The pass rush...

Zanecane

7th Floor Crew
is making it extremely difficult on our secondary. Having no difference maker off the edge forces our DB's to cover for a longer amount of time. So we blitz, and when you blitz to create pressure you also create bigger windows for QB's to throw into. Good QB's like the one's we'll face in ACC play will find them.

I'm only pointing this out because the secondary has taken the brunt of the "our biggest concern is" comments and I don't agree with it.

Advertisement
Didn't notice much blitzing, seemed like a lot of four man rushing vs Temple. Or was I just drunk and not paying much attention?
Less this week for sure. Not getting consistent pressure off the edge with 4 caused our guys to have to try and cover longer tho.

Advertisement
It’s a combination. The secondary def has lapses and issue communicating or passing off ppl in zones/man coverages.

The pass rush is definitely a problem that needs to get figured out. It will be needed against all the teams moving forward

Its a pass happy league and you'll get beat from time to time when offenses execute. Communication can be better you're right.

The long third down conversions are the plays where I just wish we bailed them out with more pressure from the front 4

Not a big fan of our philosophy on the back end of our defense. A lot of soft coverage and spot dropping...leaves large open windows in the zones.
CB's playing a ton of off coverage, giving up easy throws.
The commentator yesterday even said something about it and mentioned that Cristobal apparently wanted to see us challenge receivers more at the line.

I even remember seeing a few disgruntled faces on the sidelines after our CB gave up an easy 9 yard hitch route on 3rd down playing off coverage.

Not a big fan of our philosophy on the back end of our defense. A lot of soft coverage and spot dropping...leaves large open windows in the zones.
The commentator yesterday even said something about it and mentioned that Cristobal apparently wanted to see us challenge receivers more at the line.

I even remember seeing a few disgruntled faces on the sidelines after our CB gave up an easy 9 yard hitch route on 3rd down playing off coverage.
Why does Guidry's system call for this type of coverge, coach?

Advertisement

Was yesterday different than you have seem previously or has this been all season?

is making it extremely difficult on our secondary. Having no difference maker off the edge forces our DB's to cover for a longer amount of time. So we blitz, and when you blitz to create pressure you also create bigger windows for QB's to throw into. Good QB's like the one's we'll face in ACC play will find them.

I'm only pointing this out because the secondary has taken the brunt of the "our biggest concern is" comments and I don't agree with it.
Two words to settle your concerns: Lance Guidry.

Advertisement
We have a good D line and apparently good depth. If the refs threw flags for holding our DL would look elite. However the truth is there aren't difference makers. I do trust them against the run but not to make explosive plays in the backfield. We can't sack Miami, we can't sack A&M, Bethune evaded us, we barely got home vs Temple. No difference makers.

I'm not sure to blame Guidry, the DL, or the CBs for how we are playing the pass.

I do like winning and the defense has held up so far. I am pleased enough to not be a mope but I'm watching and waiting.

Maybe Guidry is concerned with the possible lack of speed on the backend so he plays more zone as way to protect them. Especially with the eraser, Kam, being out.

On the post game show, I think Donorfio was brought up. Same type of coverage.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back