The new schemes

Ashevegas Cane

Redshirt Freshman
Premium
For those who have seen, or are actually connected, are the new schemes taking hold with the team?
Last year we were warned that the offense was in trouble and it turned out much worse. The Defense seemed rigid and predictable.
Is there reason to think the new coordinators will be effective with our current roster? Do the kids enjoy playing for these guys?? That makes a big difference as kids talk to recruits.

I am all for some Kool-Aid but after the shot show on both sides last year I need more info.

Advertisement
We suck. History has instructed me not to drink the cool aid that is dosed with everclear this time of year. Bamas DC couldn't get it to work for us. I don't know what will.

With that said I am hearing that both sides of the ball are clicking well and adapting to the schemes. I think we'll be okay this year.

For those who have seen, or are actually connected, are the new schemes taking hold with the team?
Last year we were warned that the offense was in trouble and it turned out much worse. The Defense seemed rigid and predictable.
Is there reason to think the new coordinators will be effective with our current roster? Do the kids enjoy playing for these guys?? That makes a big difference as kids talk to recruits.

I am all for some Kool-Aid but after the shot show on both sides last year I need more info.

better athletes.

Little concerned about stunting on the DL. That seems to be a staple. Hopefully we have more gap integrity then with Diaz stunting. Still have PTSD from that UNC game.
MY THOUGHTS EXACTLY. I was coming to post the same dam game and all. With the offense I think we have more answers to pieces needed, only question is you have freshman RT who might need help from time to time but does Rivers have the foot speed in his kick step to not be a liability and not need any help.. You can scheme help for one but both?

But with the DC, we have a gaping hole in middle missing that nose and question marks at corner, slanting and being aggressive puts the dbs on islands, can they hold up? Will we be able to be stout on inside..

Advertisement
I’m Bullish on the New Offense.

The WR group will be much more improved because this scheme opens the field & allows for plausible spacing & gets guys open; Simplicity is the way. Between, Young, Restrepo, Harrell, Kirk & Ray Ray, we will have plenty of versatility in the X, Flanker & Slot that will allow for a multifaceted attack that can go with Quick hit routes in No-Huddle & can stretch the field with the Deep Ball when necessary as well. The TE group & RB committee will be good enough to maintain balance & force Defenses to respect all aspects of the Offense. I doubt we see too many stacked boxes, I mean they can if they want to, but I wouldn’t recommend it if I were an opposing DC.

Dawson is no dummy & unless he completely abandons his Houston playbook (which I doubt), we will absolutely have a productive & explosive Offense when necessary. I don’t think we’ll Air it out as much as we did with Lashlee, but it should a world’s away from atrocity of the Gattless catastrophe.

I think Guidry is a very good DC & his scheme will work well with the personnel.

The only thing I’m waiting to see is how the CB group deals with Speed WR’s & how the Run Defense holds up.

The CB group (if reports are true) that the Brown Brothers will be starting, is promising. Both are very physical in Coverage & Davonte in particular is absolute technician at Boundary. I think their one weakness as a group will be Defending against the long ball, but routes under 20yds should be congested traffic. Damari will probably have a transnational period before he gets complete understanding of how to consistently keep his man in front of him, but Davonte will be an active lockdown on his side & a disruptive pass defender, he’s got terrific hands & great IQ.

The Safety group will be interesting. Kam is the quintessential Field General patrolling the Deep 3rd’s; he’s an Elite FS, have to keep him healthy all year. Markeith is a question mark & JW is finally going to be used the way he’s supposed to, as a HYBRID. Jaden Harris’s development will be interesting to watch as well, because they’ve put him at Safety out of necessity & give his size & speed if he can get comfortable in that role can be an effective rotational Nickel that play at least 3 different spots.

The schemes overall IMO should be improved, especially on Offense. The Defense will actually be going back to some of the Manny stuff we used to run when he was DC because it’s the same scheme, but the way in which Guidry designs it is a lot different from Manny’s. Won’t thing for sure, our LB’s won’t be shoulder to shoulder pre-snap in the A-Gap with complete jailbreak assignments & that within itself will allow for a lot more flexibility in how we choose to attack QB’s.

The DL is actually pretty stacked & therefore I think pass rush will be stepped up big time.

Everything will come down to the maturation process & how quickly the young guys get acclimated into the rotations.

I don’t think either Dawson or Guidry are incompetent or arrogant assheads, therefore, s long as they don’t try to outcoach themselves we should see upticks on both sides of the ball. Keep it simple & play fast; Speed & aggression wins the day; Don’tmake it harder than it needs to be & force teams to beat us with their best effort, instead of us giving away victories due to retardation.

The roster is good enough, the schemes are good enough & the schedule is easy enough; don’t fck it up.

The WR group will be much more improved because this scheme opens the field & allows for plausible spacing & gets guys open; Simplicity is the way. Between, Young, Restrepo, Harrell, Kirk & Ray Ray, we will have plenty of versatility in the X, Flanker & Slot that will allow for a multifaceted attack that can go with Quick hit routes in No-Huddle & can stretch the field with the Deep Ball when necessary as well. The TE group & RB committee will be good enough to maintain balance & force Defenses to respect all aspects of the Offense. I doubt we see too many stacked boxes, I mean they can if they want to, but I wouldn’t recommend it if I were an opposing DC.

