2 games in with Gattis. I fully expect that to improve over the course of the season.

Rhett Lashlee was hired 1/3/20. Tyler Van Dyke enrolled at Miami 1/13/20. What we saw last year was 21-22 months in the making. He's only known Gattis for 7 months, and I don't think the spring was incredibly helpful, considering how many guys we had out and the fact that Gattis was barely here a month before it started.

How do you know where the play is designed to go? TVD is playing iffy, which coach is telling man don't throw the ball down field to a open WR? He was the one locking on to players and not scanning the field.
Because he locks on to his first read every time. He didn’t do that at all last year. Either he got significantly worse or he’s doing what he’s being told to do.

Advertisement
Because he locks on to his first read every time. He didn’t do that at all last year. Either he got significantly worse or he’s doing what he’s being told to do.
He did that alot last year. Go watch alot of his big plays, never scanned the field because it was the right read pre snap and they came against alot of bum teams. And also they were simple reads. Teams have film on him from last year and he is not cycling through his progression. Even the pick, he had plenty of time to come off that WR and he didn't. If he doesn't improve, they won't have no problem going to Jake. I'm really high on dude but I'm at the game watching all 22. Not giving up on him by a long stretch but yall blaming Gattis for stuff the QB is doing.

Also people told yall they were force feeding Rambo last year, this might be a consequence of that and he seem to be looking for X alot. He needs to look.for his outside WR when they teams are crowding the box and the middle.

He needs to stop looking to go to Mallory. Mallory isn’t it. Need more arroyo and utilize his RB in the passing game as well
Agree on Mallory. There were at least 2 occasions on saturday where we were clearly in throw it to Mallory mode. Another receiver was wide open and wasn't targeted.

Advertisement
Back