The Invisible Hand Ain’t Ever Lied

TriStarCane

Coaching Carousel 2029
I am highly interested to see where our portal players will end up. I have been on the “we have talent guysm!” train since about 2010, but now we get a true sense of where we stand.

I will list all of the players portaling out below along with my guess for the level they end up. I’d love to see where everyone else thinks they will land. Also an interesting exercise to see how many talent evaluation savants we have, because it seems like we have 150 senior scouts on here at times

I’m giving a range because there are some G5 teams that are better than bottom P5 programs. Definitions are in order on the levels:

Top P5: Top 20 P5 programs (hint: not us)
Mid P5: middle of the pack P5 (hint: us)
Low P5: Really bad P5 teams (hint: Colorado for now)
G5: anyone not P5
FCS: you get it

Put your guesses on record!

WR: Romello Brinson - G5 - Low P5
DT: Jordan Miller - Low P5 - ❌ SMU
RB: Jaylan Knighton - mid P5 ❌ SMU
DT: Darrell Jackson - Top P5 ✅ FSU
CB: Isaiah Dunson - G5- FCS
WR: Keyshawn Smith - G5 ✅ SMU
S: Al Blades Jr. - G5 ❌ - Duke
S: Avantae Williams - Mid P5 ✅ Maryland
S: Keyshawn Washington - FCS
S: Jalen Harrell - FCS ❌ UMass
DT: Allan Haye Jr. - G5 ✅ Temple
LB: Avery Huff - FCS - G5
DE: Elijah Roberts - G5 ✅ SMU
RB: Thad Franklin - G5 - Low P5
S/LB: Gilbert Frierson - G5 - Low P5 ✅ Louisville
CB: Khamauri Rogers - Top P5 ✅ Miss St
OT: John Campbell - G5 - Low P5

Last edited:
Advertisement
I am highly interested to see where our portal players will end up. I have been on the “we have talent guysm!” train since about 2010, but now we get a true sense of where we stand.

I will list all of the players portaling out below along with my guess for the level they end up. I’d love to see where everyone else thinks they will hand. Also an interesting exercise to see how many talent evaluation savants we have, because it seems like we have 150 senior scouts on here at times

I’m giving a range because there are some G5 teams that are better than bottom P5 programs. Definitions are in order on the levels:

DT: Jordan Miller - Low P5
RB: Jaylan Knighton - mid P5
DT: Darrell Jackson - Top P5
WR: Keyshawn Smith - G5 - Low P5
S: Al Blades Jr. - G5
S: Avantae Williams - Mid P5
S: Jalen Harrell - FCS
DT: Allan Haye Jr. - G5
DE: Elijah Roberts - G5
S/LB: Gilbert Frierson - G5 - Low P5
seems reasonable and reasonably accurate. let's see.

Naturally 80% of the kids that portal out (at least) portal out due to not getting any playing time so therefore they are all going to step down to low p5 or g5

Honestly not really a valid conclusion can be drawn about where they land especially with the over 1000 kids in the portal and with the fact that Mario is essentially kicking some kids out who would have stayed and gotten a bit better with time

This isn’t a valid indicator at all

Naturally 80% of the kids that portal out (at least) portal out due to not getting any playing time so therefore they are all going to step down to low p5 or g5

Honestly not really a valid conclusion can be drawn about where they land especially with the over 1000 kids in the portal and with the fact that Mario is essentially kicking some kids out who would have stayed and gotten a bit better with time

This isn’t a valid indicator at all
Reasonable just on supply and demand but I’m interested to see if guys we thought were guys are takes for higher level programs. Do we have anyone that a contender would take?

Advertisement

I will list all of the players portaling out below along with my guess for the level they end up. I’d love to see where everyone else thinks they will hand. Also an interesting exercise to see how many talent evaluation savants we have, because it seems like we have 150 senior scouts on here at times

WR: Romello Brinson - G5 - Low P5 - UCF
DT: Jordan Miller - Low P5 - GT
RB: Jaylan Knighton - mid P5 - SMU
DT: Darrell Jackson - Top P5 - FSU
CB: Isaiah Dunson - G5- FCS - FAU
WR: Keyshawn Smith - G5 - Low P5 - Cal
S: Al Blades Jr. - G5 - USF
S: Avantae Williams - Mid P5 - Colorado
S: Keyshawn Washington - FCS - FIU
S: Jalen Harrell - FCS - Jackson St
DT: Allan Haye Jr. - G5 - UAB
LB: Avery Huff - FCS - G5 - USF
DE: Elijah Roberts - G5 - Duke
RB: Thad Franklin - G5 - Low P5 - Ohio
S/LB: Gilbert Frierson - G5 - Low P5 - Utah St

RB: Jaylan Knighton - mid P5
DT: Darrell Jackson - Top P5
S/LB: Gilbert Frierson - G5 - Low P5
I would put us in the Low P5 category fam.

Also, I like this idea, but it isn't too helpful because you have guys who have portaled out like Lingard who went to a "big" P5 school and then did absolutely nothing and are now portaling out again. Their landing spot may not be an indicator of talent but more of an indicator at what the risk apetitie a program has for that position based off of either what they put on tape or their old HS rankings.

RB: Jaylan Knighton - mid P5 (my guess is FSU)
DT: Darrell Jackson - Top P5 (FSU confirmed)
S/LB: Gilbert Frierson - G5 - Low P5 (I'll take a wild guess but say UGA - talented kid playing without a position here but a good vet edition at a top p5 playing situational snaps)

Advertisement
Brinson will end up at a mid P5 like Louisville IMO.

Talented kid who had great offers coming out of HS.

He just needs to desperately put on weight

Advertisement
I would put us in the Low P5 category fam.

Also, I like this idea, but it isn't too helpful because you have guys who have portaled out like Lingard who went to a "big" P5 school and then did absolutely nothing and are now portaling out again. Their landing spot may not be an indicator of talent but more of an indicator at what the risk apetitie a program has for that position based off of either what they put on tape or their old HS rankings.
Agreed but it’s the best measure we have of perceived talent. If a contending P5 team is taking you they see something

Advertisement
Reasonable just on supply and demand but I’m interested to see if guys we thought were guys are takes for higher level programs. Do we have anyone that a contender would take?
I know I’ve brought this Up recently in the board argument of Staff vs Players. I’ve felt the 1st problem is staff - like no way should we ever lose to MTSU - but that there’s plenty to blame on players too this past season. Some of the drool contingent took offense to this and a few of us said we’ll find out real soon what the free market thinks of our players.

I’m glad to finally see some objective forces show us where our players stack up.

Advertisement
Back