The reasons why the last 5 coaches haven't worked

filmcane

Redshirt Freshman
Premium
1. Coker - The over simplified answer is that he just wasn't head coach material. The more specific answer is that he wasn't a strong enough leader of men. The players didn't respect or fear him. And, a lack of discipline - our fundamentals really slipped once Butch's players had cycled out.

2. Shannon - If Coker wasn't head coaching material, then Randy absolutely wasn't! He didn't have the personality for it and didn't understand what being the head ball coach really entailed, which was a lot of non-X's-n-O's stuff that he was poorly suited to do. And, I think he was overrated as a DC. He was too stubborn, and too slow to change when the other team was consistently succeeding at something.

3. Golden - He actually WAS head coaching material in many facets, but we all know what his kryptonite was - he refused to get rid of his BFF at DC and now he will likely never be a HC again, which is a shame, but he brought it on himself. I will always maintain that if he had simply treated the D like he treated the O, he would've continued to improve as a HC and eventually rebuilt us back to a top 5 team. However, if if's and buts were candy and nuts, etc.

4. Richt - I didn't want us to hire him and I knew it was a mistake, but there you go. He had already peaked years ago and it was obvious to anyone paying attention. Appreciate the positive things he did, but he was tired.

5. Manny - So many reasons that have recently been listed, so I don't need to go into detail. Simply put, this is why you don't hire an unproven HC.

What's your take on these 5 and why they didn't work?

Advertisement
Advertisement
Putting aside our problems as a program, hiring the right coach is a lot harder than people think. OP is right on about al, but how were we supposed to know that? He has the personality and background, but kids aren't stupid. When you show them that you care about a system more than winning, they lose faith in you. As for manny, same thing. How do you know what his issues will be until he gets into the job? As for only hiring experienced guys, we all know the problems there. We won't put out the money to get anyone that would make fans happy. And even if we did, I've always thought guys who can succeed elsewhere can fail here. Just because you did well with sec money or Nike money or whatever doesn't mean you'd kill it here with no money.

My opinion is that Richt was our best shot. Had he not been so stubborn, he might have made Miami look like the kind of place a hot coach could take all the way. Another good season out of him might have convinced somebody worth a **** they could win big at Miami. We might have been a coaching destination again. But here we are.

Advertisement
It's easy, none of them were fit for the job. If we were hiring proven coaches and they continued to fail here ir would be more confusing. There's no confusion as to what the problem is here.

We get what we pay for. We get discount coaches, we get discount results.

Five coaches in 20 years. THAT is the problem.
See the years in between those are years it take to rebuild if you know what your doing always 3-4 years .

Do keep this in mind the longer it goes to replace Manny the longer we will have wait to get back in the chase.

Just because we get a big name coach he has BLOW UP the whole organization and purge players to get his new philosophy going with his type of players and coaches.

Yep 3-4 years about right

GOCANES

Advertisement
1. Coker - The over simplified answer is that he just wasn't head coach material. The more specific answer is that he wasn't a strong enough leader of men. The players didn't respect or fear him. And, a lack of discipline - our fundamentals really slipped once Butch's players had cycled out.

2. Shannon - If Coker wasn't head coaching material, then Randy absolutely wasn't! He didn't have the personality for it and didn't understand what being the head ball coach really entailed, which was a lot of non-X's-n-O's stuff that he was poorly suited to do. And, I think he was overrated as a DC. He was too stubborn, and too slow to change when the other team was consistently succeeding at something.

3. Golden - He actually WAS head coaching material in many facets, but we all know what his kryptonite was - he refused to get rid of his BFF at DC and now he will likely never be a HC again, which is a shame, but he brought it on himself. I will always maintain that if he had simply treated the D like he treated the O, he would've continued to improve as a HC and eventually rebuilt us back to a top 5 team. However, if if's and buts were candy and nuts, etc.

4. Richt - I didn't want us to hire him and I knew it was a mistake, but there you go. He had already peaked years ago and it was obvious to anyone paying attention. Appreciate the positive things he did, but he was tired.

5. Manny - So many reasons that have recently been listed, so I don't need to go into detail. Simply put, this is why you don't hire an unproven HC.

What's your take on these 5 and why they didn't work?

I disagree on Golden. We always highlight or really, just key in on his relationship with D'Onofrio as a reason for his downfall. That's a symptom of the disease that plagued Golden. Golden was stubborn to a high degree. His defensive scheme was a failure, plain a simple. You could've brought in Dave Aranda to coach up the defense, and if you saddled him with that scheme, I don't think it would've worked, at all. Golden had his plan already mapped out and wasn't deviating from it.

Advertisement
The big thing to me is the Athletic Director.

Everyone has a boss to report to. That higher-up boss keeps the lower boss in line.

In the military it's the same way. There's always a higher-up or a bigger fish. They know how things should be ran because they've done it before.

At Miami, the bigger fish doesn't do anything. He doesn't force the head coaches to do the right things.

A proper AD would have had Golden break down his plan to him and reviewed it. Donofrio and the defensive BS would've never happened.

A proper AD would have forced Richt to hire an OC who implemented a modern offense, and to hire a proper QB coach.

A proper AD would have never hired Diaz to begin with, or would have forced to him cut the gimmicks and straighten up.

A good AD demands excellence, and once it's achieved, looks for ways to innovate and maintain excellence.

These coaches come in and go wild because there's no supervision or no adults around to keep them accountable.

Its the perfect role for Highsmith. Let the head coach run things but to keep the head coach accountable.

I disagree on Golden. We always highlight or really, just key in on his relationship with D'Onofrio as a reason for his downfall. That's a symptom of the disease that plagued Golden. Golden was stubborn to a high degree. His defensive scheme was a failure, plain a simple. You could've brought in Dave Aranda to coach up the defense, and if you saddled him with that scheme, I don't think it would've worked, at all. Golden had his plan already mapped out and wasn't deviating from it.
I absolutely agree with you there, and that is why I mentioned if he had treated his D the way he approached his O, he would've been successful. His insistence on his scheme and the guy running his scheme is why he will never become a big time HC. He's seen as damaged goods. But, if he had handled the D with the same, unemotional, business-like approach he did with his O, I still believe he could've grown into one of our best.

But, again, "If 'ifs' and 'buts' were candy and nuts...."

i think you're underselling richt a bit- he was basically akin to al golden, but his stubbornness was on the offensive side of the ball. but he was obviously head coach material and capable of managing a program, more so than manny/shannon. ultimately, he presided over miami's best season in what, the last two decades? (pretty bleak when you think about it, but there it is)

i think you're underselling richt a bit- he was basically akin to al golden, but his stubbornness was on the offensive side of the ball. but he was obviously head coach material and capable of managing a program, more so than manny/shannon. ultimately, he presided over miami's best season in what, the last two decades? (pretty bleak when you think about it, but there it is)
I would argue that he was tired, had already peaked and was the wrong hire from the get go.

Now, I'll get pile driven by the mopes for saying this next thing, but I could give a crap - we should've hired Butch. With where the school was and where Butch was at the time, that was the right move, but we still had a couple of butt-hurt BOT members who would rather be unnecessarily petty than have a winning ball club. At minimum, Butch would've righted the ship for the next guy, if not have gone far beyond that, but we'll never know.

Advertisement
Back