The longer I follow recruiting...

TheSwagger1

Retired staff
Premium
... the more convinced I am that a huge percentage of these kids are just really idiots. There are too many examples to name, but one that's jumping off the screen this year is being a firm commit to Miami with Golden but not being sure about Miami with Mark Richt. Another is the relative lack of interest from DL with Coach Kool on board. Another would be 5-6 huge time DL all signing with LSU despite the fact that Miles will almost certainly be gone soon and you'll be playing for who-knows-who. ****, I'll be honest.... no way would my kid have signed with Miami last year under Golden. The writing was on the wall and there was zero evidence that the school would put adequate resources into a replacement - thank God Richt happened and we seem to have turned that around.

I think way too frequently when we're discussing where kids are going to end up, we apply deductive reasoning thought processes and other sorts of logical thinking exercises when these kids just go wherever they're tagging the most chicks on their visits or whichever school makes them seem like a bigshot to their friends. I always knew that *some* kids were this short-sighted and naive, but the more I follow the more I think that it might be the majority of kids who are making these life-changing decisions on a whim.

Advertisement
The amount of money in D1 Football has given the recruits all of the leverage due to the pressure to win as coaches. It has tarnished ethics and business practices and at the same time creating huge buzz for TV Networks to make money off of 18 year olds playing games and trolling. That's the world we live in and the kids embrace is as they've been told for years how great they are and the entitlement continues to get worse by the year. An early signing period would put all of this to rest but that is too simple for the NCAA and TV Networks wouldn't be on board due to the the money they'd lose out on. The underbelly of college sports is getting uglier and uglier as its now becoming the NFL and taking the "it's a business" approach.

I think this gets magnified now because a) we're all getting older b) recruiting is getting bigger c) social media exists

Advertisement
Most people are stupid in general. Kids, parents HS coaches it doesn't matter. For the most part, they make the most un-informed decisions imaginable.

... the more convinced I am that a huge percentage of these kids are just really idiots. There are too many examples to name, but one that's jumping off the screen this year is being a firm commit to Miami with Golden but not being sure about Miami with Mark Richt. Another is the relative lack of interest from DL with Coach Kool on board. Another would be 5-6 huge time DL all signing with LSU despite the fact that Miles will almost certainly be gone soon and you'll be playing for who-knows-who. ****, I'll be honest.... no way would my kid have signed with Miami last year under Golden. The writing was on the wall and there was zero evidence that the school would put adequate resources into a replacement - thank God Richt happened and we seem to have turned that around.

I think way too frequently when we're discussing where kids are going to end up, we apply deductive reasoning thought processes and other sorts of logical thinking exercises when these kids just go wherever they're tagging the most chicks on their visits or whichever school makes them seem like a bigshot to their friends. I always knew that *some* kids were this short-sighted and naive, but the more I follow the more I think that it might be the majority of kids who are making these life-changing decisions on a whim.

Most of these kids are football players not scholars....temper your expectations a little.

Most of these kids are football players not scholars....temper your expectations a little.

Agreed but they should know or be taught that your word should mean something.I know this isn't a popular stance anymore but I remember a time when you would agree on a deal with someone,looked that person in the eye,firm handshake, and the deal was done.No waffling or any b.s.Today that just is not the case anymore in a lot of situations.Sad.To me, man is only as good as his word,period.

Last edited:
I deal with the general public daily and that label can be applied to all ages no matter race or age. We are fat and stupid as a society.

Advertisement
Most of these kids aren't very smart (hate the word "idiot") but the real problem lies with their parents. IMHO, it's much more of an indictment of the parenting skills than a kid's intellect (or lack thereof)...

The one factor that your not enough credence to is that everyone of these kids is being sold their future by the best sales men on planet earth. These kids are for the most part going to hear what they want to hear because the coaches are going to sell them on it. One of the biggest factors in recruiting nowadays is relationships with coaches.

Coming at this from a HS coach standpoint, you never know who has these kids' ears nowadays. They get bad advice from many angles, mostly from people who claim to have their best interest in mind.

Advertisement
I think these kids are just susceptible to the old adage "roll with the winners". They would go to FSU just to ride the oak for 3 years when they can come to Miami and play right now. In these kids eyes, Miami isn't the Miami we grew up watching. Miami has to win some meaningful games and get back our rightful national perception of being contenders. That happens and these kids will quit using Miami for their hat picks or better offers. They would flock here.

Parents should advise kids to composite a top five list and then take all 5 officials visits before making a commitment, and once u commit thats it. i know thats what i would tell my kid. as parents we should point out pros and cons of each of the top five schools and let the kids decide

18 year olds have always been dumb...compared to 30 year olds, who are in turn dumber than the 40 year olds. Kids will be kids, but the current culture isn't helping any by promoting dumb behaviors as fashionable things to do.

Advertisement
I blame whoever is guiding these kids more than the kids themselves. This is a life-changing decision that quite frankly, 17 and 18 year-olds aren't equipped to make.

Agreed but they should know or be taught that your word should mean something.I know this isn't a popular stance anymore but I remember a time when you would agree on a deal with someone,looked that person in the eye,firm handshake, and the deal was done.No waffling or any b.s.Today that just is not the case anymore in a lot of situations.Sad.To me, man is only as good as his word,period.

I think more kids would be honest and stick to their commitments if two things happened.

1. The recruiting period was longer- Players basically have 8 months (spring evals to signing day) to build a relationship with a complete stranger and staff to lead you for the next 3-5 years. Within that time, they have their season, dead periods, school and senior activities to focus on. It needs to be stretched to two years with an early signing period, increased ovs and expenses paid for families on ovs.
2. The other aspect is coaches LIE! You will be the next Percy Harvin! Those guys on the roster dont compare to you! You will start day 1! My job is secure, dont liten to all that noise in the media! Not to mention the coaches who are negatively recruiting against other schools.
So in a short period of time with a bunch of distractions an 18 yr old kid has to decide where he is going to spend his nect 3-5 years to the person who is lying to him the least. Not an easy decision.

Excellent post TheSwagger1. To be fair to the kids, they are under a lot of pressure. Schools like LSU put tremendous pressure on their top players to stay home. It comes from their high school, their friends, people in the community they don't even know, the local media which plays up them going to the state school, etc., etc. Many of the kids come out of tiny little towns, where the state school is everything. To not go there is in essence to not support home in the calculus of local folk. Add to that the "perks" that get spread around - lots of people with their hands out who won't get paid if X recruit goes elsewhere. When LSU said it was willing to pay $15 million to fire a coach who has won 77 percent of his games, I took that as evidence that they have ZERO issue in finding ways to make sure whoever needs to be paid will get paid, and it's not just LSU as I see it.

That doesn't explain our local kids, but I think you're correct that kids this in this class look at where we've been and don't focus on who we are based on our staff now. What DL kid would not want to play for Coach Kool? He is the best at what he does in college football. Coach Richt won 75% of his games at UGA - 150 total. So, again, I get where you're coming from.

I do think we land Sam Bruce. I have no real inside information, but I taught his 1st cousin last year at a school out in Tennessee and he indicated that they are a very religious family. He emphasized that their grandmother is the matriarch and that she has insisted on that. I would think as a family they would be greatly impressed with Coach Richt since he is genuinely a man of faith. No guarantees, but it seems to make sense.

Advertisement
Back