The real story

• Thread starter Deleted member 25719
  • Start date
Advertisement
Solution 1: Stop giving UM your time and money. Casually watch and go on with your life.

Solution 2: Realize that UM is happy being in the ACC, happy being a 7-8 win team, the football program not being a nuisance, and casually watch, go to a few games, enjoy the tailgates and friends, and go on with your life.

I fall somewhere between option 1 and 2. I've got 2 degrees from UM, tons of stuff I've collected over the years, half my wardrobe use to be UM gear. It's a hard habit to quit, but first step was giving up season tickets, and next step was stop donating, my third step was stop wearing UM gear. I dont think I'll ever not watch, but I know what to expect. I expect UM will win a few games, Florida talent is too good not to win a few. I expect that real football programs will grease us up like pigs to slaughter, and I expect to go to a mediocre bowl, get blown out. I then expect a few players to inexplicably leave the program and "turn pro", which, I've been complaining for years that, that very mentality is putting holes in the roster and it catches the coaching staff off guard every year. It's uncanny. Wash, rinse, repeat. It's been going on since 2004 ish. I told people waaaayyyy back in 04/05 that the admin did not care about winning once we went to the ACC and few except those who knew Shalala best believed me. So, I'll say it once again for the 15th year or so in a row yet again: The Admin does NOT care about being an elite football team. If that is your wish, find another program. If you just like UM, loved our history, have a degree and are connected to UM by whatever, know what you are dealing with. You will be much happier that way.

If you have season tickets, donate, and feel UM is this or that away from being elite, that's on you. How many times do you need clobbered in the head before you realize that being elite is simply not in the UM cards?

Not hanging up to listen, after 15 years, I know how hard headed some can be.

EVERYTHING and I do mean EVERYTHING in that post has been preached upon by myself and others on this board for over 15 years going back to Grassy.

Our un-athletic department is one of the biggest administrative jokes on the collegiate circuit.

Until the disease isn't cured, the symptoms are just going to keep recycling with different names attached. Right now it's Manny Diaz, in a few years he'll have a different name with the same results.
dead on man, dead on, we been on same page the last 15 yrs

Advertisement
Strangely enough, this exact set of comments has been made by posters on this board over and over and over again for years and years and years.

Yup.

Anyway, Miami is broken and rotten from its very core. Playing whack-a-mole with every crappy new coach we hire gets us nowhere.

Blake has to go. The people with any sway on the BOT need to hire a legit AD and get out of his way and let him put an end to the amateur hour circus they're running over there.

Otherwise we'll be having this same convo in 3/4 years.

Blah blah blah. "Miami has all the money". Bull****.

The difference is that Bama, LSU, Clemson, Ohio State spend 2x as much as Miami does/can spend on football and then you add in alumni bases that are 5-10x the size of Miami and its a losing battle. This isn't 1980 or 2000 any more.
Maybe so but we can be competitive. $4 million to buy out Manny from Temple where he was on staff for 3 weeks. If you are paying Manny around $4 million right now, you think you cannot drop another couple of million for a better HC and staff? The opportunity costs of buyouts of firing your staff every 4 or 5 years justifies the investment. Attendance alone benefits with competent coaching and a competitive team.

Yup.

Anyway, Miami is broken and rotten from its very core. Playing whack-a-mole with every crappy new coach we hire gets us nowhere.

Blake has to go. The people with any sway on the BOT need to hire a legit AD and get out of his way and let him put an end to the amateur hour circus they're running over there.

Otherwise we'll be having this same convo in 3/4 years.
The thing people realize is that the BOT doesn't want a real AD. The clown show isn't a bug, it's a feature.

Some things have to stay within the family. My source who would have been part of the solution and I think that has been proven here multiple times. Believe what you choose to believe, my guys know what they are talking about. Spurrier and my relative who both won a prestigious trophy, talked at halftime of the Gates game last night and Steve said “that is the worst effort I’ve seen at any level in my life,” I’m the same guy that got mocked here because I praised Ohio State and Bama for their PROGRAM S. We can only wish.
Spurrier's talk didn't matter. They still lost to a 3-win team with a freshman QB.

Advertisement
Blah blah blah. "Miami has all the money". Bull****.

The difference is that Bama, LSU, Clemson, Ohio State spend 2x as much as Miami does/can spend on football and then you add in alumni bases that are 5-10x the size of Miami and its a losing battle. This isn't 1980 or 2000 any more.

Still dont get it do you. How much would it cost to hire a jimmy Johnson before he became jimmy Johnson? Identifying a talented coach is the key. You're just a hard headed *** dude who not only doesn't know what he doesnt know but you don't ***** listen.

Regardless of that simple fact Miami has money regardless of what some below avg college degree carrier says

EVERYTHING and I do mean EVERYTHING in that post has been preached upon by myself and others on this board for over 15 years going back to Grassy.

Our un-athletic department is one of the biggest administrative jokes on the collegiate circuit.

Until the disease isn't cured, the symptoms are just going to keep recycling with different names attached. Right now it's Manny Diaz, in a few years he'll have a different name with the same results.
Just curious do you have any idea what Alonzo’s approach what have been and what was discussed?

Advertisement
All of that takes a lot of money. When butch left he was negotiating to be paid top 3 of college football coaches. Times have obviously changed. We used to be the haves and now we are the have nots. Don't think we can ever truly compete with the big boys again.

Advertisement
This is the unfortunate reality of our situation and hopefully yesterday opened everyone's eyes and we can stop deluding ourselves with TuRnOvEr ChAiN 8-2 tHoUgH bRo!

This whole ******* thing goes far beyond firing some lame *** coaches. Why? So we can replace Blake baker with the bartender?? So we can fire Manny next year and Blake James puts maybe 3 more hours of effort than his previous attempt and hires Charlie Strong?? There isn't a single person above them that can identify what a qualified coach at the university of Miami SHOULD look like.
To add on to your point there has been constant turnover with coaches the past few years. How do we expect to develop kids with this happening.

Still dont get it do you. How much would it cost to hire a jimmy Johnson before he became jimmy Johnson? Identifying a talented coach is the key. You're just a hard headed *** dude who not only doesn't know what he doesnt know but you don't ***** listen.

Regardless of that simple fact Miami has money regardless of what some below avg college degree carrier says
Actually, you don't get it clown.

Alabama football had $125M in revenue and $60M in PROFIT on football last year. They have more analysts that aren't even considered coaches that have head coaching experience at P5 programs than we have interns.

Miami doesn't even spend $40M on its football program.

THEY SPEND WAY MORE MONEY AND ITS NOT EVEN CLOSE.

98 out of 100 times you get what you pay for.

As for the rest of your comment about what I do/don't know dip**** ... I graduated from UM and have been a 25+ year season ticket holder and have had a career in finance since graduating so I'm pretty confident I know at least as much as you about the Miami football program and how finance and economics work.

All of that takes a lot of money. When butch left he was negotiating to be paid top 3 of college football coaches. Times have obviously changed. We used to be the haves and now we are the have nots. Don't think we can ever truly compete with the big boys again.

Before around 2013, Clemson was a low revenue program. Then they started winning. Miami would get a huge ROI from a successful program. It's a myth Miami does not have the money. It does. It chooses not to invest in the program.

Advertisement
Back