The one thing we do well

Another interesting article about Cristobal and Herbert.

"The Ducks wasted a lot of what he could have brought to the table.

I believe it was the classic case of trying to fit a quarterback into a system rather than fitting a system to the quarterback."

The fact that people were making this criticism about Marios offense a few years ago and now it looks its happening all over again strongly suggests it isn't a coincidence.

Advertisement
they do need to own up to the fact they keep trotting out kids like mallory, flagg, justice, and ivy. just let the freshman make the mistakes.
Own up? LMAO!!!! Next Saturday vs UNC they will trot out Mallory, Flagg, Justice and Ivy the same way they've been trotting them out all season. They are also going to trot out a completely unplayable TVD who will continue to pat the ball, chop his feet, miss wide open receivers if he even sees them and be totally ineffective. Consequently we will attempt to run the ball only to run into UNC's 8 man fronts. We will likely not even score 30 points while Drake Maye and the UNC offense drop a 50 burger on us at home. This is all going to get a lot worse before it gets better.

UM had the #26 offense in CFB in 2020 and averaged more than 34 PPG with D'Eriq King at QB.
UM had the #23 offense in CFB in 2021 and averaged more 34 PPG for the 2nd year in a row mostly with TVD at QB. So that's two different QBs with vastly different styles and yet UM nearly had a top 25 offense for consecutive years.

In 2020, UM's top 4 leading receivers were Harley, Brevin Jordan, Mark Pope, and Dee Wiggins. Of all those players, only Jordan was drafted, in the 5th round (he barely sees the field). In 2020, Jordan also missed 3 games and wasn't healthy a good part of the season. Harley was a marginally talented WR but reliable. He ended up as a UDFA (not sure if is still on a roster). Both Pope and Wiggins later transferred and they currently barely play at their respective schools. That's pretty much a bunch of JAGs catching the ball yet it was still near top 25.

In 2021, UM's top 4 leading receivers were Rambo, Harley, Mallory, and K. Smith. Manny Diaz went into the portal to get Rambo because he knew the WR corps was so weak. Harley, as previously mentioned, was a UDFA and as far as I'm aware, he hasn't played a NFL snap. Both Mallory and K. Smith are still on the roster. Outside of Rambo, again a bunch of JAGs.

So how is that Manny Diaz managed to squeeze out near top 25 production for consecutive years from a group of marginally talented pass catchers and with two different QBs, but Mario Cristobal with an even more experienced OL and two experienced QBs on the roster, can't even manage 23 PPG (which is being generous, and is considerably inflated because of blowing up BCU)? You honestly believe there has been a gigantic dropoff in talent at TE/WR since between 2021 and 2022? We had JAGs then, we have JAGs now, the difference is that we had coaches that somehow managed to get far more out of the marginal pass catching talent on the team.
not to mention with a bad running offensive line with almost no thread of running game/production...

Meh, so did MTSU and they looked light years ahead of us. Again, sure everyone wants more talent, but the coRching is awful and there is NO EXCUSE for being where we are right now.
Bingo. Elite talent will carry you vs MTSU, sure.

But it won't to the Pitts and UNC of the world, if were currently losing to MTSU talent gap.

Another interesting article about Cristobal and Herbert.

"The Ducks wasted a lot of what he could have brought to the table.

I believe it was the classic case of trying to fit a quarterback into a system rather than fitting a system to the quarterback."

The fact that people were making this criticism about Marios offense a few years ago and now it looks its happening all over again strongly suggests it isn't a coincidence.

What a haphazard article with no real substance. Yes, Herbert could have been better but this logic of unrealized potential in college is flawed. Are they going to write the same article about Dean Smith since he held MJ to averaging in the teens? At the end of the day, Herbert was a couple hundred yards away from being top 10 passing in the country. They had a really good record and Herbert performed well. Could he have done better in a different scheme? Probably but arguing these hypotheticals is useless. And look at ABrown - he was awful at BC (barely managed 2k yards in a season) yet he had a career year at Oregon.

Advertisement
Make excuses.

The last couple weeks I’ve heard coaches blaming the wr’s , It hasn’t been a secret going back to spring. Then we bench our qb and suddenly it starts leaking out that the wr’s didn’t like him and it’s been his fault. He’s made them look worse than what they are lol. I mean who wouldn’t want to be in this foxhole with this staff, players and fans? It’s all good until you hit rock bottom then we gotta find a scape goat.

