The onside kick

You can't fair catch a squib kick. Just ******* kick it so it bounces and try to pin them inside the 15 or something. No need to do the onside, especially when apparenlty we've never ******* practiced one or learned how to do one in the past two ******* seasons.

Advertisement
I've seen a lot of talk on Twitter about the onside kick. Hindsight is 20/20 but a lot of people were calling for it since it would only be a net 15 yard difference from a touchback with the personal foul.

My thinking was to pooch kick it to like the 10. is there a reason why that wouldn't work? Kick it high, let the team fly down hill and pin them back.

I'm honestly asking because I swear I was watching a game earlier in the day Saturday and someone waved for a fair catch in the endzone then ran up and caught the ball at like the 2 yard line and it was taken out to the 25 like a touchback.

THAT'S THE RULE. FAIR CATCH INSIDE THE 25, BALL GOES TO THE 25. BUT, THAT BEING SAID, THE DECISION TO ON SIDE KICK WAS THE MOST STUPID THING EVER. 3+ MINUTES, 3 TO'S, A GREAT DEFENSE. DUMB, DUMB, DUMB

I didn't have a problem with the call. I got a problem with Richt thinking that we could actually execute the plan. IF we had a good experienced kicker that has mastered this kick in practice, then fine go for it. The reality is that our ST sucks and if this would have worked it would have been a miracle considering the state of our special teams. We do however have a very good defense and it was obvious that they would have tried to run out the clock with run plays. The odds of a three and out and a bad punt or good return were much better than executing the onside kick IMO.

It was a reasonable call. Without a catastrophe, its a ~10% chance of success vs UVA starting at the 40 instead of the 25, a difference of 15 yards. Seems like a reasonable risk/reward trade under the circumstances. You guys would be crowning him if it worked....

Considering how inept our offense is, even if Virginia goes 3 & out from thier 40, it's still 15 more yards our offense that has to gain to get into field goal range.

Richt took a chance to get the ball back, knowing he had an elite defense to back him up. And a crappy punter.

Advertisement
10 or 15 yds of field position could make the difference between being able to kick a tying FG or not. You blast it out of the endzone, play great defense and get the ball in reasonable field position with a chance to drive for a tying FG or winning TD. That call made absolutely no sense at all, it was shockingly stupid.

If we had a competent special teams unit and a competent special teams coach than an onside kick would’ve been a great call and you live or die with the result which 99.9% of the time wouldn’t have been the outcome we witnessed during that instance.

The fact is we have the worst special teams unit coaching everything of all time and it’s not even close so I would’ve just kicked it long and left it to the defense and timeouts to get the ball back for one more shot.

The fact that the results of the onside kick was only 2nd worst possible outcome to having the return team actually score was like pure KARMA... karma was sitting there like “you fools have the WOAT special teams unit and trying to onside kick lol??” well here’s a big fck you to that dumbass idea!!!

It was a reasonable call. Without a catastrophe, its a ~10% chance of success vs UVA starting at the 40 instead of the 25, a difference of 15 yards. Seems like a reasonable risk/reward trade under the circumstances. You guys would be crowning him if it worked....

This just happened last year (almost to the date) where he tried a surprise onside and GT returned it for a td in the same way uva almost did. Almost cost us the game then too. Maybe he will learn when he tries it a third time?? Time to shelf that one for awhile probably. In a vacuum it is reasonable, but our defense, a freshman kicker, 3 timeouts and richt's short memory, not the right call

Geogia Tech 2017
FSU 2018
UVA 2018
equals desperation.
No way to win a FB game..

Advertisement
You know your special teams are a disaster and your defense is the reason you're not 1-6. That's a bad call.

It was a horrible call. The defense was more likely to get a stop than us recovering the onside. Even if they recovered and get a 3 and out, they would pin us back behind the 20 on a punt with about 2:30-2:40 to play. At that point, you're asking Rosier to run the 2 minute offense with their defense selling on the pass? Not happening, considering he was still only a shade above 50% completion for the game, most yards/completions came from dumps and flats. Consider that on the previous drive, Rosier needed 11 plays and 4:38 of the clock to flip the field and then rely on a broken play to score a touchdown. Grateful for the kid being a team player even when he was benched. But let's be real here, Rosier does not generate a good offense and his ceiling is only a few inches above the floor.

Richt got outcoached by Mendenhall, who wasn't even trying.. UVa was held to 231 yards of offense at home, coughed up 3 TOs, with a QB who had a QBR below 10....and we still lost.

I really thought Richt was just sending a message to Perry and put him in the game later. It turned out to just be wishful thinking. At this point in the season, with the CFP way out of reach and being possibly out of the conversation for a New Year's 6, we gotta go with one of the younger QB's and start looking for development beyond this season. This is not the time for Rosier's "going out party," which is probably equivalent to Friday night Bingo.

Year 3 and we don't even have an offensive identity. Spin however you want to spin. That's a **** poor job on Richt's part.

I was ok with the onside kick. The problem is larger than this one decision. Special-teams are an afterthought for this staff. But hey, it's only 1/3 of the game . . .

that was on the kicker. Probably one of the 5 worst on sides kicks ever. It went 5 yards. and our line was looking at it paralyzed it was so **** bad waiting for it to go 10 yards. They were well coached on what to do.

Our unspecial teams is an issue. Period.

Advertisement
that was on the kicker. Probably one of the 5 worst on sides kicks ever. It went 5 yards. and our line was looking at it paralyzed it was so **** bad waiting for it to go 10 yards. They were well coached on what to do.

Our unspecial teams is an issue. Period.

Wait a minute. Did you change your user name?

Advertisement
Haven't posted a bunch lately in neither here or WEZ. That game got me wound up. Had to come back and see the meltdown.

Wait tho what was your former name? I'm embarrassed that I can't remember now. I just remember the 22k+

Lol at anyone complaining at that call. There was a lot wrong with the game, that call wasn’t one of them. In fact half the arguments you guys are making (how nasty our D has been playing) makes it even more reasonable to take the risk. What’s the difference between the 25 and the 40 when your D is that good? Silly, it was awful excecution that’s it, 100% the right call.

Wait tho what was your former name? I'm embarrassed that I can't remember now. I just remember the 22k+
Been the same since day 1 in 2011. Most of my posts were WEZ though. When they split, it kept the same post count. I think I got 2k posts here since and over 45k over there.

Advertisement
Back