The OC Candidates Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
My final Sportatorium attendance was for a Van Halen concert right before they hit the stadium gig level. Drank about 3/4 of a Southern Comfort bottle in the parking lot beforehand. Vaguely remember being dragged to my seats by friends and then blacked out till the final encore song which was You Really Got me. Was hurting for days after that. To this day, I've never touched Southern Comfort again.

@Pentagon Cane Saw Earth, Wind, and Fire at the Sunrise Musical Theatre. One of the best concerts I ever attended. Think Kool and the Gang opened? I miss live brass instruments being a part of music.

My final Sportatorium attendance was for a Van Halen concert right before they hit the stadium gig level. Drank about 3/4 of a Southern Comfort bottle in the parking lot beforehand. Vaguely remember being dragged to my seats by friends and then blacked out till the final encore song which was You Really Got me. Was hurting for days after that. To this day, I've never touched Southern Comfort again.

@Pentagon Cane Saw Earth, Wind, and Fire at the Sunrise Musical Theatre. One of the best concerts I ever attended. Think Kool and the Gang opened? I miss live brass instruments being a part of music.
Saw Van Halen in 79 (David Lee Roth) and in 1986 (Sammy Hagar)....no comparison...79 by a mile.

I’d be down with Candle. Mount Union alum tend to find success wherever they land.
Just moved to north canton from portage lakes area,.. I know it’s a long shot but do you know any places canes get together to watch games around here?

Advertisement
Them too....Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Metallica Sucks...(Ride the Lightning was Epic) all I'm saying is they were overrated...
That's fair. I never thought Hetfield was a hood singer but somehow the band made it work somehow. Your list is good though.

Advertisement
12928.jpg

And this is exactly why certain posters mock/question the Rolodex, phone ringing off the hook or we can hire **** near anyone we want commentary…

Because either we aren’t interested in the home run hire folks like @SayWhat are looking for or that hire isn’t interested in us…
Fans don’t seem to grasp the concept that a LOT of assistants don’t want to work for Mario. It’s not a knock against Mario either. He’s a demanding workaholic who expects the same from his staff. Not everyone is built like that. Saban is the same way but his track record and reputation for advancing assistants’ careers can outweigh the negative. Mario hasn’t developed that kind of rep so guys are hesitant to put in a ton of work and possibly end up unemployed In a year or two .

Advertisement
Advertisement
I’d be down with Candle. Mount Union alum tend to find success wherever they land.
He’s not a bad hire at all. In terms of realistic candidates, he’d be in my top 10.

I just think there’s others that are more attainable, more effective at calling plays, and offer a higher ceiling on offense for this program. I don’t think he’s worth obsessing over and negotiating for weeks with.

I like how he adapts to his offensive personnel and looks like he tries to utilize tempo (although the plays per game are all over the place L5-6 years, it’s either top 30 or 70th-80th); but the spacing is meh and he tends to get repetitive at times.

Will say as an OC from 2012-2015, his offenses mostly sat in the 35-44th range in terms of plays per game (one outlier in 2013 at 91st). His offenses during this timeframe never averaged less than 31 ppg, and that was his inaugural year:

2012: 31 ppg
2013: 33 ppg
2014: 35 ppg
2015: 35 ppg

Last edited:
Fans don’t seem to grasp the concept that a LOT of assistants don’t want to work for Mario. It’s not a knock against Mario either. He’s a demanding workaholic who expects the same from his staff. Not everyone is built like that. Saban is the same way but his track record and reputation for advancing assistants’ careers can outweigh the negative. Mario hasn’t developed that kind of rep so guys are hesitant to put in a ton of work and possibly end up unemployed In a year or two .
I know of one guy who interviewed with him last season (and worked with him previously)

He said “Mario will make you want to quit the profession, with how much he grinds”

Since this is a metalhead thread now, my top 5 would be:

Black Sabbath
Iron Maiden
Pantera
Judas Priest
Metallica

*I personally consider Sabbath more of a rock band but by definition they're metal, so they're included here.

**Tool would be just outside the list at #6. Yes, they are a metal band.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back