The most underrated players in South Florida

It's stuff like this that show how inept our coaches are. So much talent and we ignore it. Atleast 3 of those kids should be canes

WTF......yes every year we should bring in 50 kids from S.FL, we should get every 4 or 5 star kid and every one deemed underrated too. then we will be back. Y'all sound like annoying wives around here sometimes. Miami CANT GET EVERYBODY! lets hope what we do get wants to be here and has a chip on their shoulder to perform

Advertisement
Only reason Knowles dont got an offer likely cuz he plays at Edison.

Edison isnt a hot bed anymore..so schools aint rolling up in there like that....

Despite wht people think..these college coaches go to the same **** schools down here...and alot of schools get left out or underrecruited....

and if your head coach doesnt have college connections or sent other kids to schools then you on the outside looking in.

Yeap. Just because jimbo and nick will run in and out of certain schools doesn't mean their are walking around 62 st looking for another one. CC talent doesn't seem to get its due either. But it is not near expressway out of town either. If you don't drop in by copter you have actually drive many blocks of bad streets.

Another underrated player is James Bowe, Jr. from Killian.

He doesn't even have a Rivals profile, but he is a fast, aggressive LB on a dominant Cougars defense. He was all over the place in the Dade All-Star game.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/3453076/highlights/203912390

Bowe is intriguing because 5 years ago the kid couldn't put shoulder pads on correctly. Now that he is starting to mature a little and with some descent coaching he is turning into a football player. He is a project kid that needs to go to a school where he can redshirt for a year to gain weight and learn the system then play ST the following year with his 3rd year being when I would expect him on the field. Has a good frame and should be able to put on weight but it will take some time for him.

Advertisement
Looks like Knowles and Johnson will be Canes...like it and I like it a lot!

Not here to bash the staff, as fan Im ready to move on and hope we get back on the championship caliber of things for the kids who rep UM cause they really deserve it. Im ****ed AG is still around but if he really wanted to make things right then he would go after some more kids on Dmoneys list. Kids like Cooper Talon Archer Curtis should all be canes.

Every year, South Florida produces talented players who are ignored by the recruiting services. Sometimes, as we saw with Sheldrick Redwine and Ronnie Hoggins, the big schools catch on late. But a lot of guys still fall through the cracks of the Power 5. Here are a few legit players that aren't getting the attention they deserve:

Richie Cooper, WR, Hallandale (committed to Northern Illinois)- Local kids like John Brown, TY Hilton and Antonio Brown have developed from deadly returners into into dynamic NFL receivers. Cooper is next in line. Everybody knows he is an elite returner, but his evisceration of Central for 136 yards in the state playoffs proved that he is a receiver first. He brings an element that a lot of teams lack, including the Hurricanes.

Senior highlights-
Central game-

Adrienne Talan, OLB, Flanagan- Personally, I like defensive players with twitch and aggressiveness. You can teach technique and improve strength. But with twitch and nastiness, you either have it or you don't. Talan has both in spades. He played everywhere in the Falcons defense and was a demon on special teams. His versatility and athleticism remind me of a smaller Ryan Shazier. Not everyone on this list is necessarily Miami-caliber, but Talan is.

Senior highlights- www.hudl.com/athlete/1603592/highlights/210064413

Robert Knowles, S, Edison- This guy might be my favorite prospect in the class. His recruitment has been a mystery, and I have no idea what his grades or off-field situation is. As a football player, though?

cisproxy.php

Knowles is explosive, light on his feet, and nasty. He's a legit 6'2 with the frame to grow into a big safety. If his grades check out, he should have been offered yesterday.

Austin Maloney, WR, Columbus (committed to FIU)- People overlook Maloney because he is a white guy. But all you need to do is watch the tape against Killian, Flanagan and Central to know that he is one of the best pure playmakers in South Florida. He has great hands and technique, and he is one of the most physical receivers in the region. While he's not a speedster, he's a quick and explosive athlete who can excel on offense, defense or special teams. If FIU keeps him, he will set records there.

Senior highlights-

Ryan "Sunshine" Stanley, QB, Flanagan (committed to FAMU)- This one is a head-scratcher. Stanley is a good-sized passer with a quality arm on a top team. He finished with 3,431 total yards and 40 total TDs. He's not a good athlete- he's a GREAT athlete with true dual-threat ability. So why is he going to FAMU? No idea. He's a bit inconsistent, but that's normal for a high school quarterback. Stanley has come up big in tough spots against fast defenses and still has a lot of upside. He should be playing in the Power 5.