We‘ve had fans sliding in to defend the honor of coaches who have suspect resumes when it comes to offense and developing qb’s. Quick to throw a kid under the bus as a “ jag” or “bum”. Fact is I said TVD didn’t look right during the Bcu game and the S Miss game. Constant patting of the ball and choppy feet is a giveaway. I also said this offense was a dramatic change from Rhett. It’s very complicated. Which makes no sense in 2022, when you only get so much time in the class room. **** even the NFL has gone the way of college offenses, making it easier for qb’s to adapt to the pro game. On top of that the game is heavily slanted to the offense.

Yesterday MTSU repeatedly outnumbered Miami in the box by one, two , sometimes three men yet we still ran right into the teeth of the defense. That’s the definition of insanity. We’d rather lose and make a point versus doing the alternative. This offense is fish in a barrel , MTSU had the gun.

I’ve said my piece on playing in space , how it makes the game easier for the qb’s, wr’s, Ol and even the Oc’s calling plays. It makes disguising harder for the defense, it spreads them thin. But we’re way past that argument now.

We’re at the point where Mario evolves like Saban offensively or keeps beating his head in the wall. He’s hard headed as F so I know which way I’m leaning. When you say In the presser “ they had us outnumbered most plays , but we couldn’t block them up“ tells you everything. He’s talking execution when they had a one or two body advantage. That’s just stupid and something a caveman would say. You ever heard of “ work smarter , not harder?

I‘ve said for awhile If they aren’t tailoring this O to Tvd’s skill set they need to just go to Garcia. This scheme is more fitting for him. Just like I did with King and TVD last year. It looks like we’ve gotten the answer on that. Sadly it took four games to come to that conclusion.

This staff is being paid too much to put that product on the field , there’s no excuses. Hopefully everyone is doing some self evaluation. Maybe spend more time doing that than throwing players and teammates under the bus. Only the people in the locker room can fix this. There’s only two ways this thing can go.
Any truth to the rumor the offense is being tweaked to be better fit our talent and some what resemble what we had last year?

Can’t really call a coach a QB killer when his QB got drafted top 10 in the draft. Now the development of WIdeouts is a different story.
This; & my concern, which I posted, is that only one WR have been drafted under Mario. That WR is no longer in the NFL & was drafted in the 7th round.

Then I know they had some transfers at that position while at UO.

Herbert‘s stats were fine but if you watched all their games he wasn’t close to the same guy as the NFL. He didn’t look like the number one pick in the draft, **** there was a good amount of people that said the Chargers reached on him at 6. I saw some scouts that said he’s a second or third rounder. You’re also using his Fr and Soph years stats versus his Jr and Sr year. Majority qb’s are better as Sr’s versus their Fr years, so that’s not a surprise he played better after staring 3-4 years. Ask a Oregon fan about Mario’s offenses and you won’t like the answers. Justin should’ve been airing the ball out and putting up insane numbers , he was a generational talent and it was obvious by after his Jr year. Mario did less with more.

Mario is not an X /O guy or Qb coach, never has been. He’s an Ol coach that wants to be physical and run the ball. That’s his deal. Meat and potatoes type.

There’s a reason he had issues hiring Oc’s and landing wr’s in the portal. There’s a narrative and it’s no secret. Let’s just keep it real.

Hopefully this year wakes him up and he changes things.
Came in to say this and he did alot of his damage against scrub *** defenses in the pac 12 or the other group of 5 schools out west which PSU displayed for you @Rellyrell.

I would watch Oregon pretty solidly because i just knew Mario would be our hc from 2 years b4 at least....AND.....that was the gag i got from watching it...he made me think that kid was mid throwing the ball smh. Throwin check downs and crosses...basically....the same sh*t we seeing now in this offense that is making tvd look....well mid...or below.

Advertisement
Any truth to the rumor the offense is being tweaked to be better fit our talent and some what resemble what we had last year?
Nice time to decide that. That sh*t should have been ironed out before the season. Who tf waits till the 4th game, before implementing an offensive scheme that fits your current players??

