The Hall of Fame case for Howard Schnellenberger

Howard was one of the greatest CFB coaches EVER.

He built both Miami and Louisville into top tier programs

This is a no brainer!!!

I'm actually shocked that wasn't already in. What's the deal??? What a joke!!

If OsU's Jim Tressel and Joe Pa are in, and jokes like Earl Bruce, Terry Donahue, and Lou Holtz are in it. There's no way Schnelly shouldn't be in there.

Advertisement

This is a no brainer!!!

If OsU's Jim Tressel and Joe Pa are in, and jokes like Earl Bruce, Terry Donahue, and Lou Holtz are in it. There's no way Schnelly shouldn't be in there.

I posted the College Football Hall of Fame requirements earlier.

Here's the reason why Howard will NEVER be in the Hall of Fame (under the current rules):

158–151–3 (college)

He does not have a .600 record. End of story.

the architect of the whole **** thing!!!! Effing travesty, to go along with all the other BS this program has had to deal with over the years from the NCAA, now we have a new fraudulent organization to deal with, great!

the architect of the whole **** thing!!!! Effing travesty, to go along with all the other BS this program has had to deal with over the years from the NCAA, now we have a new fraudulent organization to deal with, great!

It's not a new fraudulent organization, it is a very old fraudulent organization.

I posted the College Football Hall of Fame requirements earlier.

Here's the reason why Howard will NEVER be in the Hall of Fame (under the current rules):

158–151–3 (college)

He does not have a .600 record. End of story.

Guess I missed that. BUT anyway that's really sad OC. Guess I could be a HOF coach if Bama ever went crazy and gave me the job. Very hard to lose when you take over winning programs like so many of those "HOFer's" did

Think of ice skating or gymnastics. They include degree of difficulty in their evaluations of performance. Otherwise you'd get nothing but "one trick ponies" doing the same thing over and over. Howard took on the tough, nowhere jobs at the time. Miami, Louisville, and FAU ALLl had very little before Howard touched their programs. He was magic. BUT magic sometimes takes time.

I've always had more respect for someone, who takes on the challenges that test all of your skills ......versus someone whose is really just a passenger riding on an already built, well oiled machine that has HUGE pre-existing advantages

0000.jpg

My point is greatness can be measured in numerous ways and IMO Howard as a coach easily passes most. If anyone were building a great coach from scratch the end result and definition would be Howard Schellenberger. Only a handful of coaches on that HOF list could have taken on the challenges he faced and even approached his record. He truly embodied that saying that goes something like, "He can beat you with his .....or he can take yours and beat his" paraphrase. To me that is truly what greatness is and Howard Schnellenberger was truly great. I often, with regret, wonder how he would have been evaluated at the end of his career had he stayed with us here at Miami dominating for decades with what he built.

Of course, we'll never know... but that's how I'd feel whether I was Miami blind or not.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Guess I missed that. BUT anyway that's really sad OC. Guess I could be a HOF coach if Bama ever went crazy and gave me the job. Very hard to lose when you take over winning programs like so many of those "HOFer's" did

Think of ice skating or gymnastics. They include degree of difficulty in their evaluations of performance. Otherwise you'd get nothing but "one trick ponies" doing the same thing over and over. Howard took on the tough, nowhere jobs at the time. Miami, Louisville, and FAU ALLl had very little before Howard touched their programs. He was magic. BUT magic sometimes takes time.

I've always had more respect for someone, who takes on the challenges that test all of your skills ......versus someone whose is really just a passenger riding on an already built, well oiled machine that has HUGE pre-existing advantages

View attachment 59493

My point is greatness can be measured in numerous ways and IMO Howard as a coach easily passes most. If anyone were building a great coach from scratch the end result and definition would be Howard Schellenberger. Only a handful of coaches on that HOF list could have taken on the challenges he faced and even approached his record. He truly embodied that saying that goes something like, "He can beat you with his .....or he can take yours and beat his" paraphrase. To me that is truly what greatness is and Howard Schnellenberger was truly great. I often, with regret, wonder how he would have been evaluated at the end of his career had he stayed with us here at Miami dominating for decades with what he built.

