The mismanagement of the roster with this staff is mind blowing

The defense isn't that much of a problem considering all you posted. The offense will be loaded at the skill positions next season and the OL, which takes the longest to develop, should declare itself on way or another next season. The QB position has not matured well, and there's legitimate beef to made there but I think Jarren is the real deal.

I'd like to see a 2019 kid with a grad transfer for competition at QB, and then I expect Max Johnson to be pursued for 2020. Richt will have every toy he wants on offense next season if Bryant comes in as a grad transfer and we can only hope the OL will push out 7-8 strong players.
If we didn’t have Gerald Willis we’d be in a world of hurt. And aside from Garvin these are all Golden’s guys. If the two linebackers leave plus Joe Jackson this defense will be bad next year replacing 6 starters. You clearly don’t see the big picture.

Advertisement
Not unless we get a new OL coach. It doesn't take 3+ plus years for OL to develop in a consistent unit. UF had a dumpster fire OL during the McElwain era. In Mullen's first year, his OL coach has his unit playing at a consistent level. And mind you, Miami and UF have about the same talent level at OL; it's not like UF was recruiting like Bama at that position.

we'll see one way or another. Scaife, Doladson, Gaynor, Boulware, Campbell should be in the mix next season and we'll need another tackle in there as well. Hopefully either by transfer, recruiting, or development.

1542396899112.png

we'll see one way or another. Scaife, Doladson, Gaynor, Boulware, Campbell should be in the mix next season and we'll need another tackle in there as well. Hopefully either by transfer, recruiting, or development.

So, you think it's been a talent issue the whole time and that Searles just needs another year (his 4th)? You do realize that this guy has had mediocre O-lines everywhere he's coached at.

The offensive line will still be a MAJOR concern. Especially if their are a couple of young inexperienced players starting. Nevertheless, like the LSU opener the Florida game will give Cane fan a major INDICATION what Miami will be like on offense in 2019. For example, Florida will have an EXPERIENCED defense returning next season. OUCH! And these two tangibles are why I don't believe Miami will defeat Florida. But I could be wrong.

Depends on who's at QB; if Bryant, Williams, and Perry go into the spring I think the starter in the fall will be able to beat UF. TE is a huge position for us on offense and Irvin coming back with a new recruit or two will be critical for the depth in that room. I don't think most appreciate how limited Malik is and how erratic Perry is, but getting someone who can stand in the pocket and deliver the ball accurately will change everything for our offense.

Boulware, Gaynor, Doladson, Scaife, Campbell will be coming back and everyone except Campbell had some run this season. We'll be tougher at OL next year but it would be nice to plug Neal (longshot) in at tackle as well. We'll be a better team to start next season for sure and Kelly Bryant would go a long way toward making that happen.

Last edited:
Advertisement
If we didn’t have Gerald Willis we’d be in a world of hurt. And aside from Garvin these are all Golden’s guys. If the two linebackers leave plus Joe Jackson this defense will be bad next year replacing 6 starters. You clearly don’t see the big picture.

Nah, we have Roussseau coming back to replace Jackson IF he leaves, and the young linebackers can thump. Not worried at all about the defense and I think it will be better. QB is our issue and hopefully Kelly Bryant comes to raise the bar.

So, you think it's been a talent issue the whole time and that Searles just needs another year (his 4th)? You do realize that this guy has had mediocre O-lines everywhere he's coached at.

A little more of a talent issue than coaching but yes, a combination of the two. Still 3 Golden players starting and the line was bad before Searles came on. They have gotten better over the last couple seasons but they still aren't very good. Get me 4-5 guys that this staff recruited and developed then we'll talk. So far Boulware was a decent evaluation and Scaife looks like he'll be a player before it's all said an done. Donaldson needs to lose some weight and stay at G. We need another tackle and I look forward to seeing what Campbell has.

A little more of a talent issue than coaching but yes, a combination of the two. Still 3 Golden players starting and the line was bad before Searles came on. They have gotten better over the last couple seasons but they still aren't very good. Get me 4-5 guys that this staff recruited and developed then we'll talk. So far Boulware was a decent evaluation and Scaife looks like he'll be a player before it's all said an done. Donaldson needs to lose some weight and stay at G. We need another tackle and I look forward to seeing what Campbell has.

Again, UF's OL was garbage, in year 1 they look like a competent group. In year 3, our OL still looks like a train wreck. Donaldson was one of the highest recruited linemen in the country, and after 2 years, people are already calling him a bust. St. Louis was a 4 star, he's not that good. Gauthier was a 3 star OL, and he's average at best. If you need high 4 star and 5 star OL to be competent, it's coaching, bud.