Came in to say this and he did alot of his damage against scrub *** defenses in the pac 12 or the other group of 5 schools out west which PSU displayed for you @Rellyrell.

I would watch Oregon pretty solidly because i just knew Mario would be our hc from 2 years b4 at least....AND.....that was the gag i got from watching it...he made me think that kid was mid throwing the ball smh. Throwin check downs and crosses...basically....the same sh*t we seeing now in this offense that is making tvd look....well mid...or below.
My rebuttal have been thoroughly detailed. Lol.

Advertisement
This; & my concern, which I posted, is that only one WR have been drafted under Mario. That WR is no longer in the NFL & was drafted in the 7th round.

Then I know they had some transfers at that position while at UO.
That is something that always caught my attention because even USC being down, they still putting WR in the league. **** AZ ST recruited and development WR better than Oregon.

Last edited:
Advertisement
It seems like as soon as Jeff came in the game the offense changed from a schematic standpoint. Like they went with a little more of downfield passing game keeping more with last year's offense because maybe Jeff has not had enough reps in the new offense. Am I wrong here? I'm no coach but I'm really good at common sense
When you are down as much as we were of course we opened up the passing game but to little to late and 10 of 19 ain't great. ITS a SUCKO SYSTEM!

If the argument is he improved his sophomore year to junior year and again senior year, why isn't the argument ALSO he improved a lot entering the NFL? And why isn't the argument that he went from having zero real threats at Oregon to having Keenan Allen, Mike Williams, and Austin Ekeler.... Only thing Chargers are missing is an absolute burner. He walked into a good situation with the Chargers for sure. Plus his rookie year Herbert was 4th in Passing attempts but 25th in Intended Air Yards/Attempt - he had the 4th most YAC yards though. 14th in TD%, 15th in Adjusted Net Yards/attempt with 6.84 (Rodgers and Mahomes were 8.89 and 8.33 respectively to lead the league). He was 18th in On target% and 12th in Bad Throw%. I feel like people are acting like Herbert was elite as a rookie or something when he wasn't. He was good - which relative for a Rookie QB is great. My point in that is it's not like Herbert was airing it out like crazy with the Chargers either.

And sure they could have aired it out more at Oregon with Herbert, but he was still 18th in the nation in pass attempts. 17th in Adjusted Y/A (10th in P5), and 11th in Passing TDs - Maybe he just didn't really have great deep threats.... Plus they went 12-2 with a Conference Championship and finished top 5. I mean what exactly are we saying we NEED from Mario here? If we can get those stats AND dominate running the ball like Mario wants to do, I don't see the issue.

What yall fail to realizwe or ask yourself .....WHY he had zero real threats at Oregon when the west coast was wide open...usc down...and him being an elite recruiter. Why dont threats out wide line up to play for him...ill hang up and listen?.

OREGON was the top dog out west for a number of years...whats the excuse?.

UM had the #26 offense in CFB in 2020 and averaged more than 34 PPG with D'Eriq King at QB.
UM had the #23 offense in CFB in 2021 and averaged more 34 PPG for the 2nd year in a row mostly with TVD at QB. So that's two different QBs with vastly different styles and yet UM nearly had a top 25 offense for consecutive years.

In 2020, UM's top 4 leading receivers were Harley, Brevin Jordan, Mark Pope, and Dee Wiggins. Of all those players, only Jordan was drafted, in the 5th round (he barely sees the field). In 2020, Jordan also missed 3 games and wasn't healthy a good part of the season. Harley was a marginally talented WR but reliable. He ended up as a UDFA (not sure if is still on a roster). Both Pope and Wiggins later transferred and they currently barely play at their respective schools. That's pretty much a bunch of JAGs catching the ball yet it was still near top 25.

In 2021, UM's top 4 leading receivers were Rambo, Harley, Mallory, and K. Smith. Manny Diaz went into the portal to get Rambo because he knew the WR corps was so weak. Harley, as previously mentioned, was a UDFA and as far as I'm aware, he hasn't played a NFL snap. Both Mallory and K. Smith are still on the roster. Outside of Rambo, again a bunch of JAGs.

