The real story

• Thread starter Deleted member 25719
  • Start date
Enlighten us.
Total control of football operations including his own choice for AD and final say on hiring and firing staff.Also a recruiting coordinator of his choice who had experience at a major program and the league. Additionally he woluld build a football ops department competitive with real programs. The control he demanded scared multiple people

Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement
Before around 2013, Clemson was a low revenue program. Then they started winning. Miami would get a huge ROI from a successful program. It's a myth Miami does not have the money. It does. It chooses not to invest in the program.

The powers that be don't give a ****... they have other social change aspirations than winning in anything....

.. it is the Shalala legacy.. .. Bass and Jen.

We need an exorcism not just coaching change.

Before around 2013, Clemson was a low revenue program. Then they started winning. Miami would get a huge ROI from a successful program. It's a myth Miami does not have the money. It does. It chooses not to invest in the program.
The myth is this Miami has money garbage.

The University and the Athletic Department are two separately run businesses. The University essentially does not contribute to the football program. Its the other way around. The football program pays UM 85x the cost of tuition. That is the extent of the financial relationship.

The football program (and all sports) are an autonomous business. The revenues generated by the sports business determines what can be spent.

The revenues at Miami are 1/2 of that of Bama/UGA/Ohio State/etc which means we have 1/2 as much to spend on our sports teams.

Can we hire a great young coach and can we make our money go further by being smart about who is hired? Yes.

Is it going to make up for a $40-70M difference in spending .... not likely and certainly not for any sustained period of time.

If the NFL had no salary cap would Bill Belichek be considered a genius if the Pats spent 1/2 as much as the top 10 teams in the league? Maybe for a while but not long term. Basically NCAAF is like MLB. The Rays or Marlins can be a top team every once in a while but the Dodgers/Yankees are a top team every single year.

I guess it all starts at the top and if the top wants to invest,and it has the funds as you say, it could be done. I just don't see UM as a school that will ever do what Bama, OSU, Texas and the other huge donor programs can do.

Advertisement
The myth is this Miami has money garbage.

The University and the Athletic Department are two separately run businesses. The University essentially does not contribute to the football program. Its the other way around. The football program pays UM 85x the cost of tuition. That is the extent of the financial relationship.

The football program (and all sports) are an autonomous business. The revenues generated by the sports business determines what can be spent.

The revenues at Miami are 1/2 of that of Bama/UGA/Ohio State/etc which means we have 1/2 as much to spend on our sports teams.

Can we hire a great young coach and can we make our money go further by being smart about who is hired? Yes.

Is it going to make up for a $40-70M difference in spending .... not likely and certainly not for any sustained period of time.

A big chunk of coaching salaries doesn't come from team revenue, it comes from boosters. Boosters open wallets for exciting programs. The Soffers were willing to pay 8 mil plus to buy out Cristobal from UO. Blake James instead decided to pay Temple 4 million to buy back Diaz. UGA puts 2 million into recruiting. Miami puts about 500k. Miami was giving Richt 1.5 mil to hire an OC. Diaz costs 1 mil less than Richt. Money is there. It's just not wisely spent.

What Miami doesn't have are boosters that happily give incompetent ADs checks for several million dollars when they don't see results. It's just like the fan numbers at the stadium. When Miami is good, it's full. When bad, it's empty. The boosters have better things to spend money on when they don't think donations will help the program because of an incompetent administration.

Last edited:
You lost all credibility with your hire Botch blah blah blah.

The truth of the OG post is that it's systemic from the top down but the unfortunate reality is that college football is too expensive to win at with the big boys for a private university.

Best we can hope for is every five years or so catching lightning in a bottle and making the playoffs. Anything more is unreachable.
Small private schools can and do make the playoffs. The problem isn’t financial.-

Blah blah blah. "Miami has all the money". Bull****.

The difference is that Bama, LSU, Clemson, Ohio State spend 2x as much as Miami does/can spend on football and then you add in alumni bases that are 5-10x the size of Miami and its a losing battle. This isn't 1980 or 2000 any more.
7+ mil for manny and the temple buyout. It’s decision making not money

Advertisement
Here’s some more about disfunction Bud. You have players doing interviews stating certain guys on the team didn’t buy in during the week of preparation, which indicates a total lack of leader ship from the coaches down to the players. My guys played here for five years, won games, won 55 Lost five and never once did somebody throw any other player under the bus. The reason bud was leadership Something this program has been lacking for 20 years and you cannot solve it by hiring Ed Reed to smoke cigars in Atlanta and this is not Ed’s fault. The offense and defense on those teams Had true leaders and ach position group also had their own leader. Those teams won by accountability and being great teammates not wearing turnover chains touchdown rings. They did they’re talking on the field and 55 wins and five losses including undefeated at home speaks for itself. Those guys were winners on and off the football field. They didn’t do it with smoke and mirrors

Wait??? I haven’t seen any post interviews; did we really have players saying some players didn’t buy in??? If so; this is the same chit being toted since Golden. It was Golden throwing his own players under the bus, openly. Then during the Richt era, all these “anonymous” sources leaking about players not buying in, and during Manny’s 1at season, “anonymous” sources leaking locker room issues as an excuse.

