The phantom TD... (Photo inside)

How come football doesn't use the same ball location technology they have in tennis and Soccer?

because in tennis and soccer the ball is on its own, not tucked into a player's arm/abdomen. hawkeye uses a ton of cameras to determine the ball's location and the technology can isolates the ball. it's not possible in football.
Also, in tennis and soccer only the ball matters. If they could synchronize it with video from the game, the ref could stop the video at the point the runner is down and see where the ball is at that moment. Otherwise, you just have where the ball is and not when the player was down.

Advertisement
non duke td.jpg

This is the best pic that I could find. QB is clearly down (elbow touching field) with the ball several inches short of the goal line. The Duke OL is just about lying across the goal...no way the QB could have crossed.

nice pic - please post this anytime anybody anywhere posts the pic of Walton's lateral.

View attachment 33346

This is the best pic that I could find. QB is clearly down (elbow touching field) with the ball several inches short of the goal line. The Duke OL is just about lying across the goal...no way the QB could have crossed.

Thats the 4th down stop that they got right in the first quarter...Juwon Young showed up on the goalline twice

Advertisement
View attachment 33346

Thats the 4th down stop that they got right in the first quarter...Juwon Young showed up on the goalline twice

Someone on twitter sent pic to me who would have no reason to toss around BS. But I will stand corrected if that is the case.

View attachment 33346

Someone on twitter sent pic to me who would have no reason to toss around BS. But I will stand corrected if that is the case.

The cane with the visor on the right is Deon Bush. If you look at the screen shot in the OP he's covering a Duke player wide left. No chance he gets there to make a play on the phantom TD

Advertisement
How come football doesn't use the same ball location technology they have in tennis and Soccer?

because in tennis and soccer the ball is on its own, not tucked into a player's arm/abdomen. hawkeye uses a ton of cameras to determine the ball's location and the technology can isolates the ball. it's not possible in football.
Also, in tennis and soccer only the ball matters. If they could synchronize it with video from the game, the ref could stop the video at the point the runner is down and see where the ball is at that moment. Otherwise, you just have where the ball is and not when the player was down.

In tennis, Hawkeye only uses 3 cameras.

The football shape, not being a sphere, could be a problem.

Don't they also use it in baseball, for the strike zone?

Wonderful picture in the Raleigh News & Observer of the knee absolutely down..Front page color picture 8"x10" with 3 full pages of disgrunted Duke fans posting opinions about the lousy call...Small 3" by 3" commit that the last TD by Duke looked questionable..It comes around as they say..

Wonderful picture in the Raleigh News & Observer of the knee absolutely down..Front page color picture 8"x10" with 3 full pages of disgrunted Duke fans posting opinions about the lousy call...Small 3" by 3" commit that the last TD by Duke looked questionable..It comes around as they say..

Duke crying about this is ridiculous.

1) clean int
2) bad PI call #2
3) bad PI call #3
4) phantom td

All this *****in about UM not "respecting the game" and all that bs is flat out hypocritical. Here's how you deal with it like a man:

Disputed Call May Have Cost Miami Its Ranking as No. 1 - latimes
Disputed Call May Have Cost Miami Its Ranking as No. 1

October 18, 1988|THOMAS BONK | Times Staff Writer
A storm of controversy has kicked up around the University of Miami football team, whose reigning national champions may have lost their No. 1 ranking because of a call that one official reportedly admitted was wrong after Saturday's 31-30 defeat at Notre Dame.
The loss not only ended Miami's 36-game regular-season winning streak and knocked the Hurricanes out of the No. 1 spot in the college football polls after 6 weeks, but it also might never have happened, were it not for a confusing chain of events in the fourth quarter that gave Notre Dame the ball.
Miami Coach Jimmy Johnson refused to blame the officials, even though he said they had made an error, and one unidentified official was quoted as saying the call had been blown.

"We all make mistakes," Johnson said. "We all have to live with them."

The controversial ruling occurred with 7 minutes left in the game. Notre Dame led, 31-24, but Miami had the ball on 4th and 7 at the Irish 11-yard line.

Sharpe: Jenkins, Gamble admit pass interference call wrong (Updated) ? Miami Hurricanes ? Sun-Sentinel
Sharpe: Jenkins, Gamble admit pass interference call wrong (Updated)

by: Steve Gorten September 6th, 2010 | 3:07 PM
CORAL GABLES — Former Hurricanes cornerback Glenn Sharpe has always maintained he wasn’t guilty of pass interference on Ohio State’s Chris Gamble on the controversial play in the 2002 national title game.
Apparently, a couple of Buckeyes think the same.
Sharpe told me in a phone interview Sunday that his former Atlanta Falcons teammate Michael Jenkins, Ohio State’s leading receiver in that game, ”used to say all the time, ‘Yeah man, Chris was like, ‘Man, you know that was no pass interference.’ But he was going to take it cause the ref gave it to him.”
Sharpe added, “I’ve been told by Jenkins that Chris admitted it himself that it wasn’t pass interference. Even Jenkins said that. He was like, ‘Yeah, they [the refs] got you.”
Sharpe said Jenkins, “is a stand-up guy” and “he wasn’t really trying to rub anything in my face.”
The Hurricanes appeared to have won the 2003 Fiesta Bowl, which decided the ‘02 title, for about three seconds after the incompletion in the end zone until Porter threw a flag.
Here’s a few more comments from Sharpe regarding the 2003 Fiesta Bowl:
— (on what a national championship would have meant) “Obviously, with that being my freshman year and me being from Miami, [winning the title] would have been a big moment. …To come into college and win a national championship your first year, it doesn’t get any better than that.”
— (on the few seconds between the ball hitting the turf and the flag being thrown) ”I was real ecstatic, but then I saw the dreaded flag come out and I was like ‘Ah, man.’ I felt like they had gotten over on me a little bit. But there was nothing I could do about it. That’s just the way the chips fell.”
— (on watching replay of the controversial call) “It took me a while to watch the play to be honest with you. Because I knew what happened and I was real disappointed about it. And I just didn’t want to keep replaying that in my mind because at the end of the day, he made that call and [the refs] have to deal with that. I would feel much worse if I actually did pass interference. But since I know I didn’t, it kind of frees my mind. I don’t feel as though I did anything wrong. I just feel I got a tough break.”
“I’ve only watched that play twice. The first time I watched it was to see if there could have been any type of reason for calling pass intereference. The second time I watched it, I tried to watch it to see what I could have done better, find something I could have improved on. But that was it.”
“I felt we were robbed of a national championship — the whole team, not just me. It wasn’t that I thought, ‘Oh, they ruined my career’ or ‘They called a bad play on me.’ I was more concerned about the team. We busted our butts that year, we had a great team and I felt like we really deserved to win that game.”
(on getting over the call in ensuing years) “Football is just like life. A lot of times, things aren’t going to go the way you expect. But the main thing is to try to learn from every circumstance and every situation and don’t let it affect how you view things or affect your attitude.”

Advertisement

I'm not sure, I think maybe they just track the ball with a few cameras. Remember the blue line in hockey one broadcast used to have so people could track it on the ice? I think baseball is like that maybe?

hawkeye actually uses 6-7 cameras depending on the venue. the main problem with football is that the system can't discern where the ball is if it's not moving through the air because it would be concealed if it's held by a runner. it could work to determine if laterals are laterals, but not goalline situations. and the shape of the object shouldn't matter because it's also used in badminton.

edit: actually australian football tried it and it didn't work out.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-07-08/support-after-hawkeye-trial-

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back