Official The OC Candidates Thread 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
an awful and lazy hire if that was his first guy. It seems like Applewhite (if interviewed for OC) might be a Plan C or D for all we know. Unfortunately, Miami expectations even after the transition last year is no better perception wise than 2019. That will take a little time to get over. A lower division up and comer might risk it. A currently employed P5 OC might not.
My theory (wishful thinking/hoping) is that Applewhite interviewed to coach QBs for some other coordinator.

Advertisement
an awful and lazy hire if that was his first guy. It seems like Applewhite (if interviewed for OC) might be a Plan C or D for all we know. Unfortunately, Miami expectations even after the transition last year is no better perception wise than 2019. That will take a little time to get over. A lower division up and comer might risk it. A currently employed P5 OC might not.

I don't care what it takes.

Offer Kevin Johns $4M per year. Do whatever it takes to make him cry if/when he says "no".

Get it done, Mario. Remember, I'm the guy who started a post calling for UM to pay you $10M per year...and I made that post in September 2021...so, yeah, I'm willing to go 25% to the high side for quality.

I know you and the Hecht staff are reading this...

Did the cited cause for the Gattis firing ever surface?
misread the post. the cited cause DID surface but it has not been confirmed by any official sauces (except me and a few others on here)

not to my knowledge, and it won't because it is an internal, HR private university matter, unless of course Gattis sues the university, which would not surprise me.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I have my idea of the reason why we are where we are. Mario, IMHO, has two BIG faults:

A) Even if everybody knew Gattis was toasted since November, he started to consider candidates seriously only way after ESD and probably not even before NSD.
B) He is stuck with his first option and unless he receives a firm "NO" he won't back down (we all know who he is at this point).

The explanation? Mario is obsessed with recruiting players and coaches, he probably uses the same pitbull-ish approach. Points A) and B) can be explained with this facet of his character: he delayed the hiring process because of the recruiting calendar and he's willing to recruit his first option since the end of times (Do you remember that Mario has to be convinced by his staff to let go the Cormani situation even after all that circus?).

This leads me to the "strange" interview calendar that came out late last week and this weekend: nothing transpired for weeks (months) and all of the sudden we know who's interviewing and when. Why? Maybe because the REAL interview process started late last week and stretched out during the weekend.

Two weeks ago many respected insiders thought that we were close to a done deal with the first option, then nothing happened and the week after that we started to hear about the interviews. Why? Two options and both could be true at the same time: Mario is covering his bases waiting for the first option's decision and he's interviewing for potential assistant/analyst jobs.

If I'm right, which I don't know and probably not, this won't be over quickly and I believe another round of interviews will take place this week unless the above-mentioned first option says "I'm in".
In my view, the one caveat is Mario hasn’t even formally announced the Guidry hire. Why? I have absolutely no idea other than:

A) too busy with the OC search and other offensive coaches
B) wants to announce both coordinators at the same time.

If we don’t hear something today, something is terribly wrong.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Yes on field.. bad hire.

I sent the tweet saying Mario was interviewing Applewhite to an SEC Assistant AD and he essentially said that would be an awful and lazy hire and probably career suicide for Mario. He’s known Radakovich for 20 years as well and said he doubts Dan would let that happen even if Mario wanted to hire Applewhite.

Schools that brag about spending money on top assistants and paying a coach nearly $100M over 10 years and drop >$150M on facilities, spend like we do in NIL, etc don’t go out and hire 2 sun belt coordinators. That’s the expectation of what Miami does in 2019. The expectation now is taking a successful P5 coordinator (even if it’s already went wrong once before)
Appreciate that data point. Are you comfortable sharing any more details about the Assistant AD that might help me put the assessment in context more? Has he/she ever had overlapping tenure somewhere with MA? Does your friend's job scope encompass being involved in coach hiring/vetting processes at all? Career suicide is a very dramatic assessment.

I'll share a data point going in the opposite direction: I had a phone call yesterday with a buddy who goes all the way back to high school football days with me and is now on Tom Herman's staff at FAU. Herman is pretty uniquely situated to assess MA I think for obvious reasons so I was quite interested to hear if there was any insight that could be passed on since MA's name was popping up here. Herman in fact had talked about MA casually after a meeting this weekend and my buddy shared those thoughts. I'll preface it by saying my buddy is a slight hater of the U and rarely misses an opportunity to discuss any breaking bad news for us (like cormani flipping for example). So I was pleasantly surprised when he broke the pattern and relayed that the opinion over there in boca is that MA is an excellent coach and would be a difference making hire for us if it happened.

Advertisement
In my view, the one caveat is Mario hasn’t even formally announced the Guidry hire. Why? I have absolutely no idea other than:

A) too busy with the OC search and other offensive coaches
B) wants to announce both coordinators at the same time.

If we don’t hear something today, something is terribly wrong.
Alabama hasn't announce the OC and DC hires yet even if they were reportedly done way before Guidry, it means nothing IMHO.

I don't care what it takes.

Offer Kevin Johns $4M per year. Do whatever it takes to make him cry if/when he says "no".

Get it done, Mario. Remember, I'm the guy who started a post calling for UM to pay you $10M per year...and I made that post in September 2021...so, yeah, I'm willing to go 25% to the high side for quality.

I know you and the Hecht staff are reading this...
I hope he comes through for you breh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back