Wtf is going on? This ain’t on players....this is on leadership, meaning coaching!

A big chunk of coaching salaries doesn't come from team revenue, it comes from boosters. Boosters open wallets for exciting programs. The Soffers were willing to pay 8 mil plus to buy out Cristobal from UO. Blake James instead decided to pay Temple 4 million to buy back Diaz. UGA puts 2 million into recruiting. Miami puts about 500k. Miami was giving Richt 1.5 mil to hire an OC. Diaz costs 1 mil less than Richt. Money is there. It's just not wisely spent.
I 100% agree we have made poor choices and while we can be smarter with how spend our resources the fact remains that we have 1/2 the resources (and growing worse every year) than the big public universities.

We could pay Saban $10M a year but we won't have the additional $50M++ he has for all of his other coaches, support staff, facilities, etc.

Many of the issues within the athletic department at the U are obvious to even the casual observer. Unless a so called insider was actually in the room when certain decisions were made, the info said insider provides was received 2nd, 3rd, 4th hand. I tend to take what I read from CIS “insiders” with a grain of salt.

It's about time for my annual donation to the university. I'm thinking that "For Manny's buyout" should go in the memo field.

Advertisement
"Ed Reed as nothing more than a publicity stunt when you could hire an NFL executive with ties to every university and every NFL front and office in the country"

This right here tells you everything you need to know about the clown show administration we have. I love Ed Reed as a player but it is beyond obvious that it is just a publicity stunt. Highsmith was the hire with substance but when they didnt want to give him the power necessary it showed they weren't serious.

People have been saying this since the day it happened but the slurpers attack them.

Solution 1: Stop giving UM your time and money. Casually watch and go on with your life.

Solution 2: Realize that UM is happy being in the ACC, happy being a 7-8 win team, the football program not being a nuisance, and casually watch, go to a few games, enjoy the tailgates and friends, and go on with your life.

I fall somewhere between option 1 and 2. I've got 2 degrees from UM, tons of stuff I've collected over the years, half my wardrobe use to be UM gear. It's a hard habit to quit, but first step was giving up season tickets, and next step was stop donating, my third step was stop wearing UM gear. I dont think I'll ever not watch, but I know what to expect. I expect UM will win a few games, Florida talent is too good not to win a few. I expect that real football programs will grease us up like pigs to slaughter, and I expect to go to a mediocre bowl, get blown out. I then expect a few players to inexplicably leave the program and "turn pro", which, I've been complaining for years that, that very mentality is putting holes in the roster and it catches the coaching staff off guard every year. It's uncanny. Wash, rinse, repeat. It's been going on since 2004 ish. I told people waaaayyyy back in 04/05 that the admin did not care about winning once we went to the ACC and few except those who knew Shalala best believed me. So, I'll say it once again for the 15th year or so in a row yet again: The Admin does NOT care about being an elite football team. If that is your wish, find another program. If you just like UM, loved our history, have a degree and are connected to UM by whatever, know what you are dealing with. You will be much happier that way.

If you have season tickets, donate, and feel UM is this or that away from being elite, that's on you. How many times do you need clobbered in the head before you realize that being elite is simply not in the UM cards?

Not hanging up to listen, after 15 years, I know how hard headed some can be.

Brother point 1 is the key. Fans keep giving money, the program would be more than content.

Advertisement
Likely ND this year.
ND is basically larger than every public university if you consider the fan base as the nations Catholic university on top of having its own television deal. They also spend 2x what Miami spends.

If they make it this year that will be 2x in 10 years which is about what I said was the original expectation for Miami .... catch lightning in a bottle every 5 years or so.

All of that takes a lot of money. When butch left he was negotiating to be paid top 3 of college football coaches. Times have obviously changed. We used to be the haves and now we are the have nots. Don't think we can ever truly compete with the big boys again.
Have you seen the team Coastal Carolina has built this year? I can see us being booted out of the ACC in about 4 or 5 years for them or maybe some other up and comer from the area, especially another Carolina school. The money will run out sooner or later as we're leaching on this conference (we were barely accepted as it was) without being a winner in ANY sport.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back