The real story

• Thread starter Deleted member 25719
  • Start date
Tell your relative to tell Spurrier that Tom Osborne remembers a similar effort from the Crocs when they couldn’t stop Nebraska’s ground game in the BCS title game.
One team quit the other got out skilled. Even you should be able to figure that one out. The Heels would have had 50 if we were allowed to tag their ball carriers! Our defense permitted something to happen that never occurred in the history of college football. Other than that it was all good!

Advertisement
You got me.

Notre Dame has a $13B endowment and Miami's is $1B.

Notre Dame football revenue was $110M last year and Miami's was $40M.

ND and Miami are very similar private universities right?
So what? Look at USC (also private) or Texas/many SEC schools (public), etc. It’s not a public/private thing as much as schools willing to make football a priority.

One team quit the other got out skilled. Even you should be able to figure that one out. The Heels would have had 50 if we were allowed to tag their ball carriers! Our defense permitted something to happen that never occurred in the history of college football. Other than that it was all good!
“Even you should be able to figure that one out.”

Wow. How gracious of you to think that a poor simpleton like me could understand your point.

BTW, the ability to recognize that yesterday’s performance was an historical disaster AND the ability to not care what Spurrier says when he takes a shot at Miami CAN actually be exercised at the same time.

“Even you should be able to figure that one out.”

Wow. How gracious of you to think that a poor simpleton like me could understand your point.

BTW, the ability to recognize that yesterday’s performance was an historical disaster AND the ability to not care what Spurrier says when he takes a shot at Miami CAN actually be exercised at the same time.
Again I have no issue with anyone speaking the truth and UM deserves all the criticism in the world from anyone who understands the game. One of our biggest supporters, Herbie called it embarrassing as did many others respected in the college football world. If you choose to defend that with the comparisons to Spurrier be my guest. Miami quit!
Also my apologies on being personal, was not necessary.

Last edited by a moderator:
So what? Look at USC (also private) or Texas/many SEC schools (public), etc. It’s not a public/private thing as much as schools willing to make football a priority.
ND is the exception to the private univ comment and they have 2 trips (if you include this year) to the CFP out of 40 slots in the last 10 years and they are top 10 in revenues. Its all about revenues and Miami is way down the list (in the 25-35 range).

If we are lucky and smart we can compete once out of every five years.

Nick Saban couldn't make chicken salad out of the chicken **** of revenue differential we currently have vs the big boys.

Advertisement
I keep saying it, but in this day and age of college football, we should be transitioning to putting the financial support behind the basketball program. Football has changed, it costs more to compete each year, and the gap is widening. We won't ever make it back to the top like before, but maybe we get lucky and have a shot here and there.

This isn't the Miami of old, hasn't been for a long time. That Miami is dead and buried.

Again I have no issue with anyone speaking the truth and UM deserves all the criticism in the world from anyone who understands the game. One of our biggest supporters, Herbie called it embarrassing as did many others respected in the college football world. If you choose to defend that with the comparisons to Spurrier be my guest. Miami quit!
Also my apologies on being personal, was not necessary.
Thanks.

I’m not looking to defend anything.

Spurrier has a long history of taking shots at the Canes whenever he can. He’s probably still sore about how Ted Hendricks ruined his Heisman season. I just don’t care what he says.

"Ed Reed as nothing more than a publicity stunt when you could hire an NFL executive with ties to every university and every NFL front and office in the country"

This right here tells you everything you need to know about the clown show administration we have. I love Ed Reed as a player but it is beyond obvious that it is just a publicity stunt. Highsmith was the hire with substance but when they didnt want to give him the power necessary it showed they weren't serious.
Nobody is going to hire someone they know is more competent than they are.

Advertisement
I haven’t read the entire thread yet but I’m surprised this question hasn’t been asked. Will there be any changes after yesterday?

Last edited:
The thing people realize is that the BOT doesn't want a real AD. The clown show isn't a bug, it's a feature.
If everything that was posted here last December/January is true, not all of the BOT feel like this. They just didn’t have enough power last year to make it happen. Manny won’t be fired after an 8-2 season but his seat will be pretty hot when it all implodes next season unless by some miracle King decides to come back.

