The reasons why the last 5 coaches haven't worked

I would argue that he was tired, had already peaked and was the wrong hire from the get go.

Now, I'll get pile driven by the mopes for saying this next thing, but I could give a crap - we should've hired Butch. With where the school was and where Butch was at the time, that was the right move, but we still had a couple of butt-hurt BOT members who would rather be unnecessarily petty than have a winning ball club. At minimum, Butch would've righted the ship for the next guy, if not have gone far beyond that, but we'll never know.
eh, i don't agree, i think butch was just as washed as richt was. his trajectory has more or less mirrored richt at miami- a couple of solid seasons followed by collapse into disaster, except butch has hung on for dear life rather than leave like richt did, which certainly wouldn't have left us in a better spot.

Advertisement
I know the hip revisionist history is to say Shannon wasn't a good DC but the numbers just don't bare that out at all. Even when the all time greats had moved on by '04 we still had a top defense. The offense going into the shi**er gave the defense less margin for error.

I know the hip revisionist history is to say Shannon wasn't a good DC but the numbers just don't bare that out at all. Even when the all time greats had moved on by '04 we still had a top defense. The offense going into the shi**er gave the defense less margin for error.

1) he had a ton of future pros
2) as we all know, his defense was very susceptible to good offenses
3) how ya been, my man?

Advertisement
5 strikes and you are OUT. Blake needs to be fired. He might be the nicest guy in the world but he has failed where it counts most: FOOTBALL

I would never hire a coach who only had position coaching and limited coordinating experience at the college level even if h had NFL experience. Must be an experienced college head coach. That is what I see on the boards. I guess that would have ruled out Butch Davis.

Last edited:
But if there are so many reasons a coach can fail, why spend two hours to replace Richt? Ohhhhh

The big thing to me is the Athletic Director.

Everyone has a boss to report to. That higher-up boss keeps the lower boss in line.

In the military it's the same way. There's always a higher-up or a bigger fish. They know how things should be ran because they've done it before.

At Miami, the bigger fish doesn't do anything. He doesn't force the head coaches to do the right things.

A proper AD would have had Golden break down his plan to him and reviewed it. Donofrio and the defensive BS would've never happened.

A proper AD would have forced Richt to hire an OC who implemented a modern offense, and to hire a proper QB coach.

A proper AD would have never hired Diaz to begin with, or would have forced to him cut the gimmicks and straighten up.

A good AD demands excellence, and once it's achieved, looks for ways to innovate and maintain excellence.

These coaches come in and go wild because there's no supervision or no adults around to keep them accountable.

Its the perfect role for Highsmith. Let the head coach run things but to keep the head coach accountable.

I think you're off on some of these points.

Golden: The AD did have Golden breakdown his plan, Golden had a huge binder full of visions for the program. Problem is, the AD doesn't know wtf works and what doesn't. As an AD his job does not include ability to discern what scheme will and won't work. If he knew what scheme worked, he would be coaching considering he would make more money as a top coordinator or HC. The highest paid AD salary is around 3m, the next guy is like 1.8m. Most dudes make under 1m. Long story short, a quality AD will rarely know more about what scheme will/won't work more than a coach.

Richt: Was pressured into hiring a coordinator, which Is why he stepped down, to avoid firing his son.

Manny i agree shouldn't have been hired lol.

Advertisement
Putting aside our problems as a program, hiring the right coach is a lot harder than people think. OP is right on about al, but how were we supposed to know that? He has the personality and background, but kids aren't stupid. When you show them that you care about a system more than winning, they lose faith in you. As for manny, same thing. How do you know what his issues will be until he gets into the job? As for only hiring experienced guys, we all know the problems there. We won't put out the money to get anyone that would make fans happy. And even if we did, I've always thought guys who can succeed elsewhere can fail here. Just because you did well with sec money or Nike money or whatever doesn't mean you'd kill it here with no money.