Dawson is no dummy & unless he completely abandons his Houston playbook (which I doubt), we will absolutely have a productive & explosive Offense when necessary. I don’t think we’ll Air it out as much as we did with Lashlee, but it should a world’s away from atrocity of the Gattless catastrophe.

I think Guidry is a very good DC & his scheme will work well with the personnel.

The only thing I’m waiting to see is how the CB group deals with Speed WR’s & how the Run Defense holds up.

The CB group (if reports are true) that the Brown Brothers will be starting, is promising. Both are very physical in Coverage & Davonte in particular is absolute technician at Boundary. I think their one weakness as a group will be Defending against the long ball, but routes under 20yds should be congested traffic. Damari will probably have a transnational period before he gets complete understanding of how to consistently keep his man in front of him, but Davonte will be an active lockdown on his side & a disruptive pass defender, he’s got terrific hands & great IQ.

The Safety group will be interesting. Kam is the quintessential Field General patrolling the Deep 3rd’s; he’s an Elite FS, have to keep him healthy all year. Markeith is a question mark & JW is finally going to be used the way he’s supposed to, as a HYBRID. Jaden Harris’s development will be interesting to watch as well, because they’ve put him at Safety out of necessity & give his size & speed if he can get comfortable in that role can be an effective rotational Nickel that play at least 3 different spots.

The schemes overall IMO should be improved, especially on Offense. The Defense will actually be going back to some of the Manny stuff we used to run when he was DC because it’s the same scheme, but the way in which Guidry designs it is a lot different from Manny’s. Won’t thing for sure, our LB’s won’t be shoulder to shoulder pre-snap in the A-Gap with complete jailbreak assignments & that within itself will allow for a lot more flexibility in how we choose to attack QB’s.

The DL is actually pretty stacked & therefore I think pass rush will be stepped up big time.

Everything will come down to the maturation process & how quickly the young guys get acclimated into the rotations.

I don’t think either Dawson or Guidry are incompetent or arrogant assheads, therefore, s long as they don’t try to outcoach themselves we should see upticks on both sides of the ball. Keep it simple & play fast; Speed & aggression wins the day; Don’tmake it harder than it needs to be & force teams to beat us with their best effort, instead of us giving away victories due to retardation.

The roster is good enough, the schemes are good enough & the schedule is easy enough; don’t fck it up.
The Rock Applause GIF

Love it. I’m all for Damari starting and taking his lumps early. He is too physically talented and we are too bare in that room for him not to play a lot. I love Richard but in a perfect world he can play Star and let the brothers do their thing outside and let JW be a chess piece.

Advertisement
One thing that stood out to me with Guidrys defense at Marshall, was how well they were able to get off their blocks and make a play. From the DL, to the LBs, to the DBs. Something that I feel like we haven't seen with our defenses in a long time.

Also, their DBs were so aggressive attacking the receivers point of catch. Slants, comebacks, go routes, their hands were in the catch radius being disruptive.

Hopefully we see both from our defense this year. I know we don't have a space eater at DT but if we can get off blocks and make plays at LOS, we'll be gucci

Love it. I’m all for Damari starting and taking his lumps early. He is too physically talented and we are too bare in that room for him not to play a lot. I love Richard but in a perfect world he can play Star and let the brothers do their thing outside and let JW be a chess piece.
Agreed.

In that scenario I would put Davonte at Field & Damari at Boundary, that way we pair up our best CB vs most teams best WR. Jadais could play SS too IMO, I don’t think they have any plans on playing him at Safety, but if for whatever reason the CB spots become filled in the future he could always move.

I’m really hoping Stafford gets developed, because he would be perfect at Nickel. I doubt he’ll play much beyond ST’s this year with both Davis & Couch ahead of him, but he’s significantly faster than both of them & has much higher upside. Addae (or whoever is responsible for the CB group) would buy themselves a ton of leeway & good fortune if they get that kid developed & ready to play.

Owe you a beverage.I don’t think you drink alcohol so you name it. Dang root beer float for all I care.this is so concise but so well put. Ultimate respect

We will be improved on offense. There's a way better line and way faster skillies.

Score a bunch of points, and we'll be ok.

Our run defense is going to be awful against better lines. Score points.

I hope our secondary offers some resistance.

Average score 46-34

Advertisement
Dawson is no dummy & unless he completely abandons his Houston playbook (which I doubt), we will absolutely have a productive & explosive Offense when necessary
Dawson practices a ton of classic Air Raid concepts and they want to throw the football deep a ton based on interviews and some practice vids. Seems like he brought it over. But someone who saw the scrimmage should be able to tell

Advertisement

Also, I haven't heard this much positivity from you in a hot minute

Also, I haven't heard this much positivity from you in a hot minute
Encouraging, insiders told us to be leery of the offense last year but the Broyles award made many of us hold out hope.

Just want a defense that isn't constantly shredded and gets some TOs

"The roster is good enough, the schemes are good enough & the schedule is easy enough; don’t fck it up."

Perfectly stated as usual.
Thank you.

Advertisement
Back