The GA Tech Stadium Experience

Going to football games is no longer a truly tenable thing to do for an entire season. The whole experience is just a litmus test for how much punishment you can withstand.

Our stadium being where it is you are are dealing with a legitimate 6 hour minimum out of your day to experience gameday. The commute is ****. To complete a 60 minute game takes 3.5 hours minimum while being subjected to straight torture as OP explains. And leaving that hellhole after 4.5-5 hours of seeing a terrible product is something I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.

Advertisement
for those who attended — did they have any free t shirt giveaways at the gate to ensure a blackout? Seemed pretty half *** looking on tv
No but i did see many people with a did tennessee checkered hat

I don’t like going to games. Never have. I’d rather watch all the games in my underwear, eating garbage food, then going directly to the bath tub with a toaster after our game ends.
Not sure where this comes from...I went to games for 20 seasons. Haven't been back because I moved. I was going to go the Clemson and UNC games but now I'm not going to waste the money.

I'd be all for it, but I doubt anyone in the UM Athletic Department would be able to listen to anyone with common sense. It would likely offend them.

I have decided to take this a step further though. I've mentioned this stuff in a couple of those post game email surveys that they send to season ticket holders, but **** it, this time I'm gonna go full Jim Jordan and write a sternly worded email and send it to some folks at UM.
This is the way.

This whole thread makes me sad. What I once loved is soundly dead and ruining the memory of what was once alive and great. Even as a teenager, I knew leaving the OB was a travesty and would likely cost us in more ways than we knew. Wrote this article in 2019 before our epic loss to FIU...

Advertisement
This is rough **** to read as an OOS Cane fan

But at least you kept your street cred with the people always in here talking about “GO TO GAMESM”

This is rough **** to read as an OOS Cane fan

But at least you kept your street cred with the people always in here talking about “GO TO GAMESM”
Since 1971 I’ve only missed about 15 home games, most of those when I lived in Israel.

The gameday experience is terrible. The DJ and the music is ridiculous, and like others I was hoping we would get called for a penalty because of it. However, the worst think about UM home games are the UM fans. Most of them show up for the music and to see themselves on the Jumbotron. The 20 something’s in my section were more interested in dancing than the game. Our so called fans have gotten trashier every year, and I think we have more a-hole fans than UF or FSU. My daughter actually prefers to go with me to away games than home games. Many of our fans seem to think that being a thug is a badge of honor and try to live down to that image.

Since 1971 I’ve only missed about 15 home games, most of those when I lived in Israel.

The gameday experience is terrible. The DJ and the music is ridiculous, and like others I was hoping we would get called for a penalty because of it. However, the worst think about UM home games are the UM fans. Most of them show up for the music and to see themselves on the Jumbotron. The 20 something’s in my section were more interested in dancing than the game. Our so called fans have gotten trashier every year, and I think we have more a-hole fans than UF or FSU. My daughter actually prefers to go with me to away games than home games. Many of our fans seem to think that being a thug is a badge of honor and try to live down to that image.
Appreciate the insight. Sorry to hear it brother. We get a bad rap as a fan base you would think with all these resources being injected we could figure out something here.

If you weren't at the stadium last night then you likely don't realize just how bad attending a Miami Hurricanes game has become. The stadium experience for UM games remains to be one of the worst in all of sport.

* Last night was perhaps the most subdued night game Ive ever attended. The crowd was late coming in as usual. By mid first quarter there were more people in the stadium than I saw at the Texas A & M game, yet they made way less noise.

* Games on the ACC network are the worst sporting events to attend. Every single game stoppage is met with a 3 minute timeout break. The crowd can never generate any energy. I've posted about this previously.

* EVERY - SINGLE - TV - TIMEOUT is filled with some stupid, non-football related nonsense. It's either a game on the big screen or media wannabe person saluting some random first responder or community activist or youth league team or other. It is a constant distraction from the game. I went to the TAMU game last season and there was none of this. Every TV timeout at A & M had the entire stadium talking about down & distance, what they're seeing in the game, expected play calls, players, etc.... You know, FOOTBALL TALK. That never occurs at a UM game unless you want to scream over the planned distractions.

* The DJ. If you read nothing else, read this. The DJ completely destroyed the game last night. He was out of ******* control. What's worse is that no one in stadium management seemed to know or care. He kept getting worse and worse throughout the game.

He consistently played music while the ball was in play. Many people in our section were getting ****ed and yelling for him to turn the music off. He was regularly playing music until the play clock got below 15 seconds. Twice during the game he did not turn the music off until the ball was snapped. (once during UM's offense & once during Ga Tech's offense). I kept hoping the referee would throw a flag on the DJ, simply because the UM Athletic Department is filled with drooling idiots who know nothing about sports. If it would have happened, I guarantee you the fans would have cheered that penalty against UM.

Some folks will take offense to my next point but this needs to be said:

* INSANELY DEPRESSING CANCER VIDEO. Late first quarter they played a 90 second video that was subdued, it had loud ominous, depressing theme music playing and went on and on about people having cancer, getting their lives destroyed, etc. I watched 45K+ people all fall into absolute silence. Cheering for a football game became extremely difficult for a good ten minutes. This was completely inappropriate for a sporting event. Just pathetic.

The stadium experience is so bad that I often wonder if UM is doing it on purpose. I refuse to believe people running an athletic department can be this incompetent.
All true. Gonna be that "Back in my day" guy, but give me the old skool OB experience. Just a few classic pump up tunes and let the crowd and Sebastian do their thing. All this QR code trivia, DJ infused "let's make this more entertaining" stuff works for the teens and girlfriends who people make come to games...but doesn't affect much else.