My opinion is that Richt was our best shot. Had he not been so stubborn, he might have made Miami look like the kind of place a hot coach could take all the way. Another good season out of him might have convinced somebody worth a **** they could win big at Miami. We might have been a coaching destination again. But here we are.
Hiring the right coach is incredibly hard, but let’s not act like a blind child couldn’t have picked names out of a hat and had more success than our admin the last 2 decades.

3 of the 5 had no other power 5 job offers or even interviews besides Miami so theres that. If we're going to hire a coach with no head coaching experience lets atleast hire one thats elite at his previous position for goodness sakes.

We are the guy that keeps dating the same toxic crazy *** chicks and still thinks it’s them that’s the problem
Meh I think we’re at a point where we’ve been with the same fat chick for a while and she sucks in bed. We just let her ride us while we wish to have a fine girl instead.

Advertisement
Putting aside our problems as a program, hiring the right coach is a lot harder than people think. OP is right on about al, but how were we supposed to know that? He has the personality and background, but kids aren't stupid. When you show them that you care about a system more than winning, they lose faith in you. As for manny, same thing. How do you know what his issues will be until he gets into the job? As for only hiring experienced guys, we all know the problems there. We won't put out the money to get anyone that would make fans happy. And even if we did, I've always thought guys who can succeed elsewhere can fail here. Just because you did well with sec money or Nike money or whatever doesn't mean you'd kill it here with no money.

My opinion is that Richt was our best shot. Had he not been so stubborn, he might have made Miami look like the kind of place a hot coach could take all the way. Another good season out of him might have convinced somebody worth a **** they could win big at Miami. We might have been a coaching destination again. But here we are.

How were we supposed to know that?

By getting someone who's done it before.

By getting someone with a track record at the level we supposedly play at. Richt was the only smart hire we've made since Butch Davis, he had an excellent season and won 10 games with Malik Rosier... maybe the least gifted quarterback we've ever had. Then his health visibly declined, and he retired 2 years before publicly announcing he had alzheimers.

When you're cheap, you have to gamble on unknown coaches who have no track record, so you have nothing to base your decision on except hope.

Smart people make decisions based on FACTS and EVIDENCE, not hope.

Terrible hires. Noticed none ever saw a hc job again. (Unless you count Cojer getting fired at UTSA)

By getting someone with a track record at the level we supposedly play at. Richt was the only smart hire we've made since Butch Davis, he had an excellent season and won 10 games with Malik Rosier... maybe the least gifted quarterback we've ever had. Then his health visibly declined, and he retired 2 years before publicly announcing he had alzheimers.

When you're cheap, you have to gamble on unknown coaches who have no track record, so you have nothing to base your decision on except hope.

Butch Davis would not meet current criteria. He was a position coach and coordinator at the college level, had a successful short pro career but not as a head coach and never had college head coaching experience prior to Miami.

Advertisement
Butch Davis would not meet current criteria. He was a position coach and coordinator at the college level, had a successful short pro career but not as a head coach and never had college head coaching experience prior to Miami.

That’s true. But the exception doesn’t prove the rule. Butch was a unicorn. If he would have stuck around, he would have been Bear Bryant.

Sometimes you get lucky. Doesn’t mean it’s s good idea to depend on luck.

Coker was a wussy. Pass.
Shannon was too morally rigid. Pass.
Al brought the Joe Pa look and lifetime loyalty to Miami. Pass.
Richt had an initial spark and wanted to remake Miami but spun out of control. Sad.
Manny wasn’t ready to coach a varsity sport. Maybe never will be. Pass

Who is gonna pick a new AD who can ID talent. We need a great AD or we just repeat. 🤔.

All true, but that brings us back to the main issue. Miami won't take this seriously. Even if we had an AD worth a ****, they still won't spend the kind of money needed to get a guy with a record of success. This all starts with an unwillingness to spend like a drunken sailor, which is what's needed these days.

Hiring the right coach is incredibly hard, but let’s not act like a blind child couldn’t have picked names out of a hat and had more success than our admin the last 2 decades.
I'm an optimist. I like to think we've been almost exactly as successful as a blind child.

Advertisement
Back