Official The OC Candidates Thread 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Yeah, I'm actually hoping that Mario tries to grow his tree a little bigger, rather than turning to only familiar guys like Nuss and Arroyo (and I'd be fine with Coley as a position coach).

I could live with Cramsey, though I have two other guys ahead of him on my list. But I do get the logic.
I believe he did that with Guidry (I am aware he wanted him at FIU but never worked together prior). Geoff Collins would have been a familiar safe pick at DC

He was Mario's last OC at FIU.
I've been speculating on him for a few months. I still think he is in the mix but, of course, it is speculation.
Yeah that would make a lot of sense then.

Liam Coen from McVay/Whipple tree was the ideal candidate for me but I’d take a cramsey over candle

Advertisement
I always thought the Frost stuff was BS anyway. Dude just bought a $5.5M mansion in Scottsdale a month ago. Looks like a guy ready to take a year off.

Coley makes sense but he's just as tight with Jimbo as he is Mario. $500k goes a lot further in College Station than it does in Coral Gables. I've always thought it would take a promotion to get him back here.

I was wondering with the hire of Petrino if that changes the dynamic a bit for Coley. Plus I am not sure how the good the cafecito is at college station.

No idea. Probably should be. He's more experienced than Gattis calling plays and the roster is getting better. But I'll warn you.. if it's Ludwig.. it's gonna look extremely similar to 2022 from a scheme perspective.
I’m just trying to narrow the field any way possible. Hopefully next week this search will be over.

Advertisement
Who was Frost bringing? Mickey Joseph? Or Sonny's son?
Looking at Mickey's bio he would not have been a bad choice if this is true. I am just repeating a rumor about what happened with the Frost possibility. It could be BS.

Looking at Mickey's bio he would not have been a bad choice if this is true. I am just repeating a rumor about what happened with the Frost possibility. It could be BS.

Isn't Joseph dealing with domestic violence stuff? Yeah, good luck getting him into UM.

Advertisement
Listened to the podcast with Alex Mirabal and Josh Darrow last night and he talked about how Mario hires people that he knows and then you hope they work hard for you because they're connected to you and not the program.

Would be shocked to see another hire that doesn't link to Mario personally. His go-to guys on staff were also quoted as being Mirabal, Dennis Smith, Pata, Cody Woodiel, and Juan Navarro. Basically all tying back to FIU days. Guidry tied back to FIU - he was going to hire him right before he got let go and to Dennis Smith as well as they're good friends.

That obviously points to guys like Coley and Arroyo but another one is Tim Cramsey who is at Memphis. A guy from the Chip Kelly tree that has actually done well on his own.
🚩

I always thought the Frost stuff was BS anyway. Dude just bought a $5.5M mansion in Scottsdale a month ago. Looks like a guy ready to take a year off.

Coley makes sense but he's just as tight with Jimbo as he is Mario. $500k goes a lot further in College Station than it does in Coral Gables. I've always thought it would take a promotion to get him back here.
i would think coley would make the jump for a lateral position for a few reasons.. maybe with slight increase in pay...

1. jimbo is a sinking ship.... although mario and jimbo had similar seasons last year, it was year 1 for Mario and year 5 for Jimbo.. his seat is scorching hot if he doesn't start getting into SEC contention this year... Mario has 3+ years minimum at Miami...
2. he's from Miami.. lots of relationships in south florida both for recruiting and personal..
3. wife is a Miami native....

What’s most concerning is the way Mario has treated Candle like he’s a grand slam and worth the effort and aggravation

He’s more like a bloop double that lands just inside the chalk

This process has been nonsense
The process was **** regardless of who the candidate was as it relates specifically to how this Candle situation has unfolded

Advertisement
I think if it was Arroyo it would have been done by now. Maybe he is a plan C or D guy. I think the Coley hold up is if it will be a fit with the new OC. There were rumors that Frost was adamant about bringing his guy for wr coach so is why negotiations fell through. I think Mario values Coley for his recruiting prowess and would certainly help upgrade the wr room with talent.
Only way turning Frost away is acceptable due to his request for WR coach is if he wanted to bring Mickey Joseph with him

That’s what I’ve been saying for a few days
Beck Bennett Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

Cramsey was the OC at FIU for a year right? Was that with Mario or after he was gone?

In Mario's final year at FIU, Cramsey was in his first year at OC (and if Mario liked him, you'd imagine he would have retained him for 2013).

Orlando was in his second year at DC and was (I guess) leaving for Utah State, which is when Mario tried to hire Guidry, but was then fired by Pete Garcia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back