Official The OC Candidates Thread 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jay, it’s tough keeping up with the almost 300 pages now, you are referring to Applewhite being a bad hire?
Yes on field.. bad hire.

I sent the tweet saying Mario was interviewing Applewhite to an SEC Assistant AD and he essentially said that would be an awful and lazy hire and probably career suicide for Mario. He’s known Radakovich for 20 years as well and said he doubts Dan would let that happen even if Mario wanted to hire Applewhite.

Schools that brag about spending money on top assistants and paying a coach nearly $100M over 10 years and drop >$150M on facilities, spend like we do in NIL, etc don’t go out and hire 2 sun belt coordinators. That’s the expectation of what Miami does in 2019. The expectation now is taking a successful P5 coordinator (even if it’s already went wrong once before)

Advertisement

Dude is still thinking about sausage after watching MAGIC MIKE XL.
channing tatum dancing GIF

Like it or not, it is. Radar graphs are done on a scale where the maximum value is 100, that usually means percentage. Points per game went from 50 to over 90. Is that compared to the conference, FCS, all Division 1?

You can assume improvement because it's unlikely they're comparing the worst teams, but exactly how impressive can't be determined.
percentile rank nationally

Advertisement
Yes on field.. bad hire.

I sent the tweet saying Mario was interviewing Applewhite to an SEC Assistant AD and he essentially said that would be an awful and lazy hire and probably career suicide for Mario. He’s known Radakovich for 20 years as well and said he doubts Dan would let that happen even if Mario wanted to hire Applewhite.

Schools that brag about spending money on top assistants and paying a coach nearly $100M over 10 years and drop >$150M on facilities, spend like we do in NIL, etc don’t go out and hire 2 sun belt coordinators. That’s the expectation of what Miami does in 2019. The expectation now is taking a successful P5 coordinator (even if it’s already went wrong once before)
Not going to argue with you on Applewhite but Guidry just coordinated a top 10 defense in America based on every statistical category out there.

Yes on field.. bad hire.

I can't give enough 100's to this post...

Advertisement
Not going to argue with you on Applewhite but Guidry just coordinated a top 10 defense in America based on every statistical category out there.

Yes, but the question should not be framed as "this G5 hire means we should make other G5 hires". You can easily see a world where Guidry's career trajectory has been slowed by his past issues (11+ years old now) and his son's massive problems.

Furthermore, there has been nearly universal praise of the Guidry hire, not by "paid media" dittoheads, but by his former players and coaches, which is indicative of how connected people feel to him.

I mean, if you think that Applewhite's stats are replicable, and that all of his former players and coaches are going to come out and praise him, then fire away.

Advertisement
Yes on field.. bad hire.

an awful and lazy hire if that was his first guy. It seems like Applewhite (if interviewed for OC) might be a Plan C or D for all we know. Unfortunately, Miami expectations even after the transition last year is no better perception wise than 2019. That will take a little time to get over. A lower division up and comer might risk it. A currently employed P5 OC might not.

Advertisement
I’ve said I love the Guidry hire. Totally fine with that. But the perception of hiring 2 sun belt coordinators.. Applewhite having gone a full coaching carousel without drawing a sliver of interest for any other job out there.. not a good look.

If it’s Applewhite I’d hope we revamp the rest of the staff (if you can actually attract quality coaches that want to coach under him)

The reason, I would hope these guys aren’t just going from making $150-200k as coordinators to more than $1M for no reason. They should be in the $750k range. So by hiring those 2 guys and keeping everything else status quo you’ve essentially taken your staff payroll back to where it was before you announced an increased budget. Back to middle of the pack ACC staff.

If it’s Applewhite you’d better pair him with someone like Hankerson that would be a splash and a great LB coach soon to be DC caliber on defense to balance out.

Some of the best hires come from outside of the P5. Some of the worst from inside. Did we all not learn anything last year? Younger, hungry, super smart, aggressive Coordinators is what I would like. That’s what I would prefer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back