So how is that Manny Diaz managed to squeeze out near top 25 production for consecutive years from a group of marginally talented pass catchers and with two different QBs, but Mario Cristobal with an even more experienced OL and two experienced QBs on the roster, can't even manage 23 PPG (which is being generous, and is considerably inflated because of blowing up BCU)? You honestly believe there has been a gigantic dropoff in talent at TE/WR since between 2021 and 2022? We had JAGs then, we have JAGs now, the difference is that we had coaches that somehow managed to get far more out of the marginal pass catching talent on the team.

give-up-quit.gif

@Rellyrell @calinative umstudent Its a wrap after this post

I knew something was off about this post; I let it breathe for a minute, but u can thank @TimeBum for posting that Fishduck article.

I think what we have going on here is what’s called confirmation biased. U’re telling a story, but u’re not telling the full story, just like that Fishduck article.

U brought up Herbert’s Sr yr, which is great; however Mario had Justin for his Jr & Sr yr, & I noticed u left that part out.

For reference, since Timebum posted the Fishduck article, it mentioned Herbert’s sophomore yr before Mario stating, w/o facts, that Mario ruined him. OK, what do the in depth stats say:

Justin’s Sophomore Yr (2017):
-He threw the ball 30+ times in 3 of the 8 games he played. (37.5%)*
*This included Mario’s 1st game as interim coach in the LV bowl

-He threw the ball 28+ times in 4 of the 8 games he played (50%)*

-The defenses he faced were ranked as follows:
So. Utah (FCS Total Def 91st / 116th Passing Def)
OrSt (120th Total Def / 83rd Passing Def)
Arizona (118th Total Def / 123rd Passing Def)
ASU (108th Total Def / 120th Passing Def
Nebraska (100th Total Def / 60th Passing Def)
Cal (95th Total Def / 112th Passing Def)
Wyoming (23rd Total Def / 13th Passing Def)
Boise St (22nd Total Def / 49th Passing Def)

So the two best defenses he faced were G5 opponents.

-He played one top 25 opponent, BSU in the LV Bowl Game

Yet:
-He only threw for 2+ TDs in 4 of the 8 games he played*

-3 of those games came against NU, ASU, OrSt, w/ the 4th coming against Boise St (the game Mario coached)

-He threw for 250+ in 5 of the 8 games (62.5%)

-UO’s Passing O ranked 94th

-UO’s Passing/Completion ranked 77th

By comparison Herbert’s Junior yr (2018):
-He threw the ball 30+ times in 9 of the 13 games played (69%) including career high’s 40+ times in back to back games.

-The Defenses he faced were as follows:
Portland St (82nd FCS Total Def / 74th Passing Def)
OrSt (128th Total Def / 101st Passing Def)
SJSt (125th Total Def / 126th Passing Def)
BGBU (106th Total Def / 6th Passing Def)
UCLA (102nd Total Def / 88th Passing Def)
Arizona (92nd Total Def / 120th Passing Def)
Stanford (78th Total Def / 114th Passing Def)
ASU (73rd Total Def / 71st Passing Def)
WASU (42nd Total Def / 56th Passing Def)
Cal (15th Total Def / 9th Passing Def)
Utah (14th Total Def / 53rd Passing Def)
Washington (12th Total Def / 25th Passing Def)
MSU (10th Total Def / 62nd Passing Def)

-He played four Top 25 opponents (all P5)

So despite playing a better schedule, against tougher defenses, Herbert did this w/ Mario:
-He threw for 2+ TDs in 9 of his 13 games played (3 of those games came against the 42nd, 15th, & 14th ranked defenses)

-He threw for 250+ in 8 of the 13 games played (61.5%)

-UO’s Passing O ranked 49th

-UO’s Passing/Completion ranked 37th

Now, what does tell me? Absolutely nothing except Mario did not “ruin” Herbert. That fishduck article was not & did not tell the whole story. The only thing I can & will say is that Mario, knowing what he had in Herbert, could’ve & should’ve used him more extensively his Sr yr. He did not get every ounce out of him that he could, & left a lot on the table to exploit. Regardless it’s a moot point, b/c when Herbert was tossing the rock his Jr Yr, they went 9-4. When the offense became more balanced, Herbert’s overall numbers increased, and the team went 12-2, so what r we really arguing here?
The two bolded parts of your paragraph that i bolded is your exact answer to your question.

Advertisement
Back