The hurdle that is UNC

Quick count vs p5 teams going back to 2006 we're 74-75.
That's with playing Duke every year.
That's as average as it gets.

My guess is that we're a little better than .500 vs most ACC teams at home and a little less than .500 away.
No surprise.

Now back to UNC.
They don't have anything on us. They have one ****** game.
Watch how the narrative changes on 10/16.
Average coaches produce average results.

We’ve had nothing but mediocre coaches since 2002, with maybe an exception of Mark Richt who unfortunately just didn’t have enough left in the tank & was burnt out.

Advertisement
This year doesn’t set up well either. We are going to play uva on a Thursday, then have a bye and then play unc. Extra long bye doesn’t bode well for us

Average coaches produce average results.

We’ve had nothing but mediocre coaches since 2002, with maybe an exception of Mark Richt who unfortunately just didn’t have enough left in the tank & was burnt out.
In your opinion, can Manny be a "very good" coach by continuing to surrounding himself with very good assistants and players?
By very good, I mean producing a consistent top-10 team with a CFBPO run every 4-5 years. Thinking like a ND.

....or nah.

They got a transfer RB from TN - Chandler was the leading rusher for TN the last couple of years but he didn’t look as good as either Williams or Carter.

With the holes they were opening up last year it won't matter whose at RB. If we allow that **** again, we will again be embarrassed. Whatever Baker was calling, they saw it coming and gashed the **** out of us all game.

Every team on our schedule is capable of beating us. Has been the case since Manny’s first season. That’s why I scoff at people expecting just one loss this season.

I expect a 7 win season until our team can prove me otherwise.

Advertisement
Mack has manny’s number. He knows Manny’s weaknesses inside and out, knows the weak points in his defense and how to exploit them
I don't have any points to prove otherwise, but I disagree.

As head coaches they've gone head to head twice.
Yes, last year was an embarrassment, but it was just one game.
In '19, Mack needed Baxa on his side to pull that one out.

Two games is not a big enough sample size for me.
Let's bump this on 10/17.

Last edited:
So, you haven't noticed a disgusting bias in officiating in the ACC that favors Carolina teams? I'm not saying we have made good hires or lived up to expectations. Well, not OUR expectations. You will never convince me the ACC wanted us to come in and dominate when we get the calls we've seen for 15 years. Heck, even in 2017 every ACC team held our players left and right, and we got zero holding calls against the opposition. How is that possible in an impartial conference?

I'm not saying we have stunk because of officiating. I am saying ACC officiating stinks and we do little to nothing to fight back against it.
The silly statement is the following: "The administration knows this, and don't care."

As I stated, I hate the ACC because of its Tobacco Road bias. When FSU was kicking the ***** out of everybody in the conference, it didn't matter.

Look you can slam the administration for its incompetency, but what would you really like the administration to do? Miami has protested over the years. That is all but meaningless. I was in Charlotte for the ACC Championship game in 2017. We were getting drilled, but it was hilarious when Miami fans cheered when Clemson was actually called for offensive holding. Other than leave the conference for the greener pastures of the SEC, no Birmingham bias there, what do you suggest? My suggestion for the administration is get a **** of a lot better in football.

In your opinion, can Manny be a "very good" coach by continuing to surrounding himself with very good assistants and players?
By very good, I mean producing a consistent top-10 team with a CFBPO run every 4-5 years. Thinking like a ND.

....or nah.
In my honest opinion, I’m really not sure.

Idk if he’ll ever be a coach that has us at 10 wins consistently & winning the coastal on an annual basis.

But with that said, he has no excuses why he can’t this year, he has every piece necessary in order to make it happen, if he doesn’t get it done this season he never will.

In my honest opinion, I’m really not sure.

Idk if he’ll ever be a coach that has us at 10 wins consistently & winning the coastal on an annual basis.

But with that said, he has no excuses why he can’t this year, he has every piece necessary in order to make it happen, if he doesn’t get it done this season he never will.
That's where I'm at.

