Official The OC Candidates Thread 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks but there’s gotta be someone in the know that may anonymously leak ish.

Advertisement
If it’s Applewhite after all this time it’s an F- hire due to the process on how he got there. Doesn’t mean Apllewhite can’t do better than we anticipate and work himself up to a C or better in the future but right now it sucks diarrhea ***
Nov. 27th Applewhute could have been hired. Waiting 3 months for that would be worse than butt chugging anthrax.

Advertisement
Appreciate that data point. Are you comfortable sharing any more details about the Assistant AD that might help me put the assessment in context more? Has he/she ever had overlapping tenure somewhere with MA? Does your friend's job scope encompass being involved in coach hiring/vetting processes at all? Career suicide is a very dramatic assessment.

I'll share a data point going in the opposite direction: I had a phone call yesterday with a buddy who goes all the way back to high school football days with me and is now on Tom Herman's staff at FAU. Herman is pretty uniquely situated to assess MA I think for obvious reasons so I was quite interested to hear if there was any insight that could be passed on since MA's name was popping up here. Herman in fact had talked about MA casually after a meeting this weekend and my buddy shared those thoughts. I'll preface it by saying my buddy is a slight hater of the U and rarely misses an opportunity to discuss any breaking bad news for us (like cormani flipping for example). So I was pleasantly surprised when he broke the pattern and relayed that the opinion over there in boca is that MA is an excellent coach and would be a difference making hire for us if it happened.

You know how I feel about your input, and I value what you are saying. I'm not as high on Applewhite, but it's nice to know there is some RECENT positivity. I've shared with you that I hope a few other guys get a shot first, so I'm not trying to pinpoint certain other guys with premature negativity.

I'm more bothered with the process that would result in this outcome. I truly respect Mario, but I'm also troubled by a couple of pattern-type things.

And believe me, I think that both you and @JayCane20 are two of the most knowledgeable and connected posters we have, so it's just hard to juggle such disparate viewpoints from two incredibly smart guys.

I honestly don’t think it’s that bad of hire either...we are not winning a championship in the next 2 years but applewhite can give us a top 30ish offense and help us win 9-10 games and help Mario evaluate some good Qbs…just my opinion

A top 30 offense and a top 30 defense from Guidry and Mario's recruiting and this org will be in **** good shape pretty soon.

Advertisement
I honestly don’t think it’s that bad of hire either...we are not winning a championship in the next 2 years but applewhite can give us a top 30ish offense and help us win 9-10 games and help Mario evaluate some good Qbs…just my opinion
Agree, we just need someone stable who can give us a productive enough offense the next 2-3 years while we recruit and flip the roster. I'm hoping it's someone whose an ace recruiter, we're not winning a natty anytime soon. We need someone who can showcase to recruits that you can eat in this offense if you're a WR. If we can do that then by year 4 or 5 Mario can go out and hand pick any OC he wants because the roster will be loaded.

In my view, the one caveat is Mario hasn’t even formally announced the Guidry hire. Why? I have absolutely no idea other than:

A) too busy with the OC search and other offensive coaches
B) wants to announce both coordinators at the same time.

If we don’t hear something today, something is terribly wrong.
Guidry is 100% done deal hired the "i"s have been dotted t's crossed.

Advertisement
I don't care what it takes.

Offer Kevin Johns $4M per year. Do whatever it takes to make him cry if/when he says "no".

Get it done, Mario. Remember, I'm the guy who started a post calling for UM to pay you $10M per year...and I made that post in September 2021...so, yeah, I'm willing to go 25% to the high side for quality.

I know you and the Hecht staff are reading this...

Well, respectfully, paying a guy way above his typical market value would not be my way of going about it. You do have a budget even if it has grown exponentially, but you don't want your salary structure to be so out of whack that you end up overpaying all your coaches to keep it in line. That would make us more like the UF collective who overpay recruits to save face and instead end up having egg on it.

Applewhite wouldn't be that bad. It's a C- hire but that's mainly due to name. The biggest thing I want to know is what happened to the guy? He goes 8-4 as HC the year Deriq King has 50TDs while Houston has one of the most explosive offenses in college football and gets fired, after that the best job he could get for the next couple of years is OC at South Alabama? Definitely seems like something happened behind the scenes
That wasn’t his Offense, Kendal Briles was the OC when King had has 50TD season at Houston.

Advertisement
Well, respectfully, paying a guy way above his typical market value would not be my way of going about it. You do have a budget even if it has grown exponentially, but you don't want your salary structure to be so out of whack that you end up overpaying all your coaches to keep it in line. That would make us more like the UF collective who overpay recruits to save face and instead end up having egg on it.

Stop. Has nothing to do with salary structure. This is about conveying to someone "hey, we are serious about you, we are committing resources, there was a reason we got rid of Gattis, you are no Gattis, we will do whatever it takes to communicate the sincerity of our interest in you".

There's no coaching salary cap. Pay Johns enough money for him to seriously consider leaving Duke.

You know how I feel about your input, and I value what you are saying. I'm not as high on Applewhite, but it's nice to know there is some RECENT positivity. I've shared with you that I hope a few other guys get a shot first, so I'm not trying to pinpoint certain other guys with premature negativity.

I'm more bothered with the process that would result in this outcome. I truly respect Mario, but I'm also troubled by a couple of pattern-type things.

And believe me, I think that both you and @JayCane20 are two of the most knowledgeable and connected posters we have, so it's just hard to juggle such disparate viewpoints from two incredibly smart guys.
Appreciate that buddy. To be transparent I actually have no strongly held opinion on applewhite right now. Am truly trying to understand different viewpoints on him so I can have some kind of somewhat informed opinion of my own on it if he ends up being the guy. The assessment out of boca carried a lot of weight with me and frankly was a big surprise to hear such positivity about something we may be doing coming from him. But I'm not comfortable resting my own assessment fully on what came out of boca. The career suicide take is worrisome.

Only way we’d be like UF’s collective is if we agreed to pay Corey Raymond way more than what he’s worth to lure him away from UF and then once he publicly said he’d leave we said, actuallyyyy, we are cancelling that contract but we’ll pay you way less than you agreed to because we cant afford that other number

Yes on field.. bad hire.

I sent the tweet saying Mario was interviewing Applewhite to an SEC Assistant AD and he essentially said that would be an awful and lazy hire and probably career suicide for Mario. He’s known Radakovich for 20 years as well and said he doubts Dan would let that happen even if Mario wanted to hire Applewhite.

Schools that brag about spending money on top assistants and paying a coach nearly $100M over 10 years and drop >$150M on facilities, spend like we do in NIL, etc don’t go out and hire 2 sun belt coordinators. That’s the expectation of what Miami does in 2019. The expectation now is taking a successful P5 coordinator (even if it’s already went wrong once before)
Honestly I don't care if he's a G5 or P5 coordinator, just got out and find someone whose hungry, can recruit and will run an effective offense.. I could careless about a **** hire in name, we hired a literal broyles award winner and he came here and was the worst OC in program history

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back