Every top 10 team (other than LSU) has a QB completing 66.7% or better of their throws and a wide margin of TDs to INTs.

You can have a LOT of recruiting fails (OL, TE. WR) but you can't fail at the QB position.

Bama - Tua - 67.9% 28-2
Clemson - Lawrence - 66.7% 19-4
Notre Dame - Book - 74.5% 15-4
Michigan - Patterson - 67.0% 17-3
Georgia - Fromm - 67.5% 19-5
Oklahoma - Murray - 70.9% 32-5
LSU - Burrow- 54.8% 7-4
Wash State - Minshew - 69.6% 29-7
West Virginia - Grier - 69.0% 31-8
Ohio State - Haskins - 68.9% - 33-6

Averages: 67.7% 23 TDs 4.8 INTs

Miami's sad QBs:

Rosier 53.5% on 144 attempts for 1007 yds (6.99 yds per attempt) 6 TDs 5 INTs
Perry 53.9% on 128 attempts for 866 yds (6.77 yds per attempt) 11 TDs 5 INTs

Advertisement
Every top 10 team (other than LSU) has a QB completing 66.7% or better of their throws and a wide margin of TDs to INTs.

You can have a LOT of recruiting fails (OL, TE. WR) but you can't fail at the QB position.

Bama - Tua - 67.9% 28-2
Clemson - Lawrence - 66.7% 19-4
Notre Dame - Book - 74.5% 15-4
Michigan - Patterson - 67.0% 17-3
Georgia - Fromm - 67.5% 19-5
Oklahoma - Murray - 70.9% 32-5
LSU - Burrow- 54.8% 7-4
Wash State - Minshew - 69.6% 29-7
West Virginia - Grier - 69.0% 31-8
Ohio State - Haskins - 68.9% - 33-6

Averages: 67.7% 23 TDs 4.8 INTs

Miami's sad QBs:

Rosier 53.5% on 144 attempts for 1007 yds (6.99 yds per attempt) 6 TDs 5 INTs
Perry 53.9% on 128 attempts for 866 yds (6.77 yds per attempt) 11 TDs 5 INTs

All those teams have QB friendly systems

We need Stafford at QB to succeed

WR is not stacked why do people keep saying this. Richards was the bonafide #1 and when he went down, it really hurt us. Cager jag, Harley jag, Langham other than some jump balls is not good. Thomas is a player but not a true number 1, he’s linited and has dropped some balls. All the young kids have potential but what have they done in college to call the position stacked. Stacked is Bama and Clemson who have multiple game changers, we have 1.

I agree but stacked in number and potential talent is probably what the original poster was saying. The potential talent is evident with what we have returning next year. Thomas, Harley, Wiggins, Pope, Hightower, Njoku, Ezzard, and Cager is pretty **** deep.

It's why I get so ****ed off that we don't just go 5 WR and just throw the **** ball at these defenses that are 80th something ranked vs the pass. Instead, we get conservative Richt who wants to run the ball up the gut over and over again...I think he has a real fetish problem with that play and needs to get help fast.

finishing 9-3 with a #22 recruiting class...that's the kind of thing you can write off as part of the rebuild. We'll see how the class finishes up, but 5-5 at this point isn't rebuilding, it's failure. We've gone 3 losses past the point where we should be overlooking losing as just part of the process. Richt is failing, and the best thing you can say about it is that he'll get it back together and we'll start winning again. Until we lose 4 in a row next year. Like we have every single year he's been here. Think about that. Year 3 actually looks worse than year 1.

Calvin god bless him is a true 100% coach worshiper.
There is no amount of facts or logic that will put a dent in his believe in Richt.
Even if everyone can see that by all metrics the old man in failing.

Last edited:
Advertisement
As Stefan said on the recruiting board...Miami essentially plays under "self-imposed scholarship sanctions" and it doesn't help that they are terrible recruiters. Can't land the big fish. Can't get the Plan Bs. Can't organize and facilitate the recruiting process.

At the end of the process...we are missing like 10 scholarship players and the bottom 1/4 of the roster left is unusable players just here for a free education.

Its an amateur hour clown show.

Again, UF's OL was garbage, in year 1 they look like a competent group. In year 3, our OL still looks like a train wreck. Donaldson was one of the highest recruited linemen in the country, and after 2 years, people are already calling him a bust. St. Louis was a 4 star, he's not that good. Gauthier was a 3 star OL, and he's average at best. If you need high 4 star and 5 star OL to be competent, it's coaching, bud.