Advertisement
They lost some really good offensive weapons and there's no way to replace that but they have some pretty good options. Chandler will be a really good back. They have morales coming back from injury and two sophomores who played and have speed in khafre brown and downs. They have alot of depth and experience at oline.

The last two years they've recruited some really good dline and olbs. Their depth and size has improved alot. That's where they're going to see the biggest improvement. They'll miss surratt at lb. The secondary is deeper and they have some talent there.

They were an inconsistent team last year who could look great one week and bad the next. Expect us to get their best game every year.

Paul Dee got us out of the Big East and into the ACC. He knew where the revenue was for ALL SPORTS and we were attractive at the time. It's all about the coins.

every team has someone that gives them fits, plays tough. it's unc for us

Vandy gives florida fits sometimes for example. in 96 they gave Spurrier everything he could handle.

but that being said, if manny is as good as he once was at calling plays we will curb stomp them and I hope manny throws a hail marry on the last play up 59 to 0 fck mack brown

Advertisement
They are a threat with Howell, but losing both Javonte Williams and Michael Carter is huge. You're talking about a 2nd and 3rd round RB gone. Does anyone know what their backfield depth looks like this year?

WHEW now they'll only run for a buck 50 this year.

It started with butch owning randy, and now we have manny who can’t beat his daddy. They are very comparable to us in the acc and we think we should just be able to beat them because were Miami and they usually come to play knowing it’s a big game in the conference
That happened until Randy smashed Butch that last year:

2007: (L) 27-33
2008: (L) 24-28
2009: (L) 24-33
2010: (W) 33-10

To be fair, Butch didn't have (or recruit) a team of scrubs. Just looking at the offense alone:

2007:
QB: TJ Yates (5th Round NFL)
WR: Hakeem Nicks (1st round NFL), Brandon Tate (3rd Round NFL), Brooks Foster (5th Round NFL)
TE: Richard Quinn (2nd Round NFL)
RB: Gregg Little (2nd Round NFL)

2008:
WR: Hakeem Nicks (1st round NFL), Brandon Tate (3rd Round NFL), Brooks Foster (5th Round NFL)
RB: Gregg Little (2nd Round NFL)

2009:
WR: Gregg Little (2nd Round NFL), Brandon Tate (3rd Round NFL), Brooks Foster (5th Round NFL),

2019:
TE: Eric Ebron (1st Round NFL)

The first two years, Butch had NFL level talent scattered throughout the offense.

1st Round: Eric Ebron (TE), Hakeem Nicks (WR)
2nd Round: Richard Quinn (TE), Greg Little (WR/RB)
3rd Round: Brandon Tate (WR)
5th Round: TJ Yates (QB), Brooks Foster (WR)

And while Miami's classes were ranked higher, of the Miami teams of 2007-2010 where were those players drafted when they turned pro?

3rd Round: Jimmy Graham (TE), Leonard Hankerson (WR)
4th Round: Lamar Miller (RB), Travis Benjamin (WR)
6th Round: Richard Gordon (TE), Tommy Streeter (WR)
7th Round: Derick Epps (TE)

We’ve had one solid win against them in 10 years. Every other game has been a tough win for us or a beatdown by them. Don’t expect that to change, Manny is a poor gameplan preparer.

Advertisement
This year doesn’t set up well either. We are going to play uva on a Thursday, then have a bye and then play unc. Extra long bye doesn’t bode well for us
The results speak for themselves, so I get the narrative about underperforming after bye weeks.

But the sample size is small. Meaning, it could be coincidence just as much as it could be a trend that continues.

If you give me the option of having or not having a bye week before a big game, give me the bye every time. Maybe the trend continues and I’m proven wrong, but extra time to prepare is a positive, generally speaking.

Call me crazy but I would like to see how they are playing before I call them a hurdle.

A lot can happen between now and October. (Both good and bad.)

Advertisement
Back