The hurdle that is UNC

Miami04

Senior
As I was sitting at the UNC vs Miami baseball games Friday night watching the canes lose another sporting event I watched them play at UNC it got me thinking about our history there. Even more so since we play at UNC this year.

In football Miami is 3-6 all time at UNC. Out of those 3 wins you have the miracle drive in 2013 to save a to that point undefeated season and the game saving fumble in 2017 against a 1 win UNC team and our 8-0 team. (The third win if your curious; we were up by 24 points and it took a sack with 20 seconds left to save the game. Held on to win 30-24 in 2011)

What do you all think it is about that place that makes us play so bad?

I also figured we probably had a terrible overall record against UNC since joining the ACC because of all the pain I feel about that place but surpassingly we are 8-9 against them since joining the conference. Since 2004 each school has won 2 games in a row in the series except one year. (I guess that bodes well for this year since we've lost 2 in a row) But no school in the ACC has consistently put beat downs on us like UNC, when we lose to them it is usually bad.

As it was getting cold Friday night and I watched us give up 4 runs in the 5th inning I came to the decision that UNC has passed VT as my most hated team in the ACC. (besides FSU obviously)

Advertisement
We’ve won the coastal once, ever.
So has Duke, UNC, UVA, and Pitt. The only repeat winners are GT and VT.

But more to your point we’ve spent the last 20 years thinking we are The University of Miami, football school. But in reality we have been a middle of the pack ACC team with one good season and a few decent ones sprinkled in just like the other basketball schools. Problem is we don’t have any basketball national championships to show off.

As I was sitting at the UNC vs Miami baseball games Friday night watching the canes lose another sporting event I watched them play at UNC it got me thinking about our history there. Even more so since we play at UNC this year.

In football Miami is 3-6 all time at UNC. Out of those 3 wins you have the miracle drive in 2013 to save a to that point undefeated season and the game saving fumble in 2017 against a 1 win UNC team and our 8-0 team. (The third win if your curious; we were up by 24 points and it took a sack with 20 seconds left to save the game. Held on to win 30-24 in 2011)

What do you all think it is about that place that makes us play so bad?

I also figured we probably had a terrible overall record against UNC since joining the ACC because of all the pain I feel about that place but surpassingly we are 8-9 against them since joining the conference. Since 2004 each school has won 2 games in a row in the series except one year. (I guess that bodes well for this year since we've lost 2 in a row) But no school in the ACC has consistently put beat downs on us like UNC, when we lose to them it is usually bad.

As it was getting cold Friday night and I watched us give up 4 runs in the 5th inning I came to the decision that UNC has passed VT as my most hated team in the ACC. (besides FSU obviously)
I was at the game two years ago and spent a lot of years there. For a big game (and we are a big game for them) they pack the stadium and all the fans and students are really into the game. It’s not a crazily intimidating atmosphere, but it is fun regardless of who you want, and it doesn’t let up the entire game.

Second, even though some of the games were not with these coaches, when Butch went back there, he obviously took it extra personal against us and beat us three times in a row. Even though historically we hadn’t played together much, I think it did lay the tracks for thinking they could beat us. Couple that with multiple ****** hires in a row and that cemented the difficulties. Plus, Mack is there now and there has to be that psychological advantage over Manny given he told him to hit the road while he was dc at texas. So they have also had two major psychological advantages with coaches associated with us or through their own coaches.

Third, and probably too out there, but I really do think it is the overall aura not with football obviously, but being a historical athletic power in multiple sports and still carrying the global connection of being associated with MJ and so much global branding and bball success. They can legitimately point to a major sport (men’s basketball ) and claim its overall historical and modern day relevance usurps the magic of what we’ve done in cfb. So, they aren’t necessarily in awe of playing ‘the U’ given they are a major blue blood in another sport and given that the global athletic branding associated with the university has been big time for so long. The intimidation factor isn’t there and, with point 2 above, we haven’t helped our case by hiring a single coach who can both recruit and scheme their way out of a paper bag in a very long time.

But more to your point we’ve spent the last 20 years thinking we are The University of Miami, football school. But in reality we have been a middle of the pack ACC team with one good season and a few decent ones sprinkled in just like the other basketball schools. Problem is we don’t have any basketball national championships to show off.
Basically, we’ve been bad. Sp nothing surprising about UNC record.

