The OC Candidates Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement

I tried to tell you guys for months Gattis wasn’t one of Mario’s top 5 options

It's so hard to assess, because I think things were "fluid".

I definitely don't think Gattis was Top 5 initially. But I'm also not sure how "realistic" certain Top 5 guys (like Dorsey) actually were.

It's in the past. We ****ed up, even if Gattis was Top 2. Doesn't matter, he was a bad decision, regardless of reason.

This is the take away. IF it's true Cristobal spoke with Candle and Hartline, shouldn't that kill some of the "Mario only likes bro-ffense, bro" talk ?
Only way that stigma goes away is if he actually does hire someone with a more fast-paced, downfield attack and then stays hands off. But to date he hasn't really shown he's willing to do that.

Advertisement
I don’t know who Mario has pursued and who if any have turn him down. However, Candle and/or Hartline are very bad examples to try and make that correlation. You’re asking one to take a demotion and leave the area he’s been in most of his life while asking the other to make a lateral move from his dream job.

In a sense, it’s like saying Bama is unattractive because Mario turned down their OC/OL offer or when Saban retires if they offer Mario and he stays home (I know these are not exactly alike)

Bama wasn’t gonna pay an OC $3mm

So the pitch from Bama and Saban wasn’t nearly as strong to a guy already making $2mm with modest expectations and a good relationship with his HC

Advertisement
Advertisement
This is the take away. IF it's true Cristobal spoke with Candle and Hartline, shouldn't that kill some of the "Mario only likes bro-ffense, bro" talk ?
Agreed. There are a lot of folks here that think Mario is a caveman. Yet, the fact he's apparently targeting younger OCs (Candle is 43; Hartline is 36; Gattis is 39) suggest to me he's open to more modern philosophies.

We won't hire Leonard lmao, a) would it be a step back for him and b) schematically, everything would be changed from top to bottom. He would want to install all of the assistants he wants to have to get the change done as smoothly as possible.
I mean I know - we don’t even have an opening. Just purely throwing a thought out for discussion. But disagree with it being a step backward because all he’s been is a DC and interim HC and he is currently unemployed. I could see him waiting it out for a HC gig or DB coach position in NFL though.

Advertisement
Just listened in. God I’m desperate!! Mario better hire someone quick before I listen to a SMD and Barry Jackson podcast

you might as well listen to an audiobook read by Gary Ferman and complete the trilogy of garbage

These are tough times my dude

you might as well listen to an audiobook read by Gary Ferman and complete the trilogy of garbage

These are tough times my dude
Ferman is posting some ground breaking comments today "Mario would be smart to monitor Saban, see who he is talking to and get a feel for the market". **** ... Mario has known for 2 months they would be making a new hire ... and NOW he should start looking at Saban and get a feel for the market?. Some of his comments are senseless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back