The Golden Age of Hip-Hop

I didn't fvck with either of these dudes outside of these tracks really, but if these weren't on your 90s playlists, you were missing out!

GYEAH!

Advertisement
Good list but N.W.A., Bone Thugs, and 2 Live Crew are somewhere in my top 10 of rap groups. I’m also a big Mantronix and World Class Wreckin’ Cru fan (which Dre and DJ Yella were part of before N.W.A.). Oh and Children of the Corn is in my top 10 of groups.
My thing with NWA, is their cultural impact was greater than their overall catalog. One album with Cube, N4L was solid as our most Dre productions, but what a drop off. They only put out two albums. Can't deny their status tho. Won't argue with Bone or 2 Live Crew, the latter especially. I think many discredit them as booty rappers, but they actually had some solid cuts on their albums and their influence in the South was golden (which is kind of funny when you consider they really started out in Cali). We rightfully clown Luke now for his old man screaming at the sky rants, but that guy will always be a hip hop legend. Was down with Biggie and Pac. Dude actually had Big on HIS album.

My thing with NWA, is their cultural impact was greater than their overall catalog. One album with Cube, N4L was solid as our most Dre productions, but what a drop off. They only put out two albums. Can't deny their status tho. Won't argue with Bone or 2 Live Crew, the latter especially. I think many discredit them as booty rappers, but they actually had some solid cuts on their albums and their influence in the South was golden (which is kind of funny when you consider they really started out in Cali). We rightfully clown Luke now for his old man screaming at the sky rants, but that guy will always be a hip hop legend. Was down with Biggie and Pac. Dude actually had Big on HIS album.
Agree with your point re NWA in terms of their discography. ****, IMO, E's Easy Does It album was better than anything NWA did other than N4L. Surprised no one has mentioned Easy Does It on this thread. That album was fire at the time! Funny story on NWA's N4L album...

I asked for that for Christmas one year from my folks. LOL I was pretty **** young. They get it for me, I open it up excited, but before I can listen to it, my pops grabs the tape, grabs a walkman, and heads up to his bedroom and locks the door. I'm thinking, uh oh! Mind you, my father grew up on the Beatles and Elvis. He comes out close to an hour later, tells me he thinks that music is absolute garbage and I shouldn't listen to it, but then proceeds to hand it back to me and never said another word about it. I was so blown away by that! Especially now that I am older and have my own kids. Now, you have to know N4L album well to appreciate the story. The irony is, he never did that again, and the one he chose happened to be probably the raunchiest album I ever owned. "Automobile" anyone? LOL He despised it, thought it was horrible his pre-teen boy would want to listen to that, yet didn't take it from me. He was smart enough to know I was going to listen to it whether he took it from me or not. So what he was really doing was educating himself, making sure he understood where I was, but not trying to control who I was. It was something I commend my dad greatly for (it was representative of his approach to parenting generally, really, even though he was a Lt. Col. in the Army and I had the strictest rules of all of my friends, hands down) and is something that has stuck with me to this day. What he did that day, will impact what I one day do with my own children.

Sorry to sidetrack the thread. Talking about that album made that story pop in my head.

Advertisement
Agree with your point re NWA in terms of their discography. ****, IMO, E's Easy Does It album was better than anything NWA did other than N4L. Surprised no one has mentioned Easy Does It on this thread. That album was fire at the time! Funny story on NWA's N4L album...

I asked for that for Christmas one year from my folks. LOL I was pretty **** young. They get it for me, I open it up excited, but before I can listen to it, my pops grabs the tape, grabs a walkman, and heads up to his bedroom and locks the door. I'm thinking, uh oh! Mind you, my father grew up on the Beatles and Elvis. He comes out close to an hour later, tells me he thinks that music is absolute garbage and I shouldn't listen to it, but then proceeds to hand it back to me and never said another word about it. I was so blown away by that! Especially now that I am older and have my own kids. Now, you have to know N4L album well to appreciate the story. The irony is, he never did that again, and the one he chose happened to be probably the raunchiest album I ever owned. "Automobile" anyone? LOL He despised it, thought it was horrible his pre-teen boy would want to listen to that, yet didn't take it from me. He was smart enough to know I was going to listen to it whether he took it from me or not. So what he was really doing was educating himself, making sure he understood where I was, but not trying to control who I was. It was something I commend my dad greatly for (it was representative of his approach to parenting generally, really, even though he was a Lt. Col. in the Army and I had the strictest rules of all of my friends, hands down) and is something that has stuck with me to this day. What he did that day, will impact what I one day do with my own children.

Sorry to sidetrack the thread. Talking about that album made that story pop in my head.
Dre definitely has a penchant for the extreme. You see elements of To Kill a Hooker/One Less ***** in Eminem's 97 Bonnie and Clyde and Kim.

To not have Nas in a Top 5 is Criminal....To not have EPMD in a Top 5 Group is even more Criminal...
Nas doesn’t crack my top 10. Name me some good Nas songs since 2003. He started off great but he really tailed off. A similar career trajectory in my opinion as Lil Wayne.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Nas doesn’t crack my top 10. Name me some good Nas songs since 2003. He started off great but he really tailed off. A similar career trajectory in my opinion as Lil Wayne.
Now we were having an intelligent conversation beforehand than you had to go and fvck it all up LIKE THAT! Please don't insult Nasir like that. We all entitled to opinions. But if yours is anything similar to what you just said than we need to get you off the ledge. There's GOT to be schedule one narcotics involved to form that opinion.

Advertisement
People sleep hard on bahamadia for many reasons. Probably mainly because of Roxanne & queen early stages. But to know she not only held her own but STOOD out in that crew tells you she's a beast.

Was too hard!

WU-TANG'S PERFORMIN AT THE FEVER!

This is still my ish. They did a needle drop with this on the American Crime Story OJ mini series. They played it after Johnny Cochran becomes the lead attorney for The Juice. I went crazy in the house. Perfect song placement.

WAKE YO PUNK *** UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now we were having an intelligent conversation beforehand than you had to go and fvck it all up LIKE THAT! Please don't insult Nasir like that. We all entitled to opinions. But if yours is anything similar to what you just said than we need to get you off the ledge. There's GOT to be schedule one narcotics involved to form that opinion.
Nas is very good, I’m not dissing Nas. I’m saying his catalogue severely fell off.

When you listen to Nas, is any of it post-2003? Serious question. He’s put out a lot of stuff and I’m just not a fan of his new ish. I don’t think that way about Pac, Jay-Z, Jadakiss, Styles P, etc. All their later stuff is just as dope as the early stuff. Some rappers just go commercial or lose whatever it was that made them great. I believe Nas’ new ish just isn’t in the same stratosphere as his early stuff.

Advertisement
Back