The Golden Age of Hip-Hop

Nas is very good, I’m not dissing Nas. I’m saying his catalogue severely fell off.

When you listen to Nas, is any of it post-2003? Serious question. He’s put out a lot of stuff and I’m just not a fan of his new ish. I don’t think that way about Pac, Jay-Z, Jadakiss, Styles P, etc. All their later stuff is just as dope as the early stuff. Some rappers just go commercial or lose whatever it was that made them great. I believe Nas’ new ish just isn’t in the same stratosphere as his early stuff.
C'mon bruh. I understand what you're saying but you gotta realize what's gone on. The man's career has essentially been over. Yet like plenty of other professionals (especially ones like him who's sales didn't reflect his talent)they stay around longer than they should and tarnish their legacy. Rakim did the same exact thing but you mentioned him didn't you? Rakim last 2 albums were straight up horrible. But none of that takes away from their body of work as a whole. There's a reason Jay switched over to boss instead of worker besides the financial side of things. Basically any professional that's had a LONG career starts to dissipate towards the end. That's in most careers that are based upon accepted results. His last album should've been stillmatic. But I can't knock him. Due to being the artist he was he was for the most part not accepted mainstream. That led to average sales for the most part. Ringtones weren't a thing in his timeline so his financial gains had limited revenue streams. That's like knocking Wu Tang for post Tommy mottola years... FACTS still are the man has a VERY GOOD CASE for the BEST HIP HOP ALBUM EVER... anyone that can say that don't need to prove **** else and definitely can't be compared to that lil booger Wayne. The culture has changed night and day. Now it's all about a catchy riff and the bpm. It's been trending that way for atleast 12 years. Lyricism in large part simply is no longer accepted and I can tell you from my own personal life as a label we simply ain't gonna put out music that don't reflect that trend. If we don't know we're gonna make our money than you take that track with you and get back in the lab. I've personally seen albums I know for fact would've been game changers sent straight back to the boards... It's just a different game now. It's all about trends now from a labels perspective. VERY FEW ARTISTS ARE ALLOWED TO BUCK THAT TREND.

Last edited:
Advertisement
C'mon bruh. I understand what you're saying but you gotta realize what's gone on. The man's career has essentially been over. Yet like plenty of other professionals (especially ones like him who's sales didn't reflect his talent)they stay around longer than they should and tarnish their legacy. Rakim did the same exact thing but you mentioned him didn't you? Rakim last 2 albums were straight up horrible. But none of that takes away from their body of work as a whole. There's a reason Jay switched over to boss instead of worker besides the financial side of things. Basically any professional that's had a LONG career starts to dissipate towards the end. That's in most careers that are based upon accepted results. His last album should've been stillmatic. But I can't knock him. Due to being the artist he was he was for the most part not accepted mainstream. That led to average sales for the most part. Ringtones weren't a thing in his timeline so his financial gains had limited revenue streams. That's like knocking Wu Tang for post Tommy mottola years... FACTS still are the man has a VERY GOOD CASE for the BEST HIP HOP ALBUM EVER... anyone that can say that don't need to prove **** else and definitely can't be compared to that lil booger Wayne. The culture has changed night and day. Now it's all about a catchy riff and the bpm. It's been trending that way for atleast 12 years. Lyricism in large part simply is no longer accepted and I can tell you from my own personal life as a label we simply ain't gonna put out music that don't reflect that trend. If we don't know we're gonna make our money than you take that track with you and get back in the lab. I've personally seen albums I know for fact would've been game changers sent straight back to the boards... It's just a different game now. It's all about trends now from a labels perspective. VERY FEW ARTISTS ARE ALLOWED TO BUCK THAT TREND.
NAS and Primo together are the epitome of hip hop in that era. It was the perfect combination at the perfect time in both of their careers.
I think big l had more potent star power and agree with this take as far as producers. What do you think about was LF has to say?

Rip my brother Chris. The game would be a whole lotta different if some of these boys didn't go out so soon. We had a round table on this early March right before the lock down. Real positive moves in the tunnel. Im Gonna stop here cause I can get carried away in this thread. For me this could be the best thread on here in a LONG time. Keep it positive and embrace the flood of memories.

