The latest with Romello Height

View as article
Advertisement
I'm not a huge fan of this take, but it was a completely different coaching staff.

I'll respect Mario's decision.

Not thrilled with this. For multiple reasons.

Levels.
Blaming Spider-Man GIF

Unless we have DEs hit the portal or put for the season with injury, I don't think adding another DE .makes sense. There are already 3 deep with guys with experience. You have:
Bain
Mesidor
Kelly
Wayne
Alston (transfer)

Then we have 4 freshman DEs in:
Maconathy
Lightfoot
Pickett
Rudolph

Adding another transfer would mean zero game reps for thr freshman as they couldn't crack the 4 deep barring injury.

To me, I'd want experience in the 2-deep and then freshmen on the 3rd team. This would allow for PT eith the houng players when injuries occur.

I get wanting as many bodies as you can get in a position group, but there is the law of diminishing returns, which is the more you put into something, eventually you'll get less out it. That means a lot of talented young players not getting experience and some hitting the portal.

Is NOT getting your young players experience and having the possibility of them transferring worth bringing in another 1-year transfer? In my opinion, absolutely NO.

I'm so sorry you don't have any inside information. And can't figure out how viewpoints can change over time with new information.

You're so busy carrying out your vendetta against me that you can't possibly do your own math.

I'm not concerned with the micro, but the macro.

I'm so sorry you don't have any inside information. And can't figure out how viewpoints can change over time with new information.

You're so busy carrying out your vendetta against me that you can't possibly do your own math.

I'm not concerned with the micro, but the macro.
Insiders can lie to me year round. I care about Saturdays in the fall. I thought we were cool?

Advertisement
Love the fact Mario wants to win now and doesn't want injuries to derail the team's potential.

But if we need another DE, can't we do better than this guy in the portal? Height trolled us coming out of HS. I even get why he went to Auburn. But he didn't need to flip last minute like he did. And he's not shown he can be anything other than decent at the college level.

... Also, unless we have a surprise transfer out at DE (e.g., Kelly), I don't know why you don't groom one of the inbound freshmen to step up like Bain and Wayne did last season, or go recruit another top-end DT and kick JHH out there when needed. Just seems like a sub-optimal use of a scholarship to me.

I understand the need to have good depth up front. Trust me I get it, especially after last year. Ijust think we have much more pressing needs at other positions. But whatever, we better win.
Trust Mario

Mario Cristobal: “We are getting better, but it's never enough at that position. You watch all these games that come down to the final possession, final quarter. Typically those positions, they make a play. Never kneel”

Love the fact Mario wants to win now and doesn't want injuries to derail the team's potential.

But if we need another DE, can't we do better than this guy in the portal? Height trolled us coming out of HS. I even get why he went to Auburn. But he didn't need to flip last minute like he did. And he's not shown he can be anything other than decent at the college level.

... Also, unless we have a surprise transfer out at DE (e.g., Kelly), I don't know why you don't groom one of the inbound freshmen to step up like Bain and Wayne did last season, or go recruit another top-end DT and kick JHH out there when needed. Just seems like a sub-optimal use of a scholarship to me.
I think they would be happy if one of the freshmen took the spot. But relying on true freshmen who need to gain significant weight is a perilous strategy.

As for the trolling, I don’t think that factors into their thinking at all. They weren’t the ones getting trolled.

Advertisement
Dgaf about clowning former staff and a HS recruiting analyst 5 years ago, but the tape is utterly unimpressive and the “OLB/DE hybrid” jargon looks more like code for “tweener” to me when I watch.

Definitely want as much depth as you can give me at DE, but the dude looks like an aggressive OLB who can’t cover/set the edge but was able to win some downhill strength reps against weak PAC-12 comp at the LOS.

We’ve taken some baaaaaad DL in the portal, but I’d like to be pleasantly surprised here if it ends up happening *shrugs*.

I understand the need to have good depth up front. Trust me I get it, especially after last year. Ijust think we have much more pressing needs at other positions. But whatever, we better win.
No doubt

I’ll just say by now with Mario I’ll just hang around and not say too much until the dust settles. Would be a weird take in the moment but I dunno. Mario does dumb **** but I know the man’s goal is to build a monster roster and he knows what one is supposed to look like

We’ll see

Advertisement
Insiders can lie to me year round. I care about Saturdays in the fall. I thought we were cool?

Yeah, insiders have nothing better to do than to lie to you.

Every time I think you have set the lowest bar possible for your own ignorance, you move it lower.

On this board, you have established the largest differential between "what you claim to know" and "what you actually know". You have an unrivalled combination of arrogance and stupidity.

Repeatedly asking if we are cool does not make us cool. But if you insist on clown-trolling every thread, that's on you.

Different staff, same low character kid.

Nobody can sell me on this take. Especially when you're bringing in Lightfoot and preparing Malik Bryant to rush the passer in certain situations.

I'm not trying to sell anyone on this take. I'm simply explaining why I could understand Mario not being as personally offended by what happened on Manny's watch.

I'm more bothered by the math. And I'm great at math.

Advertisement
Idk if it was Flo or someone from his crew but they said the portal should be used for bringing in difference makers. I agree, I'd rather see a young guy play than bringing in a depth piece. I rather have Kelly Wayne or Lightfoot on the field.

Nyjalik probably out is why we are looking at de. Stroud probably pushing hard. I don’t see it I’d rather let things shake out in the portal with how tight we are on spots and also the fact he’s really a jag, you can’t spin it any other way. If we strike out then spin the block on him.

Advertisement
Back