Advertisement
This whole thread makes me sad. What I once loved is soundly dead and ruining the memory of what was once alive and great. Even as a teenager, I knew leaving the OB was a travesty and would likely cost us in more ways than we knew. Wrote this article in 2019 before our epic loss to FIU...

It was the Fenway Park of football. Very few football stadiums had its history. That said, I don't think keeping it would have mattered much to our future trajectory. The decline was obviously well under way when it came down.

All true. Gonna be that "Back in my day" guy, but give me the old skool OB experience. Just a few classic pump up tunes and let the crowd and Sebastian do their thing. All this QR code trivia, DJ infused "let's make this more entertaining" stuff works for the teens and girlfriends who people make come to games...but doesn't affect much else.

I grew up watching both the Canes and Dolphins there in the 80s. We had season tickets to both, so that's all I knew. Was there for the 83 and 87 national title games, 1982 and 84 AFC Championships, 85 vs Chicago. When the Dolphins moved to JRS, the difference was pretty noticeable even to me as a kid. It became so much more commercial and more geared to people who don't necessarily care that much about the game.

I don't believe it is a "bad" stadium, if it was allowed to be more about football on gameday.

I don’t like going to games. Never have. I’d rather watch all the games in my underwear, eating garbage food, then going directly to the bath tub with a toaster after our game ends.
This made me laugh “toaster in bath tub”

Advertisement
Haven’t been able to come on this site or look at anything canes related since the game. It hurts me to do this, but I cannot go to a game until further notice. I want to support the team, and 1 game shouldn’t do this. But, after my track records of games, and the experience at the games and especially Saturday, im done for the foreseeable future.

First, experience at the game. I think the fans on this site are great. But the experience at the game, is terrible. Listening to people complain about how Dawson is the worst DC and they could do a better job for $50 bucks is insane. (I get the no knee was attrocious and terrible) but going into that game we had a top offense in the country and we’re humming. It wasn’t a good game. I don’t think anyone expected 12-0. But listening to fans complain the way they do. Boo a run call and then chear the next play because a player makes a great play is insane to me. I just don’t get the fan base sometimes. Saturday magnatized it and Saturday was not the first time I couldn’t stand listening to fans at a game. I watched begging for Jake Garcia to play, and then go back and beg to put TVD back in.

2. My unfortunate track record of games attended. This is almost embarrassing to share. And I feel like I just can never attend a game. But here is a running list of my last games attended. I’m sorry!

2023 Saturday GT: worst loss in CFB history
2023 Bethune: I mean it would be impossible to ***** this up.
2022 Middle Tenn State: One of the worst experiences ever. Vowed to not go again. But I did.
2021 GT: We won
2021 Central CC: Again, impossible to loose.
2020: UNC loss. Ran for 550 yards.
2018: Embarrassing loss at BC only scoring 14
2017: ACC championship blowout loss to Clemson

With that said, I still think this team is on the right path. I’m happy with the improvements and see the growth. Saturday sucked more than I can even describe. Hard not to feel like this program is cursed though. Saturday it felt like the universe did everything in its power to make sure we lost. Can’t make it up. I’m still sick to my stomach about what occurred.

I played high school here in Florida. Won state championships. I played in college for 5 years. Experienced 0-12 seasons and confrence championship. Felt like I’ve seen it all. Have never seen a team like the hurricanes go through what they have gone through. It’s mind boggling.

I needed to vent that. I won’t go to a game for a while to ensure my history has no impact on the outcome.

It wasnt fun from jump. The team came out flat. It wasnt exciting. At all. Team wasnt playing well. And we were playing GT like it was Bama level talent out there. Just crazy. Yeah..I left in the 4th quarter. I had enough. Sue me. Didnt even know we had lost until I heard it on the radio. That game was exhausting. So to talk about the fans is crazy. We were NEVER given anything to cheer for the entire night. LOL. From the very start.

Advertisement
* The DJ. If you read nothing else, read this. The DJ completely destroyed the game last night. He was out of ******* control. What's worse is that no one in stadium management seemed to know or care. He kept getting worse and worse throughout the game.

The DJ stuff was maddening and I observed the same thing you did with fans getting ****ed that they were still blaring music while the offense was on the field presnap.

This type of mismanaged **** has been going on for years, and it’s something I was hoping Dan Rad would clean up, but thus far it’s the same stupid ****.

That DJ is a serious problem. Some in the athletic department needs to step up and tell him to Fock off.

DJ's response: "Ain't nobody give a **** about no football game. The people here to listen to me, bruh"

Top Dawg Entertainment Rappers GIF by UPROXX

UM response: "We are trying to increase our fan base by appealing to as diverse of an audience as possible, including people who see games as an event and don't care one iota about football."

Honest to god I thought we'd get a penalty for the DJ playing music during the game, legit thought it was against the rules. He was ******* terrible. Was going ti complain about jim amd the refs before other **** happened
Refs called out Colorado's PA announcer for playing music while Stanford had the ball, warned if they did it again there would be a penalty

One other thing I forgot to put in my OP.

They NEVER show replays of penalty calls. NEVER. Only stadium Ive ever been in where they dont show those replays.

Replays in general were 100 X better at Temple..

Is the Game Day experience the responsibility of the Athletic Department?

Advertisement
Back