The longer I follow recruiting...

... the more convinced I am that a huge percentage of these kids are just really idiots. There are too many examples to name, but one that's jumping off the screen this year is being a firm commit to Miami with Golden but not being sure about Miami with Mark Richt. Another is the relative lack of interest from DL with Coach Kool on board. Another would be 5-6 huge time DL all signing with LSU despite the fact that Miles will almost certainly be gone soon and you'll be playing for who-knows-who. ****, I'll be honest.... no way would my kid have signed with Miami last year under Golden. The writing was on the wall and there was zero evidence that the school would put adequate resources into a replacement - thank God Richt happened and we seem to have turned that around.

I think way too frequently when we're discussing where kids are going to end up, we apply deductive reasoning thought processes and other sorts of logical thinking exercises when these kids just go wherever they're tagging the most chicks on their visits or whichever school makes them seem like a bigshot to their friends. I always knew that *some* kids were this short-sighted and naive, but the more I follow the more I think that it might be the majority of kids who are making these life-changing decisions on a whim.

Most of these kids are football players not scholars....temper your expectations a little.

Agreed but they should know or be taught that your word should mean something.I know this isn't a popular stance anymore but I remember a time when you would agree on a deal with someone,looked that person in the eye,firm handshake, and the deal was done.No waffling or any b.s.Today that just is not the case anymore in a lot of situations.Sad.To me, man is only as good as his word,period.

I think more kids would be honest and stick to their commitments if two things happened.

1. The recruiting period was longer- Players basically have 8 months (spring evals to signing day) to build a relationship with a complete stranger and staff to lead you for the next 3-5 years. Within that time, they have their season, dead periods, school and senior activities to focus on. It needs to be stretched to two years with an early signing period, increased ovs and expenses paid for families on ovs.
2. The other aspect is coaches LIE! You will be the next Percy Harvin! Those guys on the roster dont compare to you! You will start day 1! My job is secure, dont liten to all that noise in the media! Not to mention the coaches who are negatively recruiting against other schools.
So in a short period of time with a bunch of distractions an 18 yr old kid has to decide where he is going to spend his nect 3-5 years to the person who is lying to him the least. Not an easy decision.

Good points 83.I have said this before and I will say it again.In my opinion kids should not be able to commit until they are finished making all the visits that they are allowed to make.Their family should be with them on the visits.take all of it in and process the information.When they are through,they should sit down and make the best decision for themselves and then commit.Commiting and being allowed to commit before taking all your visits is stupid IMO.

Advertisement
The biggest head scratcher is all those DL going to LSU at one time. Instead of going to a place where you can play and possibly make some draft stock for yourself you are going somewhere to be buried your entire career on the depth chart. Better hope you can really turn up your game for those 1-5 players you might see a game. Hopefully we get back on the other end where we are loading up on the talent and I am amazed that 5 or 6 top guys are coming for 1 or 2 possible starting spots.

The longer I follow recruiting... "The more I hate it."

Why do I do this to myself :um1lw::Qft9gEw::gonnagetyousucka::dbc2:

The example of a kid being committed to Golden and not Richt has NOTHING to do w how good they are at coaching. These coaches are mentors to them and practically family members by the time they are finishing high school. So when Golden got canned, suddenly a guy you trusted and were comfortable with is no longer there and in comes another coach they may not know as well. This situation dives far deeper than discussing x's and o's of football.

Advertisement
I hope it is all about $$$, and the kids are getting paid, because then I am all for it. The slavery system of the NCAA gets billions, and these kids get squat. If that is the case, then I just wish UM truly had enough to play that game.

If it is not, then I agree, some really bad advice and not looking at the big picture.

You JUST came to this conclusion? The majority of adults in this world are idiots, why wouldn't you expect their children to be?

... the more convinced I am that a huge percentage of these kids are just really idiots. There are too many examples to name, but one that's jumping off the screen this year is being a firm commit to Miami with Golden but not being sure about Miami with Mark Richt. Another is the relative lack of interest from DL with Coach Kool on board. Another would be 5-6 huge time DL all signing with LSU despite the fact that Miles will almost certainly be gone soon and you'll be playing for who-knows-who. ****, I'll be honest.... no way would my kid have signed with Miami last year under Golden. The writing was on the wall and there was zero evidence that the school would put adequate resources into a replacement - thank God Richt happened and we seem to have turned that around.

I think way too frequently when we're discussing where kids are going to end up, we apply deductive reasoning thought processes and other sorts of logical thinking exercises when these kids just go wherever they're tagging the most chicks on their visits or whichever school makes them seem like a bigshot to their friends. I always knew that *some* kids were this short-sighted and naive, but the more I follow the more I think that it might be the majority of kids who are making these life-changing decisions on a whim.