He was a talented M'fr

Go Canes

Advertisement
Did you really just say FAB & even em(who u can argue em atleast from some angle regardless of his music just being a gimmick)when u said top 5 ever? Brother I'm gonna start a thread tommorow to bring y'all on a History lesson. We gonna go through the culture as a whole. Let's see if people can keep the guidelines relevant. I'll start this up tomorrow and if people stay on track and if @DMoney would like to do it I'll set up two different pod casts with nothing but legends on them. One a hip hop culture symposium & the other a canes legend bi weekly. I can provide all the guests and trust y'all will wanna hear anything said on either topic. I'll help a positive movement if we can keep this 100% positive. Anotherwords we can debate plenty. Debate is healthy. But everyone needs to keep it 100% positive and clean. No negative vibes. Y'all let me know what y'all wanna do

I clearly said MY list...I understand that not everyone agrees with me and I respect that. BUT, I will say that BIG and Big L belong in EVERY top 5 list. and I also feel that Drake should never be on ANY top list...

Ten yes. Like #10. That's sacrilegious to say five. God bless the dead. Who's top 5 than if u include him?

his flow/delivery, rhymes, everything...I replied to your top 5 response. And I’m always up for good discussion on this. I’m a junkie for good hip hop.

Advertisement
Shout out to HOT97, Funk Master Flex, **** *** Faith Evans and the best hype man ever Fat Man Scoop

Go Canes

Good post, my preference just differs on Nas. I'm not a huge fan of Eminem (early or late career) and some people think that's crazy. I recognize his lyrical talent, of course, but I just didn't like most of his tracks.

Man, the view counts on some of these CLASSIC songs gets me depressed. Meanwhile, Tekashi hops on IG Live today and gets 2 million viewers like it's nothing as he drops his new track where he brags about being a rat.

Not hating on the new generation, as I realize I'm not the target audience and I'll never get mad at cats being creative and getting money, but alot of these younger fans are missing out on some classic content. I feel like at least half of what I listen to in all genre's came out either before I was born or wasn't exposed to when I was younger. I guess the reverse argument can be made that I'm also missing out on alot of the newer kids as well. Gf was going on last week about some situation with Lil TJay and Rubi Rose, and I was like "who, and who?"

What ya'll know bout da Reggae Hip Hop colabo's. Sweaty house party time with Big booty girls back'n it up all night with the 40oz of St Ides in one hand and a big ole hip in the other.

61745dcb6188be3d0c48b0f6492e5030.300x225x1.jpg

Go Canes

Last edited:
Advertisement
Man, the view counts on some of these CLASSIC songs gets me depressed. Meanwhile, Tekashi hops on IG Live today and gets 2 million viewers like it's nothing as he drops his new track where he brags about being a rat.

Not hating on the new generation, as I realize I'm not the target audience and I'll never get mad at cats being creative and getting money, but alot of these younger fans are missing out on some classic content. I feel like at least half of what I listen to in all genre's came out either before I was born or wasn't exposed to when I was younger. I guess the reverse argument can be made that I'm also missing out on alot of the newer kids as well. Gf was going on last week about some situation with Lil TJay and Rubi Rose, and I was like "who, and who?"

I won’t hate on someone for making money but I’ll **** sure hate on their **** product.

I clearly said MY list...I understand that not everyone agrees with me and I respect that. BUT, I will say that BIG and Big L belong in EVERY top 5 list. and I also feel that Drake should never be on ANY top list...
I know it's ur opinion. Everyone is entitled to them. I agree on 2 of the 3 takes. Biggie is definitely top 5 & Drake shouldn't be top 100. Big L God bless the dead just can't be there but for me it's that fab take I took issue with.

Advertisement
I know it's ur opinion. Everyone is entitled to them. I agree on 2 of the 3 takes. Biggie is definitely top 5 & Drake shouldn't be top 100. Big L God bless the dead just can't be there but for me it's that fab take I took issue with.

ive just always been a huge Fab fan. Love his rhyme scheme. In the grand scheme of things, I realize he isn’t going to make a billboard top list. But I love the punchlines and delivery. Same with Cassidy and old Lloyd Banks. I love punchlines...

As for BIG, I just can’t put anyone ahead of him. He’s my Jordan and Jerry Rice.

Anyone who's ever had an actual appreciation for ANY form of urban music is no longer the target audience. That's not just hip hop. R & b is basically dead, blues, jazz & rock & roll (yes I said rock and roll while talking about urban music but not gonna turn this thread into that) have all taken on a different life. Music is now catered to the social media crowds who lack emotional & mental depth. There's no connection to music anymore. It's for people with short attention spans. I'm fortunate to have a few people on our roster who still deliver hip hop at it's essence. For me if it wasn't for a select few like j Cole & Kendrick I'd catch assault charges right and left over programmers these days.

Advertisement
Back