The OC Candidates Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
No idea if is Jason Candle, but this is what SI said about him when he took over as HC:

“Candle’s offense was consistently one of the best in the MAC, ranking second in the conference in scoring offense (35.3 points per game) this season and third in total offense (463.3 yards per game). The Rockets topped the MAC in both categories last season. Candle is also renowned for his recruiting prowess.”

He is in my top 3 with Kevin Johns and Scott Frost, and that is only because Mullen isn’t coming.
I'd be perfectly fine with the hire, and more importantly...would show every single person on here that Mario is willing to make changes to his offensive approach. We could put his biggest flaw to rest.

I just don't think it'll happen, considering he reportedly inked an extension a week ago. We'll see I guess.

Advertisement
I’m from Toledo and watch the Rockets whenever I can. I think Toledo was #2 in ppg (a smidge behind Ohio U) and #3 in total yards per game. I’m not sure what you mean. I love Candle and he recruits the **** out of Florida.

Toledo F+ Offensive Rankings:

‘22: 80
‘21: 76
‘20: 39
‘19: 91
‘18: 39
‘17: 37
‘16: 13

He’s absolute sh*t.

Advertisement
Toledo F+ Offensive Rankings:

‘22: 80
‘21: 76
‘20: 39
‘19: 91
‘18: 39
‘17: 37
‘16: 13

He’s absolute sh*t.
Absolute sh*t is extremely harsh, and you're looking at it through one lens. Finn (starting QB) was hurt near the back end of the year and they still averaged north of 31 ppg. I wouldn't hold 2022 against him.

Looking at some of the other poor years...2019 certainly raises some eyebrows. But if you look again...they had QB injuries. If your definition of **** is still 27.3 ppg and over 430 ypg with three revolving QB's, then you have very high standards. 27 ppg isn't the bar here, but if that's the floor...considering the scenario above...it's not a low one.

2021 had 33.4 ppg. Not the friendliest on F+...but the name of the game is points scored. 30+ is good enough for me, and over 430 ypg again. Now where he did struggle...3rd down conversion percentage was not friendly. 35% is pretty poor.

Absolute sh*t is extremely harsh, and you're looking at it through one lens. Finn (starting QB) was hurt near the back end of the year and they still averaged north of 31 ppg. I wouldn't hold 2022 against him.

Looking at some of the other poor years...2019 certainly raises some eyebrows. But if you look again...they had QB injuries. If your definition of **** is still 27.3 ppg and over 430 ypg with three revolving QB's, then you have very high standards. 27 ppg isn't the bar here, but if that's the floor...considering the scenario above...it's not a low one.

2021 had 33.4 ppg. Not the friendliest on F+...but the name of the game is points scored. 30+ is good enough for me, and over 430 ypg again.

You’re not putting it in the **** context that is the MAC and MAC defenses. Horrible offenses would average 30+ a game.

Advertisement
You’re not putting it in the **** context that is the MAC and MAC defenses. Horrible offenses would average 30+ a game.
That's fair, like I said I'd be fine with the hire but it wouldn't be my #1, #2 or #3 if I had my pick of the litter. Truth is, we don't know the entire list of candidates.

This is all hypothetical because again, he did reportedly sign an extension. But we could do a lot worse.

Have a hard time believing it's Candle because of his new contract. Nonetheless, I read his buyout from the new 2023 contract is *only* $750K and decreases by $100K each succeeding year.

And they just had a 9 win season and finished first in their division. Only thing that makes it even remotely plausible is that his new deal is for 1.1 mil per year before incentives through 2026. He could probably double his salary to be UM OC, but I can't see a HC voluntarily leaving a relatively successful G5 program to be an OC unless he knew a shoe was about to drop.

It's unlikely that he'd improve his chances of getting a P5 HC offer in the future by taking what most would perceive as a demotion to OC at another program. It would be unprecedented in cfb.

Advertisement
And they just had a 9 win season and finished first in their division. Only thing that makes it even remotely plausible is that his new deal is for 1.1 mil per year before incentives through 2026. He could probably double his salary to be UM OC, but I can't see a HC voluntarily leaving a relatively successful G5 program to be an OC unless he knew a shoe was about to drop.

It's unlikely that he'd improve his chances of getting a P5 HC offer in the future by taking what most would perceive as a demotion to OC at another program. It would be unprecedented.
Sean Lewis just did it at Kent St. Left to become the OC at Colorado after turning around the Golden Flashes and leading them to the MAC Champ game in 2021.

Two from the same conference in the same year would be pretty unprecedented, however.

Screenshot 2023-02-01 at 10.00.03 PM.png

Some of the details of Candle's new contract.

Advertisement
I'd be perfectly fine with the hire, and more importantly...would show every single person on here that Mario is willing to make changes to his offensive approach. We could put his biggest flaw to rest.

I just don't think it'll happen, considering he reportedly inked an extension a week ago. We'll see I guess.
But him trying to hire him last time already showed that. Its a media and CIS narrative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back