The real Kurt Hester

This gives more context to the crazed Cajun Rambo persona. Clearly a sharp guy that thinks about his craft.

Advertisement
Why are we so confident we’ll get him?

We aren’t. Honestly I brought his name up on the board a few days ago because of his connection to Diaz and the fact that he would be a good hire. Then boom yesterday a couple media pick up his name and it’s spread from there. In case y’all don’t realize, the media read these boards to generate a lot of their stories. Not saying I broke some type of news, but I wonder would anyone know his name if I didn’t mention it a few days ago.

This is what I meant by “he doesn’t play ball”. Meaning he is a leader in result driven analytics being a major factor in strength and conditioning. He was giving NFL combine officials **** for placing such heavy emphasis on the 225 bench press rep max and the 40 (straight line ) speed dash.

I work in the S&C field so I'm all about this hire (if it happens), but any S&C coach worth their salt SHOULD be applying data driven analysis in their approach. Anyone that doesn't is extremely behind the times and is completely guessing. To a certain extent, I'm sure Swasey and Felder did the same thing with our guys. Assess, test, train, then reassess and retest to see if improvements were made. That's not exactly "cutting edge" but I know what you guys are saying because we're not exactly used to competent coaching around UM.

What makes that video and his approach "different" is that he came up with his own process on how to develop players and doesn't take a dogmatic approach to training principles. You only earn that right as a coach when you've been around the block because that takes balls.

I said this in another thread but he's also worked with and learned from one of the GOATs, Gayle Hatch. It's old, but peep this list of coaches who have worked with Hatch. You might see a few familiar names. If this hire goes through, we'd be in good hands.

http://www.gaylehatch.com/coaches.htm

Advertisement
The thing I loved hearing - it was not about speed and strength.

It was about quickness and power. He actually said, "Power."

I work in the S&C field so I'm all about this hire (if it happens), but any S&C coach worth their salt SHOULD be applying data driven analysis in their approach. Anyone that doesn't is extremely behind the times and is completely guessing. To a certain extent, I'm sure Swasey and Felder did the same thing with our guys. Assess, test, train, then reassess and retest to see if improvements were made. That's not exactly "cutting edge" but I know what you guys are saying because we're not exactly used to competent coaching around UM.

What makes that video and his approach "different" is that he came up with his own process on how to develop players and doesn't take a dogmatic approach to training principles. You only earn that right as a coach when you've been around the block because that takes balls.

I said this in another thread but he's also worked with and learned from one of the GOATs, Gayle Hatch. It's old, but peep this list of coaches who have worked with Hatch. You might see a few familiar names. If this hire goes through, we'd be in good hands.

http://www.gaylehatch.com/coaches.htm
What data?

And why test/what are you testing? In my opinion it's wasting time that you could spend improving.

Give him a follow on IG @hesterkurt lots of cool clips of their training at LA Tech. Lots of interesting stuff. I like the way he tries to apply everything to football specific skills and movements not just moving weight. Sounds obvious but he does it to another level.

I said this in another thread but he's also worked with and learned from one of the GOATs, Gayle Hatch. /QUOTE]

Hatch AND Tom Shaw, too, so he's learned from the best for both strength and speed. Combine that with all the education and certifications Hester has, he would be a home run hire.

Advertisement
Give him a follow on IG @hesterkurt lots of cool clips of their training at LA Tech. Lots of interesting stuff. I like the way he tries to apply everything to football specific skills and movements not just moving weight. Sounds obvious but he does it to another level.
Good call. Him and I know some of the same people so I reached out to him. See if he responds.

This guy is light years ahead of both Felder and Swasey, sign him the fck up.

Advertisement
What data?

And why test/what are you testing? In my opinion it's wasting time that you could spend improving.
Data meaning metrics. i.e. Speed testing numbers, lifting numbers, etc. All that stuff is valuable when looking at progress. It validates your training. If you don't know where you're at, how can you know where or IF you're even making progress? You have to track performance, so that's what I meant by data driven analysis.

And why test? Well that goes back to tracking performance and getting physical evidence of whether or not you're even improving.

I like this dude.
I would imagine he's gotta be itching to work with athletes like ours on a regular basis.

Advertisement
Data meaning metrics. i.e. Speed testing numbers, lifting numbers, etc. All that stuff is valuable when looking at progress. It validates your training. If you don't know where you're at, how can you know where or IF you're even making progress? You have to track performance, so that's what I meant by data driven analysis.

And why test? Well that goes back to tracking performance and getting physical evidence of whether or not you're even improving.
Love the modern data driven analysis to enhance performance....me thinks the players can relate to that, and track their progress and development also....totally agree Very pro active, and should be effective to tie into the use of devices in helping develop all our players....excellent stuff.

Advertisement
Back