The OC Candidates Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do you think so?

We're spending close to two million, we shouldn't get a guy whose fanbase wouldn't mind him leaving. Whose not even dominating his weak conference with its top recruiting class almost every year he's been there.

When watching the offense it doesn't exactly look exciting or innovative in any way.

His S&P offensive rankings are pretty mediocre the majority of the time.

There could be worse hires for sure but this isn't really inspiring.

Last edited:
Advertisement
You’re just using a different stat I don’t find particularly useful.

According to F+:

2022 offense was 80th.
2021 was 76.
2020 was 39
19 was 91
18 was 39
17 was 37
16 was 13

His best offense the last 5 years should only be acceptable when he’s breaking in a Fr QB here.
And there’s 3 offenses that should get him fired during that span.

He’s about as bad as it gets. And if we hire him, we’re stuck with him for years.

So you found the statistic that confirmed your bias. Whereas I went to total offense, without knowing what I would find, because, quite frankly, I don’t know **** about Candle, and this is what I found.

There may be other nuances and other statistics, but total offense has always been a benchmark since I’ve started following football. In fact, it’s the most often referenced offensive statistic when comparing team offenses.

Just because you don’t find it useful doesn’t mean it isn’t.

“He’s about as bad as it gets“ shows you have no credibility. Take a seat.

tenor.gif

The play at 4:10 is what we need more of. But on another note who is the OC at mtsu? Lol dialing up those deep plays 😂

Advertisement
We're spending close to two million, we shouldn't get a guy whose fanbase wouldn't mind him leaving. Whose not even dominating his weak conference with its top recruiting class almost every year he's been there.

When watching the offense it doesn't exactly look exciting or innovative in any way.

His S&P offensive rankings are pretty mediocre the majority of the time.

There could be worse hires for sure but this isn't really inspiring.
I’m legit curious so please don’t take it as a flame: do you think if Mario took your list (or any list) of the top 10 OCs in the country and offered them $2mil to coach at Miami they would take it? Why or why not?

I‘d probably rather have Gattis.

Gattis ‘19 offense was Top 25. And his ‘21 offense was Top 10.

So there’s at least some recent success there.

Candle is just too far removed from having a successful offense. And you can’t fire him anytime soon when he comes here and sucks. At this point Mario is going to be married to Candle.

Whereas Gattis could be fired whenever. After one season, two seasons, etc.
You can’t be serious.

Did you even watch games this season? I mean Candle may not be great but dude, think before you speak.

I’m legit curious so please don’t take it as a flame: do you think if Mario took your list (or any list) of the top 10 OCs in the country and offered them $2mil to coach at Miami they would take it? Why or why not?

Mario's a recruiter isn't he? Go recruit one

Advertisement
I think he’d struggle. He had close to that last year as he hired Gattis for $1.8m. He hasn’t closed candle who many here seem to like less than other options. I’d think he could get Frost but who knows. Maybe Frost takes a break.

I think he’d struggle. He had close to that last year as he hired Gattis for $1.8m. He hasn’t closed candle who many here seem to like less than other options. I’d think he could get Frost but who knows. Maybe Frost takes a break.
All I have is speculation, but I wasn’t convinced we would go and snatch up a top flight coordinator either. Lots of people on the board seems to think we can and should do better than a sitting G5 HC but I’m trying to figure out why? Because we can write a big check? We had the same money and more hype last year and landed Gattis…

Last edited:
All I have is speculation, but I wasn’t convinced we would go and snatch up a top flight coordinator either. Lots of people on the board seems to think we can and should do better than a sitting G5 HC but I’m trying to figure out why? Because we can write a big check? We had the same money and more hype last year and landed Gattis…
Yeah, i mean ideally we should be able to but I’m not sold that he can because I think he has philosophical things he wants to do- and he’s had assistants he’s wanted to have on staff - and these high in demand guys have options that an extra 10% might not matter to more than the freedoms to do as they see fit.

Advertisement
Yeah, i mean ideally we should be able to but I’m not sold that he can because I think he has philosophical things he wants to do- and he’s had assistants he’s wanted to have on staff - and these high in demand guys have options that an extra 10% might not matter to more than the freedoms to do as they see fit.

Yeah, but that’s just all speculation. Based on rumor and innuendo. No one actually knows if he’ll say to the new OC, whoever it might be, “run your offense.” In fact, I think that’s what the most likely thing is. You’re not gonna get even your second or third choice if he feels like he’s under Mario’s thumb.

I understand where you’re coming from, but I’ve heard just as often from different sources, and on this site, that he’s open to whatever offense is being brought in.

In the end, maybe he’s stubborn like that, and we’ll find out. I’ll tell you one he’s not going to get - Lincoln Riley, and sometimes I think that’s the only one that people will be happy with.

Yeah, but that’s just all speculation. Based on rumor and innuendo. No one actually knows if he’ll say to the new OC, whoever it might be, “run your offense.” In fact, I think that’s what the most likely thing is. You’re not gonna get even your second or third choice if he feels like he’s under Mario’s thumb.

I understand where you’re coming from, but I’ve heard just as often from different sources, and on this site, that he’s open to whatever offense is being brought in.

In the end, maybe he’s stubborn like that, and we’ll find out. I’ll tell you one he’s not going to get - Lincoln Riley, and sometimes I think that’s the only one that people will be happy with.
He struck out on multiple people last time because they didn’t want to work for him and/or under the conditions at the time. If he’s open to other schemes that’s great but that doesn’t mean that all these other guys will jump now. He has a history, for better or worse. I think he might get Candle but he may be giving Candle more hires this time and Candle may be in a worse spot at Toledo now than he was a year ago. I still don’t think he’s the draw and Miami is the draw that a lot of people on here think right now.

He struck out on multiple people last time because they didn’t want to work for him and/or under the conditions at the time. If he’s open to other schemes that’s great but that doesn’t mean that all these other guys will jump now. He has a history, for better or worse. I think he might get Candle but he may be giving Candle more hires this tome and Candle may be in a worse spot at Toledo now than he was a year ago. I still don’t think he’s the draw and Miami is the draw that a lot of people on here think right now.
Bingo. If there wasn’t more to this than money, why are these the candidates? I think Monken made just north of $2m for UGa and was highest paid in nation - we aren’t far from that. Why can’t we steal a Lebby from Oklahoma or steal Longo from Wisconsin? Why isn’t Garrett Riley our OC since we fired Gattis in November? Tom Herman is taking $750k to coach at FAU. Pick your example

Advertisement
You’re just using a different stat I don’t find particularly useful.

According to F+:

2022 offense was 80th.
2021 was 76.
2020 was 39
19 was 91
18 was 39
17 was 37
16 was 13

His best offense the last 5 years should only be acceptable when he’s breaking in a Fr QB here.
And there’s 3 offenses that should get him fired during that span.

He’s about as bad as it gets. And if we hire him, we’re stuck with him for years.
What is F+? Is it something similar to PFF?

Bingo. If there wasn’t more to this than money, why are these the candidates? I think Monken made just north of $2m for UGa and was highest paid in nation - we aren’t far from that. Why can’t we steal a Lebby from Oklahoma or steal Longo from Wisconsin? Why isn’t Garrett Riley our OC since we fired Gattis in November?
I accept that there were HR issues involved so I’m not faulting them for not hiring someone before their lawyers signed off but Riley is a perfect example. I don’t think Mario pulls him like Dabo did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back