Rashad Fenton, CB, Carol City (leaning to UCF)- Fenton brings a complete package of skills to the table. He's a good-sized corner (6-foot) with excellent ball skills (10 INTs over the past two years). He was the best returner in Dade this year, and he also made plays on offense. People question his speed and funky running style but he still found a way to make explosive plays every week against top competition. Carol City players usually produce in college and Fenton should be no exception.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/3235798/highlights/199314397

Khalid McGee, SS, Northwestern (committed to USF)- If you're looking for an in-the-box safety, there aren't many better than Khalid McGee. He made his name as a young player by knocking guys out on special teams. While he's still very physical, he has developed into one of the better open-field tacklers in the city. McGee reminds me a bit of former 'Canes starter James Lewis. What he lacks in range, he makes up for in instincts and fearlessness.

Senior highlights- http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1664853/highlights/200496383

Bruce Davis, OLB, Killian (leaning to Cincinnati)- Davis is one of the new-age linebackers who can cover, blitz and make plays sideline-to-sideline. Whenever you watched Killian's dominant defense, you saw #12 in the center of the action. He reminds me of an off-brand Jermaine Grace.

Senior highlights- http://www.hudl.com/athlete/3208640/highlights/199308383

Shawn Lee Curtis, OLB/DE, Ronald Reagan (leaning to UCF)- This might be the first time we've talked about Ronald Reagan High School on the Recruiting Board. Curtis came out of nowhere to put up 21 sacks and generate a ton of buzz as a senior. Not only is he productive, but he is also a true student-athlete with outstanding measurables (6'3, 235, 4.6). Curtis won't fit every system, and his stiffness makes him somewhat of a one-trick pony. But it's a **** of a trick. Everyone needs pass rushers, and few are as good going forward as Curtis.

Senior highlights- http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2525508/highlights/165599375

Anthony Jones, WR/RB, Central- A lot of people did a double-take when they saw #4 making plays for Central this year. Jones isn't as fast as his cousin, Dalvin Cook, but he's a stellar athlete and player in his own right. Jones sat out last year due to a problem with his credits, but he exploded this year to become Central's MVP. He played Wildcat, RB, WR and returner and scored 20 total TDs. When the games were the toughest, Roland Smith put the ball in his hands. Jones can succeed at a lot of positions in college, but I like his upside as a physical receiver.

Senior highlights- http://www.hudl.com/athlete/3315741/highlights/179740375

Knowles!!!! LOL

Advertisement
One thing to learn from this list is that a lot of guys are underrecruited due to character.

Cooper, Talan and Davis all fall into that category. Fenton was the best of the bunch and will play in the NFL. Jones is also a real good player. Knowles was obviously a flop.

One thing to learn from this list is that a lot of guys are underrecruited due to character.

Cooper, Talan and Davis all fall into that category. Fenton was the best of the bunch and will play in the NFL. Jones is also a real good player.

We needed corners that year...No idea why we put Fenton on the back burner.

Knowles didn’t work out, but the point of these lists isn’t to bat a thousand. It’s to highlight players who are under-the-radar.

While that one stings, DMoney does a great job with these lists and if he were running things we’d have had Fenton, Lamar Jackson, Rakeem Cato, Skai Moore, tons of better OL’men, and a few flops.

I’ll take that, especially when the most notable flop plays hard on special teams and hasn’t gotten in any trouble. It’s not his fault the coaches put him in games.

Advertisement
Knowles didn’t work out, but the point of these lists isn’t to bat a thousand. It’s to highlight players who are under-the-radar.

While that one stings, DMoney does a great job with these lists and if he were running things we’d have had Fenton, Lamar Jackson, Rakeem Cato, Skai Moore, tons of better OL’men, and a few flops.

I’ll take that, especially when the most notable flop plays hard on special teams and hasn’t gotten in any trouble. It’s not his fault the coaches put him in games.

Yeah, this list was for guys outside of the Power 5. Although three of them (Curtis, Fenton and Knowles) ended up getting big offers before NSD.

Knowles was the big miss. I thought he would be awesome. The lesson there is: 1) don’t get too excited about local guys without seeing them live; and 2) always pay attention to testin numbers.

Advertisement
Rakeem Cato would’ve upgraded our QB room markedly. I mean, none of the other kids during that time outside of Kaaya played professional football.

Would he have been content being part of a QB room? I'm not a Kaaya die-hard, but I dont think Cato beats him out.

Projections are a tough business. There are very few Butch Davis' in the world, even though most on this board think they are.

Exactly. And we must consider if a player is a good fit too. Some of those guys were talented but probably a bad fit for a lot of those teams they signed with.

Advertisement
Back