The loss is 1000000% on Mario, but I'd still like to discuss the fumble call

terdferguson

Junior
It's Mario's fault. This thread isn't to take blame away from him. Now that that has been established. Let's talk about the fumble.

Looking at the replay it was quite obvious that the elbow was in grass and then the ball was stripped afterwards. There was a replay angle (from the endzone I think) that clearly showed this. They showed that angle at the end of the review process and even zoomed in on it which made it very clear and obvious. There is at least some small part of replay that is subjective because a human is interpretting what they see. But **** man, this seemed pretty cut and dry. I'm kind of at a loss for how anyone on this planet could see what I saw and say he wasn't down or it was inconclusive. I guess the only thing I can come up with is the one angle we saw, wasn't shown to the ref on the field??? Really strange. I would love to hear from the ref what he saw and why he made that call, but obviously that will never happen.

Advertisement
It was total horse**** review, terrible call. IMO, they should just get rid of review, considering they still get calls wrong watching in slow motion from 10 different angles. I can live with bang bang calls like that play that don't go your way with the guys actually on the field in real time. There is no justification for replay to get that play incorrect. none

It's Mario's fault. This thread isn't to take blame away from him. Now that that has been established. Let's talk about the fumble.

Looking at the replay it was quite obvious that the elbow was in grass and then the ball was stripped afterwards. There was a replay angle (from the endzone I think) that clearly showed this. They showed that angle at the end of the review process and even zoomed in on it which made it very clear and obvious. There is at least some small part of replay that is subjective because a human is interpretting what they see. But **** man, this seemed pretty cut and dry. I'm kind of at a loss for how anyone on this planet could see what I saw and say he wasn't down or it was inconclusive. I guess the only thing I can come up with is the one angle we saw, wasn't shown to the ref on the field??? Really strange. I would love to hear from the ref what he saw and why he made that call, but obviously that will never happen.

Why stop at the fumble call?
How about the hold call on Cohen during the TE run, Corey Flagg being flagged for taunting or whatever that nonsense and at 2-3 more bad calls as well.

Advertisement
Advertisement
If the refs would have made the correct call on Chaney's fumble, and then the review team would have made the honest determination that his elbow was down before the ball was jostled out... we wouldn't be talking about Mario's failed time management.
Also, TVD better snap out of his 2022 funk because the season is just going to get tougher from now on.

Terrible job by the officials, it made me think this was karma getting us from the Duke lateral play the week after Golden got canned. Because it was plain as day that the elbow was down before the dude ripped at the ball, and like you said there were sufficient looks to confirm it as a necessary overturn. Like somebody above said the fact there was an official looking RIGHT AT IT and still calling it a fumble on the field is just insane.

Regardless, we all know this is not the issue as you noted and the play should never have happened. It was like a perfect storm of **** all thrown together to **** up our night.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I question the game officials but also the ACC ‘command center’. They are in contact with game officials during reviews. Not only did the game officials blow the call, so did the Home Office.

Maybe they said, ‘if Miami is too dumb to kneel, let’s give Tech the ball, see what happens’.

If the refs would have made the correct call on Chaney's fumble, and then the review team would have made the honest determination that his elbow was down before the ball was jostled out... we wouldn't be talking about Mario's failed time management.
Also, TVD better snap out of his 2022 funk because the season is just going to get tougher from now on.
We **** well would’ve been talking about it. But point taken. It doesn’t sting like this.

I don’t know what to make of TVD. Looked brilliant at times and sometimes literally throwing the ball into traffic like I’ve never seen. Three GT guys. I’d love to know what the difference is, maybe Lance breaks it down as hard as that is going to be to read.

Advertisement
Back