Grass always looks greener...You’re the one calling them busts and referring to stars, friend. I’m saying you need guys that fit your system and can do the things you ask them to do.

Grass always looks greener...You’re the one calling them busts and referring to stars, friend. I’m saying you need guys that fit your system and can do the things you ask them to do.

You act like we run a complex scheme; we don't. And again, Searels has never had a good OL wherever he's been. A lot of people questioned this hire and a majority turned out to be right. If your unit looks the way it does in year 3, it's the coach, not the players. Also, when your OL has 4-5 false start penalties in 1 game, that's usually indicative on how flawed coaching is. I really don't care whether you grasp this simple concept or not as the general consensus on this board sides with my opinion and I've also got examples of other teams that are doing more with less.

Advertisement
Nah, we have Roussseau coming back to replace Jackson IF he leaves, and the young linebackers can thump. Not worried at all about the defense and I think it will be better. QB is our issue and hopefully Kelly Bryant comes to raise the bar.
Crowning a kid before he takes a meaningful snap, sounds about right. The young linebackers aren’t ACC Championship level LBs they just aren’t. And Kelly Bryant is absolute dog $h*t. I’m just being real dude take off your orange and green glasses.

You act like we run a complex scheme; we don't. And again, Searels has never had a good OL wherever he's been. A lot of people questioned this hire and a majority turned out to be right. If your unit looks the way it does in year 3, it's the coach, not the players. Also, when your OL has 4-5 false start penalties in 1 game, that's usually indicative on how flawed coaching is. I really don't care whether you grasp this simple concept or not as the general consensus on this board sides with my opinion and I've also got examples of other teams that are doing more with less.

We performed better in terms of penalties on the OL last season if i'm not mistaken; so it hasn't been a recurring theme during Searles tenure. I'm not here to defend him or any coach per se, I'm just saying players need to take a certain level of responsibility for their performance as well.
Ed Reed and Ray Lewis aren't HOFers because someone simply coached them up. If that were the case then great coaches would consistently produce HOFers on the strength of their coaching alone, and we both know that's not the way it works.

There are a lot of player-focus issues, such as securing the ball effectively, center QB exchange, fielding punts, and blocking appropriately, which have become issues over the last several games that weren't problematic before. So to me it's not simply a coaching issue if players weren't doing it before and started doing over the last 4 games. Malik wins 10 straight, has 31 TDs last season, and we're #2 in the nation; was that not good coaching? So when Malik ****s the bed vs Pitt did Richt forget how to coach? Or did he not have someone better to put in the game? Kehoe said, and I'll never forget, "good coaching is being able to put another guy in that can do what you need to get the job done".

The mob mentality and group-think of forums like this aren't evidence of fact. Most times the consensus you claim is driven by emotion and a need for acceptance if not an aversion to criticism. I can care less how many people think like you or me when it comes to this discussion, friend.

Nature and nurture; both impact the way we interact and perform in life.

Last edited:
We performed better in terms of penalties on the OL last season if i'm not mistaken; so it hasn't been a recurring theme during Searles tenure. I'm not here to defend him or any coach per se, I'm just saying players need to take a certain level of responsibility for their performance as well.
Ed Reed and Ray Lewis aren't HOFers because someone simply coached them up. If that were the case then great coaches would consistently produce HOFers on the strength of their coaching alone, and we both know that's not the way it works.

There are a lot of player-focus issues, such as securing the ball effectively, center QB exchange, fielding punts, and blocking appropriately, which have become issues over the last several games that weren't problematic before. So to me it's not simply a coaching issue if players weren't doing it before and started doing over the last 4 games. Malik wins 10 straight, has 31 TDs last season, and we're #2 in the nation; was that not good coaching? So when Malik ****s the bed vs Pitt did Richt forget how to coach? Or did he not have someone better to put in the game? Kehoe said, and I'll never forget, "good coaching is being able to put another guy in that can do what you need to get the job done".

The mob mentality and group-think of forums like this aren't evidence of fact. Most times the consensus you claim is driven by emotion and a need for acceptance if not an aversion to criticism. I can care less how many people think like you or me when it comes to this discussion, friend.

Nature and nurture; both impact the way we interact and perform in life.

Yeah, don't know what to tell you. OL is the position that relies on coaching the most out of any other unit. Stop trying to detract away from the initial argument that Searels is not a good coach. Period.

Advertisement
Back