The James Williams Evolution

LuCane

Administrator
Administrator
There have already been a few threads about James Williams playing a more "hybrid" role this upcoming season. Many have mentioned he's likely to show more versatility and play closer to the LOS - Guidry supposedly convincing him to show all his skills to the NFL. Some have said he'll basically be more of an OLB.

A handful of posters have naturally mentioned how he needed to be more physical to play at the LOS. However, even if he doesn't quite evolve into a thumper, the point of this stand alone thread is that I think there's a key place for him in certain sub-packages and down and distance scenarios:

the skill emphasis I'd like to see most is blitzing from the Edge, out wide (and all the possibilities that come with that) - even beyond 9tech - and involved in Guidry's more exotic looks where he drops a DL into coverage.

Dating back to his True Frosh year, one of the attributes that stood out to me most was Williams' ability to close on the QB. The times we saw Diaz blitz him, he looked exceptional - almost like a giant spider - closing on the QB.

As I go back through last year's torturous games and individual players' HLs, I'm currently wondering who's going to help us make a significant leap in two categories:

3rd down conversion %: from 100th in the country to hopefully something above the 40th ranking.

Yards per play allowed: from 80th in the country to hopefully something like 35th (closer to ~5ypp).

To do this, I believe we need more efficient pressure on the QB (not just sacks) and we need to limit the big plays we consistently allowed. Not earth-shattering insight, I realize. A lot of those big plays last year were from complete breakdowns on the backend OR horrific angles from LBs and DBs. To this end, Williams struggled with some angles.

Getting him closer to the LOS and downhill chasing the QB is one way to use his talents and possibly reduce what we had previously seen as a flaw.

Of course, we still need to find a Safety or two to complement Kam, but that's another thread and topic.

Advertisement
There have already been a few threads about James Williams playing a more "hybrid" role this upcoming season. Many have mentioned he's likely to show more versatility and play closer to the LOS - Guidry supposedly convincing him to show all his skills to the NFL. Some have said he'll basically be more of an OLB.

A handful of posters have naturally mentioned how he needed to be more physical to play at the LOS. However, even if he doesn't quite evolve into a thumper, the point of this stand alone thread is that I think there's a key place for him in certain sub-packages and down and distance scenarios:

the skill emphasis I'd like to see most is blitzing from the Edge, out wide (and all the possibilities that come with that) - even beyond 9tech - and involved in Guidry's more exotic looks where he drops a DL into coverage.

Dating back to his True Frosh year, one of the attributes that stood out to me most was Williams' ability to close on the QB. The times we saw Diaz blitz him, he looked exceptional - almost like a giant spider - closing on the QB.

As I go back through last year's torturous games and individual players' HLs, I'm currently wondering who's going to help us make a significant leap in two categories:

3rd down conversion %: from 100th in the country to hopefully something above the 40th ranking.

Yards per play allowed: from 80th in the country to hopefully something like 35th (closer to ~5ypp).

To do this, I believe we need more efficient pressure on the QB (not just sacks) and we need to limit the big plays we consistently allowed. Not earth-shattering insight, I realize. A lot of those big plays last year were from complete breakdowns on the backend OR horrific angles from LBs and DBs. To this end, Williams struggled with some angles.

Getting him closer to the LOS and downhill chasing the QB is one way to use his talents and possibly reduce what we had previously seen as a flaw.

Of course, we still need to find a Safety or two to complement Kam, but that's another thread and topic.
I agree. He was never going to be a middle of the field roaming cover 1 safety or half field cover 2 safety. His best place box safety hook curl flat defender in cover 3 or a blitzer off the edge. I’m glad Guidry convinced him to do that. Maybe even play him as the hole player on pressures so he doesn’t have to cover too much ground

If he does this he’ll play himself into a first round pick

We will see. I think he’s going to be in a good environment to take the next steps

He’s obviously talented but was a poster child for Mannys tenure here. Undisciplined, perhaps a little entitled, didn’t like to do the dirty work etc

I expect this to be a huge year from him though. His demeanor in his interviews plus just the demands Mario has for people, plus Guidrys style…probably the #1 guy I’m most excited to see this year (other than TVD)

Advertisement
Doesn’t have to be super physical because he will be a hybrid s/olb so he can use his length in quickness in space to make plays. Blitzing him, having him cover TEs and Rbs and when you want to keep him back more at safety I think you can use a lot of robber coverages which would allow kam to do what he does best and be a center fielder and James can play the shorter zone over the middle

He talked about adding weight and realizing he was holding himself back by trying to keep the weight off. He seems to have bought into what Guidry wants him to do. Excited to see what’s in store for him.
Any idea where I can find this specific quote about the weight? Thanks.

Advertisement
Advertisement
TrumpyCane remembers @Brooklyndee telling everyone he shouldn’t be a safety like 3 years ago
As long as you remember brother. I know it's convenient for everyone to lump everything on but other than Mandy every coach he's been around at this level has told him he needs to be more versatile and safety ain't it. He's just finally been forced to realize THIS COACH ain't gonna put him on the field anymore in that same capacity.

TrumpyCane remembers @Brooklyndee telling everyone he shouldn’t be a safety like 3 years ago
I believe it. This chatter has been going on for years.

Here's a 2021 thread where I'm confused as to why he's "trying to stay slim" and about 7 pages of people arguing (some for, some against DB) his future role in a "multiple" Mario defense:

Here's a specific 2021 quote:

Again, nah. In this case, It’s been said JW is actively restricting his diet. I don’t know him, so I have no way to confirm. It was posed as a question in the OP. But, if he is working hard to stay slim enough to play S, then he’s only delaying the inevitable. If it’s a bogus claim, then who knows. He’s still at his best chasing QBs around and screaming off the edge (not as a DL, but as a blitzer).

Here's a breakdown by @Coach Macho on that same thread:

Advertisement
Any idea where I can find this specific quote about the weight? Thanks.
It’s in his player interview from Sat I believe. May have been Fri. It’s posted in Hoya’s practiSe threads. Also on hurricanes.com.

If he doesnt improve his tackling, then it doesnt really matter. Needs to learn to wrap up and make the smart/safe tackle vs. looking for the big shot. Hopefully Zo gave him a reality check and he adapts.
Played with a Torn labrum since the second or third game of the season and still Co-led the team in tackles. Think we should all put some respect on James name. Gods willing it’s a big season otw for him!!

We need the whole front 7 to key on batting that ball always. 20 would be a terrorist honing in on qbs on obvious pass situations.

Put Travis on blast and cause turnovers by any motherfückin means necessary.
578D2CA1-4EAD-423E-BD6F-27A11EE7DF65.gif

Advertisement
Back