The OC Candidates Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
the 247 board is gold. no one over there is a legit “insider” but there are a couple dudes who aggregate what they see on the internet and pass it along as inside info. similar to the Gator board and Que. people over there really believe they are insiders too.

It's more of a soft, Candle-light dinner, imo.
@Caned Peach
Car Chase Police GIF by MotorTrend

Nuh uh! We don’t do that here. Take some time to think about what you’ve done.

Cartoon Police GIF

Advertisement
Advertisement
I actually really really like Jason Candle the OC circa Logan Woodside. Those 2016-17 offenses were wide open and creative, very McVay-esque. Way different from the zone-read/cut the field in half stuff he ran with Finn last year.

I'll do some more film diving but the little I've watched from BEFORE Candle became HC was very encouraging. Naturally you can't just throw out his body of work since then as head coach/playcaller which has been somewhat pedestrian, but I believe TVD is way closer to Woodside than Finn, and Candle the OC could get a lot out of him.

Assuming all of that is true. And 5 years is a lifetime in college football.

Do you really think it’s 2016 Candle that Mario has watched and is interested in?

Not even the worst of it. Learning to check outside the bubble. Stayin full mope. Confidence in Mario is null.
Well, I’m not the expert so I rely on the knowledgeable posters here and it sounds like a number of posters on here put Candle at the bottom of the group talked about - Frost, Mullen, Litrell…

Is what it is I guess. Whoever it is, I’m sure it’ll be better than Gattis though that’s a terribly low bar.

Advertisement
Great question. I'm guessing it's more his ability to change gears and adapt to his personnel that he likes.

But when is the last time he did that to any degree of success?

He has basically become this heavy run, bunch formation, slog along offense the last 5 to 6 years, to moderate to no offensive success.

And that’s the sample size that Mario has looked at.

Well, I’m not the expert so I rely on the knowledgeable posters here and it sounds like a number of posters on here put Candle at the bottom of the group talked about - Frost, Mullen, Litrell…

Is what it is I guess. Whoever it is, I’m sure it’ll be better than Gattis though that’s a terribly low bar.
RVA that bar is so low it's at ground level.

Advertisement
the 247 board is gold. no one over there is a legit “insider” but there are a couple dudes who aggregate what they see on the internet and pass it along as inside info. similar to the Gator board and Que. people over there really believe they are insiders too.
sounds like most of this board considering gattis was the PSU WR coach right lol

I wouldn’t hate Candle, but when comparing what $1.8mm gets you to the market, I would feel like we should do better

I don't know what he could do at this level, so I have no reason to hate the hire myself either.

I know coaches of any age can do great things, but the most positive thing IMHO is his age. He likely has kids close to the age he's going to be recruiting. He'll be closer to understanding this era of young men than someone older. He should have plenty of energy and is young enough not to be set in his ways because it's the way he's done it for 30 or 40 years. Youthful, enthusiastic, tireless, etc are all things I'd hope for at his age. He shouldn't be jaded either, still full of optimism and vigor.

Still, I just wish for a recognizable name that says, o h ****, they're serious, it's getting real, and man I want to play for that guy. He could be that, but people are going to have to see that, get to know him, etc.

Guess we'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back