Official The OC Candidates Thread 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m not trying to be a mope or a conspiracy, theorist, but wouldn’t logic dictate that if Mario is still interviewing at this point, it’s because he’s been turned down by multiple candidates?

I mean, he hired a DC in less than a week. Why would this search take two months in comparison? Especially when he allegedly made the decision on Gattis months ago.
Still interviewing does not mean still interviewing for OC. Recent interviews, i.e., Hankerson, possibly even Coley , have been for position coaches. WR etc. UM could have finalized the OC hire earlier in the week and is now finishing some WR coach interviews and even analyst positions.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I’m not trying to be a mope or a conspiracy, theorist, but wouldn’t logic dictate that if Mario is still interviewing at this point, it’s because he’s been turned down by multiple candidates?

I mean, he hired a DC in less than a week. Why would this search take two months in comparison? Especially when he allegedly made the decision on Gattis months ago.
Maybe the interviews are for a position coach ? Just a guess

Still interviewing does not mean still interviewing for OC. Recent interviews, i.e., Hankerson, possibly even Coley , have been for position coaches. WR etc. UM could have finalized the OC hire earlier in the week and is now finishing some WR coach interviews and even analyst positions.

So Mario is potentially still going to take the questionable position of hiring position coaches before the coordinator?

Screenshot_20230212_113513_Twitter.jpg
looks like Johnson will get the eagles OC job

Advertisement
Was the Brian Johnson hint/leak strategic? Hear this out. Thursday night Dennis Smith tweets a picture of Joe's Stone Crab manager - named Brian Johnson. Now it's revealed that Johnson, the African-American Eagles qb coach, will interview for the Ravens OC position. It doesn't appear that Johnson will be heading DOWN to the college ranks. IF TRUE, why the misdirection?

Manny Navarro, fwiw, revealed in an interview with Big O that Charlie Strong apparently was not interviewed for the DC opening, and as reported quickly departed the program. Navarro floated the idea (debatable) that perception of sensitivity to race makeup on the UM staff is a concern for some, particularly the local high school community. Which brings us back to the Johnson 'leak'. Just food for thought.
This is dumb and was already talked about last year

Advertisement

Not that I don't necessarily agree that Mario has likely been turned down, a counter point is why so many candidates would interview for the role and then decline. Unless Mario is saying something completely different to them when he is interviewing them (vs the communications that certainly happen before the interview takes place), I don't think candidates would go through the interview process unless they were ready to accept the job.

There might be a few exceptions to this, but I find it hard to believe that so many would go through all of the pre-interview negotiations, the interview itself and then say 'nah, I am good'. It seems more likely to me that Mario is 1) interviewing several candidates b/c he wants talk to multiple candidates before making a decision and 2) (as others like Cribby have said) not all of these interviews are for the OC position.

Hmmm. Bills lose their OC last year and promote Dorsey to OC. Eagles possibly losing their OC.

I'm so conflicted today.. my Chiefs against the future Miami OC.. tough tough tough.

Advertisement
Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back