Of course, we'll never know... but that's how I'd feel whether I was Miami blind or not.

Who needs the College HOF when Schnelly is buried in those College HOF ****ies!!

This is a no brainer!!!

He did a good job at FAU and Louisville. But I wouldn't say he did a CFB Hall of Fame job at either of those places. (Let alone anything that would qualify him as one of the best CFB coaches of all time.)

His job at Miami is really the only reason he deserves to be in the CFB Hall of Fame. If George Welsh and Earle Bruce are in the CFB Hall of Fame, it's pretty stupid that Schnellenberger isn't.

With that being said, Howard was pretty foolish to leave for a team that never ended up existing. He probably would have become an all time CFB legend if he had stayed. Instead he became one of the most forgotten CFB coaches of all time.

Advertisement
The only case you even need to make is that George Welsh is in. That said, most people can't even identify what city the College Football Hall of Fame is located in so I'm not going to cry too many tears for ol' Howard.
The college football HOF has been in three different states since the 1980's. The fact is, it seems to be a rather dicey operation. I'm wondering if it's had trouble staying solvent.

The college football HOF has been in three different states since the 1980's. The fact is, it seems to be a rather dicey operation. I'm wondering if it's had trouble staying solvent.

Seems to be so. They were barely getting 100,000 visitors when it was in South Bend. Although Atlanta is a better spot than Indiana or essentially attached to an amusement park in Ohio, I don't see it being anything more than SEC-centric crowds with maybe a touch of ACC visitors sustaining it.

I'd personally make it truly national and would put it in DC. The void of sports museums there might lessen the challenge of charging admission whereas so many other venues there don't. Do the induction ceremonies the night before the national championship game at those locations during the height of that media coverage. I'm sure eSECpn would run that in prime time.

Kinda seems like the NFL is really the only entity that gets it completely right. Has a great venue and does a great job with the induction ceremonies. MLB has an awesome venue but the ceremonies aren't as publicized. Basketball is a joke.

He did a good job at FAU and Louisville. But I wouldn't say he did a CFB Hall of Fame job at either of those places. (Let alone anything that would qualify him as one of the best CFB coaches of all time.)

His job at Miami is really the only reason he deserves to be in the CFB Hall of Fame. If George Welsh and Earle Bruce are in the CFB Hall of Fame, it's pretty stupid that Schnellenberger isn't.

With that being said, Howard was pretty foolish to leave for a team that never ended up existing. He probably would have become an all time CFB legend if he had stayed. Instead he became one of the most forgotten CFB coaches of all time.

Forgotten?? Where?? Certainly not here.

Almost any longtime Miami fan will tell you that he was one of our best coaches ... if not THE BEST

OC explain why he isn't in the HOF. Its strictly statistical

My point for bringing up those other programs was to point out how he took several almost nonexistent program and increased their renown. Builders seldom get recognition for what they built from the ground up. Its very difficult for ANY coach regardless of his qualities to immediately start having excellence.

Howard turned each of those programs into competitive winners. That takes time, program & player development, and establishing a culture of success. It never starts out as an immediate winner. It has to be built, and Howard did that consistently.

Not many coaches can actually say that they've built into winners one, let alone 3 programs....unlike an Earle Bruce et al who simply joined an already competitive winner and rode on its back.

View attachment 59493

Howard Schnellenberger is in the motorboating HOF.

Advertisement
The sad truth also still remains that if Howard hadn't left that he'd probably be regarded as a college legend on par with the all time greats and not what he is today- beloved by us but largely forgotten by the rest of the sports world. Case in point, that this article even had to be written and that there's not more of a national uproar about this slight from the HoF.

Howard being intentionally blocked from election to the HOF is a joke. It's one of the most retarded decisions in all of college football, and in a sport littered with retarded decisions, that's saying something.

As long as Howard was coaching, until the day he hung it up, he was always one of the ten best coaches in football. At any level.

Don't take my word for it. That was the opinion of Don Shula, Bobby Bowden, Jimmy Johnson, and longtime NFL GM's George Young and Jim Finks

Advertisement
Back