Tears The Old Lady

thereds

LETS GO CANES
Just watched a movie called Black Sunday from 1977, last part was about the super bowl at the Orange Bowl. Jo Robbie makes a cameo appearance.
E8869D5F-AA62-4F9F-9972-1119A0AE9DA1.jpeg
F7BCD667-A793-424D-9017-FF893251C5F9.jpeg
92EB8695-B1D5-4FF4-AB77-B6861EE786F1.jpeg

Attachments

• C210FF3F-7478-4F7F-867F-7EEC7C9239CE.png
    C210FF3F-7478-4F7F-867F-7EEC7C9239CE.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 63
  • 972EA6C4-AC81-4FED-A1A3-261766510E09.png
    972EA6C4-AC81-4FED-A1A3-261766510E09.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
In 8th grade I attended Citrus Grove Junior High School. At that time they had started construction of a new building on the PE field. They would bus us to the Orange Bowl to use the grounds outside the stadium to get our phys ed classes in. Many of the students were used as extras in the stands for that film.

The Old Lady deserved better than to be replaced by that abomination of a baseball stadium.

Advertisement
You know a place was super special when you can beyond vividly remember the first time you walked into it and how glorious that pristine field and open end zone looked when you first saw it coming through the tunnel.

That said, most of us are full of **** or were in a fog or in denial when this all went down with Shalala and the city and whatever the Marleens were doing behind the scenes as I remember the actual collective pushback to the OB's demise being beyond weak sauce.

And it's not what the Shalala apologists will contend in that some compelling case was made that we all knew the needed renovations would be too expensive or "unfairly" burdensome to to the Miami/Dade tax payer. Please. I even remember me and a bunch of friends saying we were definitely gonna go to the pathetic protest to save the OB that like 200 people showed up to. We didn't even do that. I guess we were off wind surfing or scuba diving or whatever myriad of other South Florida recreational activities we use as excuses for not showing up down here.

Sure, it was too late by then and things can obviously seem as corrupt foregone conclusions but all of us of a certain age or older should feel just a little bit of shame that there wasn't more of an immediate and sustained outcry to at minimum have made the OB's demise a little less easy to have accomplished.

Sorry. End rant. It just should have never gotten to the point maintenance wise and other issue wise to have even allowed for what happened to have happened and the community and alumni should have acted like we cared a little more at the time before we all obviously regretted not.

You know a place was super special when you can beyond vividly remember the first time you walked into it and how glorious that pristine field and open end zone looked when you first saw it coming through the tunnel.

That said, most of us are full of **** or were in a fog or in denial when this all went down with Shalala and the city and whatever the Marleens were doing behind the scenes as I remember the actual collective pushback to the OB's demise being beyond weak sauce.

And it's not what the Shalala apologists will contend in that some compelling case was made that we all knew the needed renovations would be too expensive or "unfairly" burdensome to to the Miami/Dade tax payer. Please. I even remember me and a bunch of friends saying we were definitely gonna go to the pathetic protest to save the OB that like 200 people showed up to. We didn't even do that. I guess we were off wind surfing or scuba diving or whatever myriad of other South Florida recreational activities we use as excuses for not showing up down here.

Sure, it was too late by then and things can obviously seem as corrupt foregone conclusions but all of us of a certain age or older should feel just a little bit of shame that there wasn't more of an immediate and sustained outcry to at minimum have made the OB's demise a little less easy to have accomplished.

Sorry. End rant. It just should have never gotten to the point maintenance wise and other issue wise to have even allowed for what happened to have happened and the community and alumni should have acted like we cared a little more at the time before we all obviously regretted not.
Being owned by the city presented it’s own unique challenges. Even back in the 60’s and 70’s when my father was the OB Stadium Manger, he had constant budgetary battles with the city. Maintenance of the OB was the main reason Robbie gave the 🖕to the city and built his own stadium.

Obviously, when the Phins left, it left a gaping hole in revenue and probably had a lot to do with the OB’s demise.

Tearing down the OB is Donna Shalala’s legacy. When she’s buried and gone decades from now, that’s what she’ll be remembered for

You could not be more wrong.

This was solely on the corrupt Miami politicians who have been doing business this way for decades. Even David Samson has confirmed that.

Advertisement
I miss the stadium for nostalgic reasons, but that rusted hulk needed major upgrades. The bathrooms were homeless encampments with troughs instead of urinals. The place smelled like mold, surprised lung cancer didn't skyrocket after FSU 2000.
The struts and supports needed replacing, you could see cracks and when the place got rocking....it swayed. I could see 5000 people losing their lives because CoM didn't properly reinforce them or redo the stadium properly.

Oh and I miss not having water in 120F heat. Watching my family pass out from exhaustion in it. That was always fun. And I like paying $1 for a cup of ice about 3 oz in size. Oh the mammaries.

💯

I wish people would understand this.

People forget...

There was an ELECTORAL VOTE where the Miami residents approved the use of bonds to pay for Orange Bowl renovations.

There was a CITY OF MIAMI VOTE to award the Orange Bowl renovation contract to Hammes (same company that renovated Lambeau).

There was a CORRUPT EFFORT by David Samson and the Marlins to get the city to break the deal and give the Orange Bowl site to the Marlins, which David Samson admitted and bragged about.

There was a MILLION DOLLAR settlement paid by the City of Miami to Hammes for repudiating the signed contract.

But...yeah...."blame Shalala". She had NOTHING TO DO with any of that corrupt ****, but somehow she is getting blamed for it...

Last edited:
Advertisement

You're not even kidding.

I live in Pennsylvania and didn't get to attend as many games as I wanted, so the first time I walked into the OB, it was like a religious person visiting Vatican City or the Holy Land...was just in awe. Granted, near the end the stadium was not in the best condition, but was still magnificent taking into consideration the games that were played there. Loved the view out the open end of the stadium...such a travesty.

I miss the stadium for nostalgic reasons, but that rusted hulk needed major upgrades. The bathrooms were homeless encampments with troughs instead of urinals. The place smelled like mold, surprised lung cancer didn't skyrocket after FSU 2000.
The struts and supports needed replacing, you could see cracks and when the place got rocking....it swayed. I could see 5000 people losing their lives because CoM didn't properly reinforce them or redo the stadium properly.

Oh and I miss not having water in 120F heat. Watching my family pass out from exhaustion in it. That was always fun. And I like paying $1 for a cup of ice about 3 oz in size. Oh the mammaries.
And ironically, all those things were one of the reasons why it was great to see a game there. Only real football fans showed up there, because the place was such a dump. That’s why it was so loud and wild. There were no trendy folks who just wanted to be seen and were trying to find some sushi. Place had zero amenities, and it was great.

And ironically, all those things were one of the reasons why it was great to see a game there. Only real football fans showed up there, because the place was such a dump. That’s why it was so loud and wild. There were no trendy folks who just wanted to be seen and were trying to find some sushi. Place had zero amenities, and it was great.
well, I like amenities. My soon to be ex-wife liked amenities.

They aren't a bad thing. And plenty of true die hard fans of any team like amenities. It's not cancer, its a ******* stadium.
There were plenty of trendy folks at the games, you didn't see them. I like sushi btw, I still was going to the games without it, because its like gas station sushi...a serious risk.

Advertisement
Back