The onside kick

zeeblet01

Recruit
I've seen a lot of talk on Twitter about the onside kick. Hindsight is 20/20 but a lot of people were calling for it since it would only be a net 15 yard difference from a touchback with the personal foul.

My thinking was to pooch kick it to like the 10. is there a reason why that wouldn't work? Kick it high, let the team fly down hill and pin them back.

I'm honestly asking because I swear I was watching a game earlier in the day Saturday and someone waved for a fair catch in the endzone then ran up and caught the ball at like the 2 yard line and it was taken out to the 25 like a touchback.

Advertisement
A pooch kick can be fair caught. If fair caught, UVA would get the ball at the 25. New rule.

I might have tried a squib kick down the middle of the field. Hope the ball does not make it to the end zone and UVA downs the ball deep. Or muffs the ball and Miami recovers.

that's a fair point but geez, with 3 timeouts, I still dont agree with that decision

I've seen a lot of talk on Twitter about the onside kick. Hindsight is 20/20 but a lot of people were calling for it since it would only be a net 15 yard difference from a touchback with the personal foul.

My thinking was to pooch kick it to like the 10. is there a reason why that wouldn't work? Kick it high, let the team fly down hill and pin them back.

I'm honestly asking because I swear I was watching a game earlier in the day Saturday and someone waved for a fair catch in the endzone then ran up and caught the ball at like the 2 yard line and it was taken out to the 25 like a touchback.

the field was shorter after the personal foul penalty, so the defenders weren't spread out enough for the pooch. Bottom line, we didn't execute the play and then proceeded to implode. The rest is Monday-morning QB.

People say Richt is too conservative but then criticize the guy for being aggressive on a calculated risk like this. It's all just playing the result.

Advertisement
the field was shorter after the personal foul penalty, so the defenders weren't spread out enough for the pooch. Bottom line, we didn't execute the play and then proceeded to implode. The rest is Monday-morning QB.

People say Richt is too conservative but then criticize the guy for being aggressive on a calculated risk like this. It's all just playing the result.
I agree with the Monday morning QB and I was okay either way I just never saw such a poorly executed onside kick.
I wouldn't pooch to recover, I would do it to pin them back. i feel like there is a play there but then again if we kick an onside kick 5 yards, miss short field goals, and punt 30 yards it's unlikely we would execute the pooch kick anyway

shouldve just kicked it deep, you had 3 timeouts with a dominant d who would've got you a 3 and out most likely with thomas back to field the punt and an opportunity to take it back or at least flip the field

shouldve just kicked it deep, you had 3 timeouts with a dominant d who would've got you a 3 and out most likely with thomas back to field the punt and an opportunity to take it back or at least flip the field

Agree with this, especially in a game where your offense struggles so much, every yard counts

Respectfully disagree, you have 3 timeouts and a defense rocking with for the first time all game UV under some pressure to not give the ball away. Meaning they were going to pass the ball. You bet on the defense that keep you in the game time and time again.

Advertisement
Doesn't matter if it was the right call or not.

The real question is why are our special teams so ugly? We don't ever come close to properly executing.

Our LS is our best special teams player. That should tell us something about the corching that's going on here.

It was a reasonable call. Without a catastrophe, its a ~10% chance of success vs UVA starting at the 40 instead of the 25, a difference of 15 yards. Seems like a reasonable risk/reward trade under the circumstances. You guys would be crowning him if it worked....

Doesn't matter if it was the right call or not.

The real question is why are our special teams so ugly? We don't ever come close to properly executing.

Our LS is our best special teams player. That should tell us something about the corching that's going on here.
Respectfully disagree, you have 3 timeouts and a defense rocking with for the first time all game UV under some pressure to not give the ball away. Meaning they were going to pass the ball. You bet on the defense that keep you in the game time and time again.

I was surprised to see him make that call, too, but in hindsight can see what he was thinking. Either way the defense needs and 3-and-out, but the kick gives the offense a chance to control the ball.

It was among the more foolish moves Ive seen a competent coach make.

The success rate of onside kicks where the receiving team knows its coming is almost nil. The success rate of surprise onside kicks is much higher. At best we should have done a surprise onside kick.

That aside, it was foolish. 3 minutes left and assured touchback when we only needed a field goal.

Advertisement
I love how even our ST onside kickoff unit is a disaster both sides of the ball. FIU walked towards the ball and recovered theirs, meanwhile we basically handed the ball off to UVA.

Good points.

How is it hindsight to say it was a terrible call when even the most casual fan knows the most dysfunctional.part of our team is the not so special.special team. The only correct call was kick it into the end zone. No time off the clock. Trust the best part of our team to force them.to punt with a good 2and a half minutes left on the clock from about their 30

Advertisement
3 minutes to go with 3 timeouts. Dumb a$$ call. Just shows how incompetent we are. So stupid.

It was 100% the correct call. If anything else, you squib it as has been previously mentioned. But who has confidence that Baxa could keep that in bounds? He hasn't done it once all year. It's 100% the correct call considering the penalty. Without the penalty, of course you kick deep. But with kicking off at the 50, you have to assume worst case, the other team gets the ball at their 40. The risk is worth it for a 15 yard difference. You don't expect your kicker to kick the ball 6 yards and the other team to run it back to the 25 yard line.

15 yards is a lot guys. Wow. This play was the absolute dumbest decision ever. You HAVE 3 TIMEOUTS and a QB that looks like he is left handed but decided to throw with his right arm for the game......Holy Crap people. come on

Advertisement
Back