Most of these kids are football players not scholars....temper your expectations a little.

Agreed but they should know or be taught that your word should mean something.I know this isn't a popular stance anymore but I remember a time when you would agree on a deal with someone,looked that person in the eye,firm handshake, and the deal was done.No waffling or any b.s.Today that just is not the case anymore in a lot of situations.Sad.To me, man is only as good as his word,period.

I think more kids would be honest and stick to their commitments if two things happened.

1. The recruiting period was longer- Players basically have 8 months (spring evals to signing day) to build a relationship with a complete stranger and staff to lead you for the next 3-5 years. Within that time, they have their season, dead periods, school and senior activities to focus on. It needs to be stretched to two years with an early signing period, increased ovs and expenses paid for families on ovs.
2. The other aspect is coaches LIE! You will be the next Percy Harvin! Those guys on the roster dont compare to you! You will start day 1! My job is secure, dont liten to all that noise in the media! Not to mention the coaches who are negatively recruiting against other schools.
So in a short period of time with a bunch of distractions an 18 yr old kid has to decide where he is going to spend his nect 3-5 years to the person who is lying to him the least. Not an easy decision.

Good points 83.I have said this before and I will say it again.In my opinion kids should not be able to commit until they are finished making all the visits that they are allowed to make.Their family should be with them on the visits.take all of it in and process the information.When they are through,they should sit down and make the best decision for themselves and then commit.Commiting and being allowed to commit before taking all your visits is stupid IMO.

Sounds good but you are describing the recruitment of a five star who coaches will wait on. When you are a 3 star you have to get in where you fit in. Look at Latrell Williams. Commited to usf and his coach leaves and takes him to um. Now a bunch of schools are missing out on their top guys and he suddenly moved up their boards. He probably wont even get to take 5 officials because of time.

BTW, enough blame isn't being put on coaches. Everybody is always talking about how a commitment means nothing these days and that cuts both ways. There are countless examples of kids who commit, shut it down, and stay loyal to a school only for a coach to cut them when a better player comes along. Then people get upset when a kid commits somewhere to reserve a spot and keeps taking visits. Well, their behavior is incentivized by the actions of coaches. Also, once a kid commits it's not as if other coaches stop recruiting them. So you have 17 year olds making a life changing decision and every step of the way they have professional salesmen selling them the world, in some cases, even more so after they commit. Why are we surprised they can't make up their **** minds? The adults (coaches) are more than half the problem. And it's only going to get worse with 7th and 8th graders being offered scholarships. They're told they're the GOAT and given ridiculous promises from Age 13 onward, they will naturally have a huge sense of entitlement. Blame the coaches.

Advertisement
I hope it is all about $$$, and the kids are getting paid, because then I am all for it. The slavery system of the NCAA gets billions, and these kids get squat. If that is the case, then I just wish UM truly had enough to play that game.

If it is not, then I agree, some really bad advice and not looking at the big picture.

Slavery system? Really? That's quite an insult to those who were slaves.

Good thing none of them are alive to read what he wrote.

These kids aren't dumb..they see the world through different shades. I would bet that most of the D Tackles in the nation (excluding the ones who met him) don't know who Coach Kool is... They base their decisions on popularity and feelings...Mostly feelings...meaning who do they feel comfortable with. . If a kid get the right vibe from the wrong guy... they are very likely to make the wrong decisions. ..doesnt mean they are dumb... These kids have lives they don't spend hours on end on in online fourms like we do... I wouldn't know half of the stuff i know if not for this site... Now some of the kids are more informed than others...have a great support system like coaches and parents...but they are few and far between...A great example...when UM was burning like Atlanta in the 60s (1860s) I was in panic not knowing...every time a coach name was mentioned I was researching...Shaq was as cool as the otherside of the pillow (rip Stuart)... I would ask do you know who so and so is and what type of D he runs...he would answer no and no...but it will all work out...I was like thats a dumb take on a decision that will effect the rest of your life... The coach he favored the most..the first guy to make him an offer...a DC that runs the exact D he ran all four yrs of HS are now in place were he felt the most comfortable. .. I guess I'm the dummy.. They have a major choice to make...getting attention to boot..some will make the right and some won't. and the right choice is a matter of opinion ..it is what it is...and you will never please everybody with your choices

