The OC Candidates Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not that it matters a ton, but Littrell has an attribute that few other coaches can say, that matches Mario and his background

Both played for top 20 football programs and won a championship…. Littrell was team captain on the 2000 Oklahoma team that win the natty
Of course with the proviso that his win was only because Miami was cheated out of the game.

Advertisement
These situations are very fluid. So many fluids…

The question isn't whether Frost is an alcoholic or not. Its whether he's a functional alcoholic or not . If it's the former, then sign him up. Half the people I knew in the Marines were functional alcoholics and they were still pretty good at their jobs.

This comment assumes that the decision to fire Gattis was not made months ago. I disagree. I believe that Mario told him to look for a job a long time ago--and I think Gattis couldn't (or refused) to find job. Mario was then forced to fire him.

You have to be willfully ignorant to believe that Mario wasn't already looking before he officially fired Gattis.
At no point did I say the decision to fire Gattis wasn't already made. I said it's likely Mario hasn't had formal interviews yet (as opposed to behind the scenes conversations). My question was at what point is Mario taking 'too long'? I'm assuming Mario has been having behind the scenes conversations, but I also am giving him a week from firing to go through formal vetting processes before expecting a new body in the role.

I'm honestly curious, at what point did Mario take too long to backfill the OC role for you?

The question isn't whether Frost is an alcoholic or not. Its whether he's a functional alcoholic or not . If it's the former, then sign him up. Half the people I knew in the Marines were functional alcoholics and they were still pretty good at their jobs.

If our offense puts up 50 🍔s, he can wash that down with all the Frosty mugs he wants.

Advertisement
I am not trying to prove or disprove, I am just saying that in '16 and '17, they were giving up 11ppg. They are now at 21ppg. Numbers don't lie, offense quick striking is most certainly going to press your defense more.
Again, I am all for the quick strike offense coming to Miami, but to say it has no effect on your D is just BS. Even with the elite of elite defenders like Bama gets, they are up 10ppg since they started striking faster.
This has nothing to do with Bamas passing and everything to do with rules and teams attacking Bama as spread out as you can attack them. Tennessee and Texas Tech were prime examples being used to demonstrate that their type of offense has not had bad effects on defense - if anything, they outperformed.

Throwing the ball has no effect on how you play defense. The type of offense has no effect on how you play defense. There are other driving factors that were already mentioned.

I was watching a Bucs game this season and a stat they used to analyze offensive production was Points Per Minute. The goals is 1 PPM. If TOS was 35 minutes, they wanted 35 points. A lower PPM indicates inefficiency and a higher PPM reveals explosive plays that lead to points, like a 2-3 minute drive for a TD.
That's a weird stat though. Points per play is a more direct way to capture that efficiency. I'm not sure why you'd use PPM over PPP

Advertisement
Seems like the only way we’ll know who’s even in contention is if a major reporter breaks the news or someone is spotted at the airport

Hiring process is under wraps along with being dumb, slow, and ridiculous

I don’t care if a Coach is railing Coke in the middle of his interview & Freebases 2C-B up in the booth while calling plays.

If he can design a good aggressive Offense, understands the nuances of situational play calling & puts up points, hire him.

And that’s not specific to Frosty, it could be anybody, idgaf about having a Team with coaches & players that are choir boys, just produce results.

Advertisement
I've already explained what drives TOP.

I’ll take that as a yes, you’re serious.

I’m glad that I missed your explanation for what drives TOP.

For your own sake, I hope you included first downs in your what drives TOP synopsis.

A lot of craft breweries make NA beers

I hope this helps

@scottfrost

I don’t care if a Coach is railing Coke in the middle of his interview & Freebases 2C-B up in the booth while calling plays.

If he can design a good aggressive Offense, understands the nuances of situational play calling & puts up points, hire him.

And that’s not specific to Frosty, it could be anybody, idgaf about having a Team with coaches & players that are choir boys, just produce results.
denzel washington GIF

Advertisement
I’ll take that as a yes, you’re serious.

I’m glad that I missed your explanation for what drives TOP.

For your own sake, I hope you included first downs in your what drives TOP synopsis.
Post in thread 'The OC Candidates Thread' https://www.canesinsight.com/threads/the-oc-candidates-thread.181217/post-6417499

Just read it. Its a fully correct statement on TOP. Any attempts on this trying to form the quick passing game into a negatively attributing factor for your own defense are not true and backed up by numerous examples that I have mentioned in this thread.

Teams get more points these days on defense because they are trying to defend new age offenses with the same bullcrap that they are running for numerous years. There is a reason why I strongly advocate Miami to jump the train for the broken stack, because thats how you defend modern offenses without the need for having simply supreme talent, but eh... that won't ever happen here.

Under that scenario, it would definitely be an aggressive offense but would most certainly struggle with situational play

chris farley entrance GIF

That's a weird stat though. Points per play is a more direct way to capture that efficiency. I'm not sure why you'd use PPM over PPP

It's weird because it doesn't actually measure anything.

If you're a team that goes crazy fast and throws the ball all the time you can have 10 possessions in 14 minutes. If you score two TD's you're at 1 PPM. But you punted on 8 possessions. If the other team took the remaining 45 minutes and scored 5 TDs they would be at a PPM that's much lower than you but they beat you 35-14. It doesn't measure efficiency at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back