The James Williams Evolution

Advertisement
If he does this he’ll play himself into a first round pick

We will see. I think he’s going to be in a good environment to take the next steps

He’s obviously talented but was a poster child for Mannys tenure here. Undisciplined, perhaps a little entitled, didn’t like to do the dirty work etc

I expect this to be a huge year from him though. His demeanor in his interviews plus just the demands Mario has for people, plus Guidrys style…probably the #1 guy I’m most excited to see this year (other than TVD)
Hate to be negative because I have high hopes but due to his body type + lack of fluidity, I feel like he has no chance of going in the first 2 rounds. That being said I think we’ll see a much better JW than we have seen these past 2 years.

If he doesnt improve his tackling, then it doesnt really matter. Needs to learn to wrap up and make the smart/safe tackle vs. looking for the big shot. Hopefully Zo gave him a reality check and he adapts.

He had a shoulder injury I think that bothered him a lot which made him not wrap up.

The whole defense needs to learn how to tackle honestly.

Advertisement
He had a shoulder injury I think that bothered him a lot which made him not wrap up.

The whole defense needs to learn how to tackle honestly
Thank you I’d expect someone with a Torn labrum to lead the team in missed tackles, but to lead the team in tackles (Mind you he didn’t play vs Virginia) too Says alot about the effort and team player James is. Like I said before "For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack." Just hate to see lil bro be unappreciated and undervalued by the Fanbase.

He'll do great if he can stay healthy. Shoulder issues seem to linger.

Advertisement
Heads up wrap up. Been saying it for a while. They should bring Steed back to coach JW. His tackling fundamentals even coming out of high school were great. Continued threw his career at UM.

Go Canes!

Remember the story about James scoffing at the notion of moving to LB presented to him by Alonzo? He's singing a different tune this year. Either it's because he knows his ceiling at safety is low, or maybe a culture shift has occurred and the roster is no longer a buch of entitled brats.

Any idea where I can find this specific quote about the weight? Thanks.

Start with 3min 15 sec to the 4min mark…very insightful on his part.

His post practice interview. He mentioned that essentially he’s bought into it, and that he was somewhat resistant to the idea in the past and that he nows accepts what he is turning into (that he’s not done growing) and he’s ready to do whatever it takes to help the team win - no matter the role.

Thank you I’d expect someone with a Torn labrum to lead the team in missed tackles, but to lead the team in tackles (Mind you he didn’t play vs Virginia) too Says alot about the effort and team player James is. Like I said before "For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack." Just hate to see lil bro be unappreciated and undervalued by the Fanbase.
1691509776306.png

Zach knows about wolves....

Advertisement

Start with 3min 15 sec to the 4min mark…very insightful on his part.

His post practice interview. He mentioned that essentially he’s bought into it, and that he was somewhat resistant to the idea in the past and that he nows accepts what he is turning into (that he’s not done growing) and he’s ready to do whatever it takes to help the team win - no matter the role.

@1:25 is James playing Backer last year, and the commentators saying he has to make the position move to get to the next level.

He actually looks good scraping down and making the play closer to the LOS.

If he does this he’ll play himself into a first round pick

We will see. I think he’s going to be in a good environment to take the next steps

He’s obviously talented but was a poster child for Mannys tenure here. Undisciplined, perhaps a little entitled, didn’t like to do the dirty work etc

I expect this to be a huge year from him though. His demeanor in his interviews plus just the demands Mario has for people, plus Guidrys style…probably the #1 guy I’m most excited to see this year (other than TVD)
There was definitely a lot of areas to criticize 0’s play but not willing to do the dirty work is not one.

It was mainly his poor discipline and poor technique but he played hard.

There was definitely a lot of areas to criticize 0’s play but not willing to do the dirty work is not one.

It was mainly his poor discipline and poor technique but he played hard.
Maybe the way I worded it wasn’t how I meant it

I don’t think he’s soft or didn’t play hard at all. Seemed like he avoided contact at times and as much as I hate the “Freelance” Coach Dorito vibes he seemed to do that

So I’m with you, however we want to categorize that

Advertisement
Bump... Thoughts on his performance yesterday?

With Kam obviously getting a ton of attention lately, I've always thought that James Williams would need to have a big year also to really solidify our D.

He had an up and down performance yesterday in my opinion.

As a safety, he had better coverage most of the time but still got caught out of position sometimes and took a few bad angles in pursuit.

He still tackles without wrapping up.

Bringing him nearer to the LOS pre-snap seemed to be where he was best. He seems like a much greater presence within 15 yards of the LOS and even directly causing havoc in the backfield and on the line.

Advertisement
Back