These kids aren't dumb..they see the world through different shades. I would bet that most of the D Tackles in the nation (excluding the ones who met him) don't know who Coach Kool is... They base their decisions on popularity and feelings...Mostly feelings...meaning who do they feel comfortable with. . If a kid get the right vibe from the wrong guy... they are very likely to make the wrong decisions. ..doesnt mean they are dumb... These kids have lives they don't spend hours on end on in online fourms like we do... I wouldn't know half of the stuff i know if not for this site... Now some of the kids are more informed than others...have a great support system like coaches and parents...but they are few and far between...A great example...when UM was burning like Atlanta in the 60s (1860s) I was in panic not knowing...every time a coach name was mentioned I was researching...Shaq was as cool as the otherside of the pillow (rip Stuart)... I would ask do you know who so and so is and what type of D he runs...he would answer no and no...but it will all work out...I was like thats a dumb take on a decision that will effect the rest of your life... The coach he favored the most..the first guy to make him an offer...a DC that runs the exact D he ran all four yrs of HS are now in place were he felt the most comfortable. .. I guess I'm the dummy.. They have a major choice to make...getting attention to boot..some will make the right and some won't. and the right choice is a matter of opinion ..it is what it is...and you will never please everybody with your choices

Good points.In the end,it's a game to us, but for the kids it's their future at stake.Recruiting and college sports are definitely different than they were not to long ago.Constant coaching changes and people pulling these kids many different directions with some being less than truthful.You just hope that the kid has supportive parents who can see through the b.s. and help him make the right decision.They have to live with it,not us.Lots of pressure on these players today.

Last edited:
Advertisement

You can't say that about every kid though, it just so happens that Shaq is latching onto UM at the right time with arguably there best hire ever. How could you reasonably commit to a school that has 3 other highly recruited players ahead of you (LSU)? In this day and age kids want to play right away and a large majority of kids are scared of real competition. 17-19 year old kids commit to schools for various reasons, more often than not it's on a whim. I would venture to say a lot of these kids have a great official visit somewhere (aka meet some vag) and think there time there will be similar which is proven to not be the case 9 times out of 10. Once your on campus, your simply a part of the 105 on the team.

I nominate for post of the year!

Your son is very fortunate. As I mentioned, I'm not just saying this about kids that choose other places than UM, as I'm not sure I would've sent my child to UM under Golden. It was clear early on that you and Shaq were both thoughtful people, careful, and handled things well and without drama. Kudos. I wish more would approach it the same way, but I understand there a lot of factors at play (youth, lack of leadership or poor characters in leadership positions, intelligence, social needs, etc.). It just seems - to me - to be getting worse every year. Maybe it's the social media side of it that's leading me that way (or maybe civilization really IS crumbling and things ARE getting worse....).

Advertisement
Some good posts here, but at the end of the day, how we feel about a recruit typically comes down to whether they commit to UM or not. Couldn't fans of other schools say the same thing about any kid who committed to that **** storm we called a coaching staff from 2010-2015? Why go to Miami when the HC will be fired and the staff is full with incompetents? People in So. Calif thought Brad Kayaa was a moron for choosing UM over UCLA , same with those close to Chad Thomas (us over Bama) and frankly any kid who chose UM during the Shapiro fiasco.

Kids pick schools for some of the most ridiculous reasons, and are easily swayed by savvy assistants, high school coaches, Genrons, etc. Sometimes we benefit, and sometimes we don't. I will say, winning tends to be the ultimate tie-breaker between schools, particularly the winning that has occurred most recently. I know one highly sought recruit who was debating between UM and Florida (during Urban's time) and Meyer basically said "watch us play and then watch UM, and tell what you think?" That happened right after our 48-0 to Virginia at the OB.

As some have said it's really the coaches and the current system that ruin it. There should be an early singing period where the player can only back out if the head coach of program is fired or leaves. These kids don't know who to believe and when it's comes the intagibles the difference between schools like bama, fsu, uf, LSU, etc. is spilting hairs.

Some kids play games cuz they love the attention and the drama but some kids just get caught up in the cycle. For example I believe latrell williams had every intent to honor his prior commitment however for all we know he really wanted to come to miami as a kid but wasn't getting the love from the old staff and didn't have an offer.

If it's one thing I've learned about recruiting (and I'm almost at 20 years following like a maniac on the internet; eye of the hurricane people, stand up), it's that WE are idiots for actually thinking it's possible to know what a recruit is thinking.

Earlier in the week, I mentioned my experiences with Willie Williams and Antone Smith. Just nonsense all the way around.

Recruiting is awesome to follow. Talking about the recruits and guessing where they end up is a fun hobby. But, no chance at getting into a recruit's though process (if it exists).

Indentured servitude is a form of slavery. If I "insulted" someone, then by God I am happy. When a player like Artie Burns, who is making the U a ton of money, can't help bury his mother, and take donations without risking his NCAA given slavery, then I will call it that way.

When they are making BILLIONS off these kids, and the kids fruits of their labors are the result in said Billions, that is a form of slavery.

Advertisement
Back