Advertisement
Alabama is week one. Hopefully every athlete is focused this morning on them. Once we beat them, hopefully we have the emotional maturity to worry only about app state and not the hype that comes with the week one victory. Every game is a monumental hurdle. EVERY game. I do believe this is the oldest team we’ve had in a while. I also believe they can take it one day at a time. If these kids want to get paid like men, they’re going to have to play like men. One game at a time. UNC won’t be easy. No game on the schedule will be. One game at a time. **** Alabama, app state and UNC. It’s our time again to be the best team in college football.

Really no excuses. If Manny wants to keep his job, beat UNC. That’s an average team that went 8-4 last year. ****, FSU beat them. This isn’t some unbeatable team with superior talent. It comes down to coaching and putting playmakers on the field

Advertisement
We've been bad, but UNC gets the best home cooked officiating of any team anywhere when they play us. I'll never forget the "roughing the passer" call when we didn't even hit their QB. I'm telling you, we were let into the ACC to be their Washington Generals. The administration knows this, and don't care.

They are a threat with Howell, but losing both Javonte Williams and Michael Carter is huge. You're talking about a 2nd and 3rd round RB gone. Does anyone know what their backfield depth looks like this year?

We've been bad, but UNC gets the best home cooked officiating of any team anywhere when they play us. I'll never forget the "roughing the passer" call when we didn't even hit their QB. I'm telling you, we were let into the ACC to be their Washington Generals. The administration knows this, and don't care.
Silly statement. Where is Miami going? To Conference USA or the AAC? Trust me, I cannot stand the ACC, but it was the only real option when the Big East was blowing up. Miami hasn't held up its end of the bargain. We have never won the ACC in football or really come close even when the conference was for the taking between 2004 and 2010. Embarrassing.

We have had more talent on paper than any other team in the coastal, except perhaps in 2012 when rapid roster attrition and a very weak 2011 class dropped our blue chip ratio to just over 20.

The problem has always been coaching, player development (at certain points), and coaching and infrastructure spending. So whereas Miami may have had the most talent in the Coastal, the certainly did not have the best coaching. And I’m not confident the school was spending more on their program than any other Coastal team. Especially during the days of Shannon and Golden, I doubt it.

Advertisement
Probably one of the biggest issues with our team we’ve had was when the U was stenciled on there helmet they think it will scare everyone to submit.

The Playmaker has had countless talks with them saying it’s the complete opposite it’s a TARGET.

he also talked about the Cane lineage who played before them and they owe them whom made this team.

So sorry to say it obviously fell on “ I know best ME attitudes” and have been paying the price for years ignoring our mentors.

Look how tough it is to get it back and it’s know where near back BAMA has it , Clemson has it and many others own it now including UNC .

THE OWN US AND WE KNOW IT , IGNORING IT IS ANOTHER HUGE MISTAKE.

What we had was so PRECIOUS yet so so fierce.

Now here we are trying everything possible to get back what was given each year on a silver platter to carry on .

Just my feelings

GOCANES

They are a threat with Howell, but losing both Javonte Williams and Michael Carter is huge. You're talking about a 2nd and 3rd round RB gone. Does anyone know what their backfield depth looks like this year?
They got a transfer RB from TN - Chandler was the leading rusher for TN the last couple of years but he didn’t look as good as either Williams or Carter.

Alabama is week one. Hopefully every athlete is focused this morning on them. Once we beat them, hopefully we have the emotional maturity to worry only about app state and not the hype that comes with the week one victory. Every game is a monumental hurdle. EVERY game. I do believe this is the oldest team we’ve had in a while. I also believe they can take it one day at a time. If these kids want to get paid like men, they’re going to have to play like men. One game at a time. UNC won’t be easy. No game on the schedule will be. One game at a time. **** Alabama, app state and UNC. It’s our time again to be the best team in college football.
That has nothing to do with anything.

Advertisement
Canes need to learn the next game on the schedule is important and be ready to play at start of game. Sadly this mentality has to start with the coaches and have not seen that for years

Advertisement
Back