If everything that was posted here last December/January is true, not all of the BOT feel like this. They just didn’t have enough power last year to make it happen. Manny won’t be fired after an 8-2 season but his seat will be pretty hot when it all implodes next season unless by some miracle King decides to come back.

It won't be a miracle with King coming back. He's not a draftable signal caller in the NFL right now and if that's his intent, he's got one year to prove he is.

Sorry, it doesn’t take alleged insiders to receive and share such “groundbreaking” news. It’s been publicly obvious to everyone with a pulse for over a decade...even on this board (and others).
Well, I think that's the point. Maybe some knowledgeable outsiders, with no axe to grind, spitting hard truths about our program, is what it will take to wake up the hard-headed among us.

Advertisement
King by himself, was still not enough to make a difference against good teams. And we're only 8-2 because we played an all crappy ACC schedule. The two competent teams we played smoked us.

Solution 1: Stop giving UM your time and money. Casually watch and go on with your life.

Solution 2: Realize that UM is happy being in the ACC, happy being a 7-8 win team, the football program not being a nuisance, and casually watch, go to a few games, enjoy the tailgates and friends, and go on with your life.

I fall somewhere between option 1 and 2. I've got 2 degrees from UM, tons of stuff I've collected over the years, half my wardrobe use to be UM gear. It's a hard habit to quit, but first step was giving up season tickets, and next step was stop donating, my third step was stop wearing UM gear. I dont think I'll ever not watch, but I know what to expect. I expect UM will win a few games, Florida talent is too good not to win a few. I expect that real football programs will grease us up like pigs to slaughter, and I expect to go to a mediocre bowl, get blown out. I then expect a few players to inexplicably leave the program and "turn pro", which, I've been complaining for years that, that very mentality is putting holes in the roster and it catches the coaching staff off guard every year. It's uncanny. Wash, rinse, repeat. It's been going on since 2004 ish. I told people waaaayyyy back in 04/05 that the admin did not care about winning once we went to the ACC and few except those who knew Shalala best believed me. So, I'll say it once again for the 15th year or so in a row yet again: The Admin does NOT care about being an elite football team. If that is your wish, find another program. If you just like UM, loved our history, have a degree and are connected to UM by whatever, know what you are dealing with. You will be much happier that way.

If you have season tickets, donate, and feel UM is this or that away from being elite, that's on you. How many times do you need clobbered in the head before you realize that being elite is simply not in the UM cards?

Not hanging up to listen, after 15 years, I know how hard headed some can be.

**** this is sobering on so many levels. NOw, Im a guy who is 'subway alum', honestly, its UM/College football and boxing for me, not that I dont like other sports, but those two are the things I truly care about. But yeah, for the first time, Im at this point where Im actually considering what Jefe just described.

I never thought I'd be at this point.

The double agents inside the program run deep, they set out to bring this program down over 20yrs ago, they/double agent administration didn't think butch davis would do what he did, they were way wrong which is why they tried to low ball and slow play em on his contract, once he dipped out, and kehoe, soldinger, hargreaves and the likes were let go, that broke up the True Miami culture, you need the right minded coach to have success here, everybody can't coach here. At this point, even butch could careless about coming back, although he probably still would. We barely got any local highschool coaches on staff like it use to be, the connection needs to be re_esta listed, otherwise, we'll continue to be just the 3rd or fourth best team in the conference, and remember, FSU has a better overall headcoach and staff in place than we do, coach diaz better wake his *** up!

Advertisement
Total control of football operations including his own choice for AD and final say on hiring and firing staff.Also a recruiting coordinator of his choice who had experience at a major program and the league. Additionally he woluld build a football ops department competitive with real programs. The control he demanded scared multiple people
So what does this all mean in terms of real change in the future? My recollection of last year was those wanting Alonzo to come in didn't have enough support at that time to make it happen. Has anything changed? Do you see this going further next time?

smh. Miami has money they just don't give a dam. Sissy talk. Hiring the right coach is some cases doesn't cost much of nothing when you look at the approach that's needed to make the right hire. Miami has to many people with your simple mind set in place regarding football related activities.
Miami has nowhere near the deep pockets you imply.

They are TCU-esque, not UT-esque.

Advertisement
Back